Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent name! Looking forward to messing around in our respective boats with all of you in the finest cruising grounds anywhere.

Jeff and Barbara and Bernie (woof) and Phyllis (woof, woof)

Scott’s team will arrive on January 8th to put the FB back on, other commissioning work, and take us through the systems. After the boat was blocked in the yard, we spent a full day on board. The boat is even more impressive than I remember from my tour of one in Seattle in 2021, and again this fall in Hilton Head.

I hope today is the big day. We look forward to hearing about the commissioning. It’s been kind of quiet on this thread lately. We have no word on when our boat is coming back to the west coast. Hoping to hear updates on the other boats in the Helmsman pipeline.

Hey Doug! Van and Kevin will be out here this week to get the flybridge back on the boat, so we should be closing on the boat later in the week. We are collecting the gear we need for the first ride in the boat. Next week we will be back down and get her outfitted, with electronics to follow the next week. That is the plan right now.

Hang in there. I am sure your boat will be booked soon and headed your way just in time for the weather breaking!

Scott’s team will arrive on January 8th to put the FB back on, other commissioning work, and take us through the systems. After the boat was blocked in the yard, we spent a full day on board. The boat is even more impressive than I remember from my tour of one in Seattle in 2021, and again this fall in Hilton Head.

Exciting times! Scott and Van will do a great job. Just a bit longer and you will be enjoying your new 38E!

That's exciting news, Helmsman. Can't wait to hear more about your experience. Please share tons of photos. We'll live vicariously through you while we wait to hear about EmBark.

Permission to embark on our EmBark!

Hi, Our vessel E/V EmBark now has a final approved design.

Embark!.jpg

All Dogs are welcome. And a few swabbies.:cool:

- Tom

Perfect! That’s going to look great on your boat, shirts, hats, etc. we can’t wait to meet her.

Stern line

Two Truths.. Where did you end up selecting a stern line system design?

A while back, you said:

I am considering three options (but there may be others):
braided polypropylene line stored on a spool (seems the most common)
Ultraline flatrope on a dedicated wheel (expensive)
braided polypropylene line stored in a bag.

I sent a request for pricing to the lady with the bag. That makes sense to me, and after years of crabbing and shrimping, using a basket/tub/bucket/bag to drop the line in works great as long as you don't try and wrap up the line tidy and drop it in - that will create a mess coming out.

Thanks, Tom

A while back, you said:

Thanks, Tom

I purchased a 600' reel of Samson braided polypropylene line, and keep it flaked in an Ikea "Frakta" bag, which is dirt cheap on Amazon (2 for $7). It worked perfectly last summer, and is easily stored in the cockpit lazarette. I was not interested in the bag system seen on Youtube, for a few reasons. It only holds 300' of line, which doesn't seem adequate to me. It is a bit too clever and complicated. (After pulling in the line, you would have to take it apart and reflake the two sections separately. I just flake it directly back into the bag and am done with it.) Finally, if I remember correctly, it was way expensive. The Ikea bag is next to free.

The simple "flaked in a bag" stern-tie can be deployed and recovered just as fast as a reel, is light, and takes up no room at all when not in use. And if you come from sailing, flaking the line gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

kayak rack

Does anyone have a solution they like for the 38E to carry kayaks.

We have two singles and a double Hobie. The double weighs almost 100 pounds. one solution so far is the Magma rack. A bit $ for what you get, so not sure what else is out there.

My worries is 100 pound cantilevered hanging on the stanchions.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/mamr10-626-20-magma-removable-rail-mounted-kayaksup-rack-wi.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&utm_term=1100200315462&utm_content=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products

I purchased a 600' reel of Samson braided polypropylene line, and keep it flaked in an Ikea "Frakta" bag, which is dirt cheap on Amazon (2 for $7). It worked perfectly last summer, and is easily stored in the cockpit lazarette. I was not interested in the bag system seen on Youtube, for a few reasons. It only holds 300' of line, which doesn't seem adequate to me. It is a bit too clever and complicated. (After pulling in the line, you would have to take it apart and reflake the two sections separately. I just flake it directly back into the bag and am done with it.) Finally, if I remember correctly, it was way expensive. The Ikea bag is next to free.

The simple "flaked in a bag" stern-tie can be deployed and recovered just as fast as a reel, is light, and takes up no room at all when not in use. And if you come from sailing, flaking the line gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I think the Ultra flat web reels are still much faster, not that it matters much. An advantage too is a bridle is less necessary as they would be much easier on the bark of live trees. They also store quite easily.

Maximum length is probably around 350', but I'm frankly wondering why you think 600' was necessary? Are you worried about boats going between you and where you stern tied at that length? In Desolation the drop offs are often steep so wouldn't/couldn't be that far away either.

