Info on Starlink RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toadhall

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Toad Hall
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40
For those interested:

Starlink RV terms allows a user to be out of his home country for a period of 60 days. After that you either lose service or you must change your mailing address to the new country.

We live in the pacific north west and go between the us and Canada all the time. Also, we want to head up to Alaska.

So I wanted to know what 60 days out of the country meant.

60 days a year? A lifetime?

So the answer from Starlink support.

“ the 2 month timer will reset as soon as your Starlink is powered up in the country it is registered in. Users are only limited for a 2 month interval out side the country, there is no limit per year on how many times you may perform this reset”

There you have it

Can you provide a link to the Terms of Service (ToS) that you're referring to? Starlink had been all over the map lately. They seemingly see the world by continent vs country, but they are fluid in their terms ,

While i appreciate the quote from the CSR email, I don't think anyone can speak for Starlink except Elon. Very fluid TOS these days

Peter

Last edited:
Thank you Toadhall. We are about to equip our boat with mobile internet because my wife's job depends on it.
My wife is currently leaning towards T-Mobile instead of Starlink because in her research Starlink supposedly does not work well in our area (Southwest Lake Erie) Our cruising this spring will be bringing the boat back from New Orleans, hopefully on the rivers to Lake Michigan. She claims Starlink shows weak through that entire area in flyover country.
Can anyone shed some light on Starlink from Southern Michigan/Ohio and south to the gulf for usage?

I was worried about my USA based Starlink RV stopping working while in Mexico.

I entered Mexico on August 1st and got a message on my starlink app "welcome to mexico"

I did not want to loose connectivity so I bought a 2nd Starlink RV, this one being the Mexico one. To do this I used a different email, and a Mexican phone number, and had it shipped to the marina in Ensenada.

Today the original starlink is installed at my house in La Paz and is working fine.

The mexican unit is installed on the boat and is working fine.

Starlink now also has Starlink maritime, which apparently only works on the water. Unfortunately Starlink maritime does have coverage in Europe, but you cannot use it as a pleasure boater. The required agreements with the respective governments have not been signed, so currently no Starlink on the water.
We do have Starlink RV in Europe, so am thinking of installing that on the boat, but am wondering if Starlink can figure out the Starlink is on a boat and not on a RV. When we are lying in a bay near a small island, 50 nm off the coast I guess Starlink can figure out there are no roads there, so no RV can get there.
It does keep me from installing Starlink on the boat, don't want to spend a lot of money only to find out it does not work.

Currently we work with a data simcard, but coverage of the mobile signal is not optimal in all places so lots of places where we have no internet or cell phone coverage. Starlink would solve that 'problem'. I know it is a luxury issue, but my wife does a lot of design work online, she needs good internet to be able to do her work.

Starlink now also has Starlink maritime, which apparently only works on the water. Unfortunately Starlink maritime does have coverage in Europe, but you cannot use it as a pleasure boater. The required agreements with the respective governments have not been signed, so currently no Starlink on the water.
We do have Starlink RV in Europe, so am thinking of installing that on the boat, but am wondering if Starlink can figure out the Starlink is on a boat and not on a RV. When we are lying in a bay near a small island, 50 nm off the coast I guess Starlink can figure out there are no roads there, so no RV can get there.
It does keep me from installing Starlink on the boat, don't want to spend a lot of money only to find out it does not work.

Currently we work with a data simcard, but coverage of the mobile signal is not optimal in all places so lots of places where we have no internet or cell phone coverage. Starlink would solve that 'problem'. I know it is a luxury issue, but my wife does a lot of design work online, she needs good internet to be able to do her work.
Question Mambo, what is the monthly service fee in Europe? US is $125/mo for RV, Mexico is $1100 pesos (under $60)

For that matter, how much is it in Canada?

Peter

Question Mambo, what is the monthly service fee in Europe? US is $125/mo for RV, Mexico is $1100 pesos (under $60)

For that matter, how much is it in Canada?

Peter

RV is 60 euro / month (about 70 USD) and the system is 450 euro. That is RV, maritime has not prices yet, only for the professional maritime (ocean going).

Can you provide a link to the Terms of Service (ToS) that you're referring to?

Limitation and Requirements for RV Users. Starlink for RVs is a consumer product only and is not available for purchase or use by commercial, enterprise, governmental or institutional users.

Starlink for RV can only be used within the same continent as the registered shipping address. If you use Starlink for RV Services for more than two months in a country that is different than your shipping address, you will be required to move your registered address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain Service.

Starlink does not guarantee when or where Starlink for RV will be available. Starlink for RV is dependent on many factors, including obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals. You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for (a) understanding and complying with all applicable laws and regulations associated with your use of Starlink for RV Services and the Kit; and (b) stopping use of the Starlink for RV Services or Kit if you are in an unsupported geographic location. You can view Starlink active coverage on the Starlink Availability Map.

https://www.starlink.com/legal/documents/DOC-1020-91087-64

Last edited:
Thanks. Upthread, Ksanders states he is using his original US RV plan at his home base in La Paz. Mexico Starlink is half US rates, but sounds like he can change the service address to Mexico, but I wonder if the Mexico rate will apply?

