Change from State Registration to CG Documented

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agree perhaps not a scam bout RIP OFF, $900?????

All I know is the one time I was stopped by a LEO, the USCG in my case, the Coasties wanted to see my certificate.

If you are USCG documented, then you would not post state registration numbers on your vessel. This is the case even if you are state registered as well. A documented vessel with a state reg. would post the state(s) registration stickers only.

I suspect you have no reg numbers on your bow, therefore they assumed you were USCG documented, at which point the USCG would typically want to see the documentation that they issued to you.

If you had reg. numbers, then they would have asked for your registration, though they typically simply ask me "Can I see your paperwork"?

Please stop with the 'scam' angle. The fact that people don't do their due diligence doesn't make it a scam. As stated... it's a service. They are entitled to charge what they want for the service. You are entitled to do your own research.

Lack of due diligence doesn't make the service a scam. Please stop the insanity.

No, it is a scam when they send out letters that look like they came from the real CG office. And they give you a website address that looks like it is the CG office website. I can't tell you how many boating forum posts I have read in the past 6-7 years from people pissed they fell for the scam thinking they were dealing with the REAL CG....me included.

As far as the "Service" aspect...just what service are you getting when you pay $75 to a service company and it takes you 3-4 minutes to fill out the online form vs paying $26 to the CG office and taking 3-4 minutes to fill out the online form.

Usually when you finance a boat they will require the use of a documentation company because they want to make sure it is done correctly and their mortgage on the boat is properly recorded.

As to the cost of their services, it is what it is. If you are able to do it yourself then do it. If the mortgage company requires the use of a service then you have to pay the cost. But to complain about the fees is sorta useless.

I don’t disagree with what you said. However, a lot of people use services just because they don’t know they can go direct to the Coast Guard Doc office to get everything done for a lot less money.
This is especially true about all the people who got scammed into using a service for a simple renewal paying $75 when the CG office charges $26.

I'm sorry you got scammed. Hopefully you've learned to be more diligent with whom you send money too.

No, it is a scam when they send out letters that look like they came from the real CG office. And they give you a website address that looks like it is the CG office website. I can't tell you how many boating forum posts I have read in the past 6-7 years from people pissed they fell for the scam thinking they were dealing with the REAL CG....me included.

As far as the "Service" aspect...just what service are you getting when you pay $75 to a service company and it takes you 3-4 minutes to fill out the online form vs paying $26 to the CG office and taking 3-4 minutes to fill out the online form.
Misleading... absolutely but scam absolutely not or it would be illegal.

It's a prime example of misleading marketing / advertising and those uneducated fall for it. Anyone can educate themselves re the USCG NVDC Fees and steer clear of anything with a premium attached.

Doordash and other food delivery services charge more that you can purchase the same meal yourself but they are not scams.
For that matter you can sell your boat yourself vs paying brokerage fees but that doesn't make that a scam.
Uneducated folks are always looking to blame someone else for THEIR mistakes. if you are not familiar with something do your due diligence and educate yourself.

Back
Top Bottom