I do agree they are premium priced, and for infrequent use expensive.

Here's someone reviewing/demonstrating one, though they are a dealer.

Note since their review Ultra replaced the polypropylene line with stronger narrower Dyneema, which was 2x the strength, took up less room, and eliminated the wind hum (if you didn't twist your line) since it is something like half the width of the older.

Last edited:

A while back, you said:

I sent a request for pricing to the lady with the bag. That makes sense to me, and after years of crabbing and shrimping, using a basket/tub/bucket/bag to drop the line in works great as long as you don't try and wrap up the line tidy and drop it in - that will create a mess coming out.

Thanks, Tom

Went to Michaels, bought two large canvas bags, sewed them together and now I have a stern line system/bag.

Wow Thanks. If you happen to have a link or know the size, let me know. Curious, did you look for a mesh duffle bag? As I would assume the Ikea bag would retain the saltwater drip off the line?

I found this (more $) but your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085H9RHZJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2J55WVT8HCU9D&psc=1

If you mean the size of the line, I purchased a 600' spool of 1/2" line, which is about the same price of buying 450' by the foot:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/samson-rope-mfp-float-line/461-032-106-020

If you mean the bag, here is an Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Large-S...673472603&sprefix=ikea+bag,aps,87&sr=8-3&th=1

You need a bag that stays open easily. The mesh bag in your link is more of a duffel, and may not remain open. In any case, I have not found moisture in the bag to be a problem. I usually leave it out in the sun before putting it in the lazarette.

Does anyone have a solution they like for the 38E to carry kayaks.

We have two singles and a double Hobie. The double weighs almost 100 pounds. one solution so far is the Magma rack. A bit $ for what you get, so not sure what else is out there.

My worries is 100 pound cantilevered hanging on the stanchions.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/mamr10...200315462&utm_content=Shopping - All Products

We have used the garhaur racks in the past, and are now using the Magma racks. I like the magma MUCH better and think they are worth every penny extra. The padded cradle is good, but they also swing/pivot which allows you to open them up to get the kayak in and out, but snug them tight for storage. The Garhaur are in one position and not moving

I think the Ultra flat web reels are still much faster, not that it matters much. An advantage too is a bridle is less necessary as they would be much easier on the bark of live trees. They also store quite easily.

Maximum length is probably around 350', but I'm frankly wondering why you think 600' was necessary? Are you worried about boats going between you and where you stern tied at that length? In Desolation the drop offs are often steep so wouldn't/couldn't be that far away either.

I am not sure where one would put the Ultra flat web reel on a H38. Has anyone done this?

As for length, we are new to stern tying, so as we improve it may turn out that we could do with much less. But here are my calculations:

If we want to end up one or two boat lengths from shore (and taking into consideration that the shore approaches as the tide goes out), then we may need at least 2X100'. (We double everything as we want the line to come back to the boat.) And that 200' doesn't give you much of a margin. If an appropriate tree is well up from the shore, you may quickly find yourself needing an additional 100' or so. So now we are up to a minimum of 300'.

However, there are usually just the two of us on our boat; my wife is on the stern making sure the line plays out properly, and I am in the dinghy going to shore. As there is nobody to man the helm and keep the boat in position while I am going to shore, we shut down the engine after the anchor is set to keep things quiet and safe. But, while I fumble about in the dinghy trying to get to shore and back, it is not unusual for current and/or wind to start swinging the boat away from the shore. If there is a lot of anchor rode out this can mean that, by the time I am back at the boat, we may have had to let out another 100' or more. Of course, all this extra line gets pulled back in as you snug everything up. And as we get more proficient, I am sure it will take less time and thus we will need less of a buffer. But in the meantime, given that we have found stern-tying a bit stressful, with 600', I am thankful that running out of line is not one of my worries. From my limited experience, I would recommend at least 400' for areas like Desolation Sound and the Broughtons.

It may have been linked already, but we have a stainless reel from fisheries. The cost was very reasonable. It’s loaded with I think 600’ of 1/2” poly line, but it might be 400’.

One thing to consider with a bag or bucket is where you are going to store it. It’s great to bring things aboard, but then you need find a place to keep it.

What I like about the reel is that it’s simultaneously staged and ready to deploy, while also being stowed away. What could be better?

I’ll also note than in all the time I have spent in the PNW, I have never done a stern tie, so never used the stern reel or line…… you can make of that what you want….

Reply to two posts.

1 HIGHLY recommend the Magma racks. We have used them for years and they are holding both our kayaks as we speak. I may have posted about this earlier, but you have to watch out for pilings when docking.

2, I know this will be unpopular but we put 300' of polypro line flaked into a five gallon bucket. We just put the top on it and stow it in the lazarette. We get the reason for longer lines, but this has served us well in the PNW.