Also, once you opt for RV, I believe you cannot return to landed service which has priority but cannot be paused like RV can.

Simi - how much is Starlink in Australia?

Peter

@ $5000 usd/MTH pus $10,000 USD for hardware

That one is the commercial version, it is in use on cruise ships and cargo ships, which travel the oceans. You can of course also put it on your sailing vessel if you have enough money. :)

But in the US the maritime version for pleasure boaters is already available, saw a video on Youtube of a guy who had that type of contract and he was happy.

It just is not available as of yet in Europe. Pity.

Starlink for RV can only be used within the same continent as the registered shipping address. If you use Starlink for RV Services for more than two months in a country that is different than your shipping address, you will be required to move your registered address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain Service.

This is the problem in Europe.
Europe is one continent but consists of many different countries. When I travel from the Netherlands to Greece I pass through Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and finally Greece. Many retired people spend their summers, and sometimes also winters, on the road with their camper. They stay 3, 4 or 5 months in one country before moving on to the next one.
So when they register the RV Starlink to, e.g. home address in the Netherlands or Gemany, then spend 3 months in Italy, 3 months in Croatia and 3 months in Greece they would have to buy 3 new systems. That sounds a bit absurd.
In the US you can travel from the East to the West Coast, from North to South, spend a year doing that and you would not have left the country. And geographically speaking the US is larger than Europe.
Problem is that Starlink is not clear about these issues and there is no way you can get a hold of them.

E.g. this year we will pick up the boat in Corfu at the end of March. We will first spend 2 months in the Ionian sea, since the temperatures in April and May are already quite good. In June we will move up, spend time in Albania, Montenegro and then on to Croatia for the summer. Croatia will be about 3 months. Then we will move South again and make our way to Turkey for the winter, so be there for about 5 months roughly. According to Starlink I would have to buy 3 systems and in Albania and Montenegro I won't have any coverage.
If the RV version would simply work throughout Europe, with no country limitations then it would be the perfect solution. For Albania and Montenegro we will have to buy a local data card for the phone, but in all we would have internet absolutely everywhere.

That one is the commercial version, it is in use on cruise ships and cargo ships, which travel the oceans. You can of course also put it on your sailing vessel if you have enough money. :)

But in the US the maritime version for pleasure boaters is already available, saw a video on Youtube of a guy who had that type of contract and he was happy.

It just is not available as of yet in Europe. Pity.

Haven't heard of that and I follow the SL on boats page
Got a link please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-15-06-06-26-253.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-15-06-06-26-253.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 47
Got a link please?

Will go through my history of the browser, saw the video on December and that made me dive deeper into the Starlink maritime for Europe. But then found out it is not allowed yet in Europe.
The video was by someone who uses it in the States.
Hope I can find it again.

For those interested:

Starlink RV terms allows a user to be out of his home country for a period of 60 days. After that you either lose service or you must change your mailing address to the new country.

We live in the pacific north west and go between the us and Canada all the time. Also, we want to head up to Alaska.

“ the 2 month timer will reset as soon as your Starlink is powered up in the country it is registered in. Users are only limited for a 2 month interval out side the country, there is no limit per year on how many times you may perform this reset”

There you have it

One person’s experience: we installed Starlink on our trawler this past summer. Left Newport in September, crossed over to the Bahamas in early November. Just now passing 2 months out of NA.
On the trip south we were at times up to 60 miles off shore. We run at < 10 knots. The system has operated continuously. There have been short outages, maybe a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. This intermittent service was more pronounced when seas were rough, when we swung at anchor, or during heavy rain.
Data rates were 40-120 mbps range in the US, as high as 180mbps at times in the Bahamas. Streaming HD has been the norm, albeit w occasional drops.
A number of boats down here w Starlink, but none of us has been here more than 2 months so no experience with the limit.
We will keep you all posted.

Got a link please?

Found one of the videos of SL on a pleasure boat. He is using the SL RV version, but when you hear where he uses it, it becomes pretty amazing. Still searching in my history for the maritime version of SL for pleasure yachts. But will get to that as well.

For those interested:

There you have it

We’ve been using Starlink in Mexico for over three months with no problem so don’t worry.

I have a vague recollection from an earlier thread that the RV version would drop service once you were some small distance off shore, from memory 10 miles. From what Toadhall and SailorGreg have posted, they appear to not be limited to close to shore. So this limitation has been dropped or was never there? Anyone with experience in the 50 to 100 mile off shore distance, bearing in mind the limitations of the RV equipment on a rolling boat. Particularly interested in any Australian users. Very keen to get away from limited flaky Iridium service but pretty expensive monthly in Australia.

Somewhere I saw reports on good service at Lady Musgrave and the Cod Hole at top of Ribbon Reef #10. Not sure about service out wider than that, but I can live with that coverage and installed an RV unit 2 weeks ago. Advantage of RV is ability to pause monthly subscription if course.