Well, the Mishy Jean is “in the barn”. Van and Kevin put the top back on her this week and she is ready to go. We spent time with both Van and Gary going over systems and took her out for an orientation ride over the last two days It was a really enjoyable experience to spend time with them both.

We really appreciated the laid back approach the Helmsman team uses when doing orientation and training. They are thorough, know their stuff, and they make the complex simple, and quite frankly, they are just fun to hang out with. Really good teachers.

The boat is exactly what we were hoping for. The quality of the build is top shelf. The fit and finish is the best I have seen on any boat, and I, like many of you, have been on many, many boats of all shapes and sizes.

The lighting on the boat is outstanding. My wife was on the phone with family talking about how well thought out the lighting scheme is on our ride back.

The engine room is roomy for this size boat, easy to move around in, and laid out very logically. The electrical work is very well laid out, circuits, switches, ACR’s, batteries, are all clearly labeled, and easy to trace. The false floor makes moving around extremely easy throughout.

I was surprised at how smoothly the boat moves through the water. It feels like it is gliding. The wheel keeps the heading it is on. If you lighten the touch it continues as if you are holding her straight. It is much easier to maneuver than I thought it might be. My first thought behind the helm was that it had the same feel as the first Lexus I drove.

We are really happy with the boat, and with the decisions we made with the Helmsman team. They are easy to work with, care about their customers, fun to be around, and build a great boat. We couldn’t have wished for a better experience throughout the process.

For those awaiting delivery of your boat, hang in there. I believe it will be well worth the wait. It certainly was for us!

Pics to come, after we “move in” next week.

Congratulations and Helmsman comes through again! I really enjoyed your post!!

Well, the Mishy Jean is “in the barn”. Van and Kevin put the top back on her this week and she is ready to go. We spent time with both Van and Gary going over systems and took her out for an orientation ride over the last two days It was a really enjoyable experience to spend time with them both.

We really appreciated the laid back approach the Helmsman team uses when doing orientation and training. They are thorough, know their stuff, and they make the complex simple, and quite frankly, they are just fun to hang out with. Really good teachers.

Your report really got us excited again. We have been trying not to think about the boat that never came. We look forward to hearing more and seeing your photos. We will eagerly await your posts and imagine ourselves someday getting to know our boat. Our best guess now is a March arrival on the west coast. The ship that might bring Alba Bella home is crossing the Atlantic right now. In the meantime, we have booked a Cruise from Rome to Venice. We will be spending a few days in Alba, our boat’s namesake city in Piemonte and inviting our Italian friends to join us this summer.

Congratulations!

Great report from beginning to end. Now the fun stuff begins.

Your report really got us excited again. We have been trying not to think about the boat that never came. We look forward to hearing more and seeing your photos. We will eagerly await your posts and imagine ourselves someday getting to know our boat. Our best guess now is a March arrival on the west coast. The ship that might bring Alba Bella home is crossing the Atlantic right now. In the meantime, we have booked a Cruise from Rome to Venice. We will be spending a few days in Alba, our boat’s namesake city in Piemonte and inviting our Italian friends to join us this summer.

I love that area of Europe. There is so much to see and do. When your boat arrives, you will be so busy with it. I am glad you guys are getting the chance to travel while it makes its way home.

Helmsman, Congratulations!!! We're very happy for you. Thank you for sharing your excitement. It really comes through your writing and it sure helps the rest of us as we wait for our boats.

Jill

The electrical work is very well laid out, circuits, switches, ACR’s, batteries, are all clearly labeled, and easy to trace.

I'll second that, though our boat has only one ACR (on the generator start battery). I am thinking about augmenting the 1-2-Both switch with ACRs to manage charging of the main engine start battery and house bank.

Can you describe the ACR configuration on your new boat?

I was pretty sure I didn't need a stern tie line in our area, but then I watched that video. Pretty slick.

Last edited:
I'll second that, though our boat has only one ACR (on the generator start battery). I am thinking about augmenting the 1-2-Both switch with ACRs to manage charging of the main engine start battery and house bank.

Can you describe the ACR configuration on your new boat?

I'm a big fan of configuring the charging system (using ACRs or otherwise) so the battery switches can be used to select where power comes from, but everything gets charged as desired without needing to flip switches.

On my boat, for example, I have 2 start banks, a house bank, 2 engines, and a generator. So there are 4 battery switches. On/off for the house, 1/2/Both/Off for each engine and the generator. Ignition interlocked ACRs are used for charging the house from the engine alternators underway. There's a separate shore charger for the start batteries, and the solar only charges the house bank. The only time the switches get touched is for maintenance or if a start battery fails.

Back
Top Bottom