Gradual course changes of around 100° seems to trigger a repositioning. A bit of rolling at anchor doesn't seem to bother it. Still early days for me, but a happy camper for sure.

I have a vague recollection from an earlier thread that the RV version would drop service once you were some small distance off shore, from memory 10 miles. From what Toadhall and SailorGreg have posted, they appear to not be limited to close to shore. So this limitation has been dropped or was never there? Anyone with experience in the 50 to 100 mile off shore distance, bearing in mind the limitations of the RV equipment on a rolling boat. Particularly interested in any Australian users. Very keen to get away from limited flaky Iridium service but pretty expensive monthly in Australia.

We’ve traveled 60 miles offshore for three different overnighters in Mexico and still no issues. All good.

Thank you Toadhall. We are about to equip our boat with mobile internet because my wife's job depends on it.
My wife is currently leaning towards T-Mobile instead of Starlink because in her research Starlink supposedly does not work well in our area (Southwest Lake Erie) Our cruising this spring will be bringing the boat back from New Orleans, hopefully on the rivers to Lake Michigan. She claims Starlink shows weak through that entire area in flyover country.
Can anyone shed some light on Starlink from Southern Michigan/Ohio and south to the gulf for usage?

I chose the T-mobile $50 device. I came down the the inland rivers last fall and there are few places where it connected. On the southern Illinois river, At&t was the only service that connected. I have Verizon, T-mobile and its little brother GoogleFi. I got Butkis during that portion of the trip, while friends of mine had decent connectivity with At&t service. The T-mobile signal was very spotty on the Mississippi, Ohio and TennTom.

On the east coast Tmobile was very good. We were early adopters and have old equipment. Now there is a new and improved device so it may have better connectivity.

I used a cell extender and that was a big help. I felt the extender was necessary for the Tmobile device to be effective. I don't have an inverter so I used a small lithium ion "generator" to plug the Tmobile device into so it was on 24/7.

I'm not sure TMobile is everywhere enough on the rivers to rely on for business.

Mike

We had good Starlink RV Mex connection all the way down Baja from Ensenada to Cabo and up to Santa Rosalia. Couple legs were off shore 30+ miles, no problema.

Somewhere I saw reports on good service at Lady Musgrave and the Cod Hole at top of Ribbon Reef #10. Not sure about service out wider than that, but I can live with that coverage and installed an RV unit 2 weeks ago. Advantage of RV is ability to pause monthly subscription if course.

Gradual course changes of around 100° seems to trigger a repositioning. A bit of rolling at anchor doesn't seem to bother it. Still early days for me, but a happy camper for sure.

I'm thinking of it for Australia - half price on the hardware, but still about A$170pm for the RV version :angel:.

@insequent, sounds like it's a good one for you: do you also have mobile coverage with Telstra or the like? I was wondering how far off the east coast that'd cover us for.

Anyone else on here gone the route in Oz? (@simi?)

I've had a CelFi-Go (Telstra network) for 5 years or so with antenna quite high and that increased mobile coverage a bit. I also use a Netgear Nighthawk broadband device and suspect that external antenna's for it would be just as good.

But at Lady Musgrave, 65nm offshore, it was all pretty patchy. SMS's would arrive at odd times more often in the early hours of the morning, long after being sent. Elsewhere along the coast it was a similar story so I'd say around 50nm is the limit. Having said that, I found in the Whitsunday's in general that mobile reception was dependant on not having hills nearby to the west.

Starlink changes everything. Yes, the monthly charge here is expensive but service can be paused. Now that I have it mounted etc I'll pause it until I head to more remote places than Moreton Bay.

I'm thinking of it for Australia - half price on the hardware, but still about A$170pm for the RV version :angel:.

@insequent, sounds like it's a good one for you: do you also have mobile coverage with Telstra or the like? I was wondering how far off the east coast that'd cover us for.

Anyone else on here gone the route in Oz? (@simi?)

Refused to go the cellfigo route
1) it's a height based thing and powered vessels don't have it
2) it won't boost a signal unless you have a signal to start with
3) I hate telstra

Starlink on the other hand is working a treat
Full strength from top of Fraser out through the Bunkers and on to island Head for us so far.
Others I know personally claim it has done offshore Whitsunday reefs, south along the reef and on outside Fraser to Moreton Bay
Reports online claim it working as far north as Lizard and outer reef.

We are back at Musgrave now
We are downloading movies, video chat with mother, have signed contracts on sale of a property, even called out on WhatsApp and had fresh prawns, avocados and bread turn up.
Amazing stuff and hasn't missed a beat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-01-13-05-39-197_1.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-02-01-13-05-39-197_1.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I've had a CelFi-Go (Telstra network) for 5 years or so with antenna quite high and that increased mobile coverage a bit.

[SNIP]

My new boat has a Telstra Go booster installed with an antenna on the very top of the mast. But I am a Belong customer and trying to figure out if it will work with my service. Belong uses the Telstra network so am hopeful it will work, but cannot find any information online relating to using this with Belong.

Here is a pic of my device, which I think is a Telstra badged CelFi-Go product.

Anybody know?

BTW sorry for the thread hijack!

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom