It's been an exciting (and trying!) month on the new boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
After being on the new trawler (well, new to us!) for a bit over a month and an half, we're almost "done" with the projects...done, of course, being a very relative term! We replaced some ancient electronics and entertainment gear, redid some other parts, and have truly made the boat our home.

I can say that crawling around a larger boat is decidedly more pleasant than doing so on a smaller vessel! Additionally, I learned that small design changes can lead to a MUCH MORE pleasant interaction with the boat. For example, the radar arch is pinned fore and aft, and able to tilt/flip down in either direction; so, when I was replacing the radar, it was a piece of cake to remove the array, then unpin the arch and have easy access to the cabling.

I'n glad we decided to dig right in and do the refit immediately, rather than wait- it feels good to have a list of projects checked off as completed.

I made a few decisions that will make life easier in the long run as a live aboard:

• The 2 TVs onboard are the same model (Vizio 32" HD, energy efficient), so there is a commonality of buttonology, manual, and remote. The standard DVD player was swapped for an in-dash style Blu-Ray.
The PO had a tube 27' TV that was simply on its last legs. It was replaced with a Vizio HD unit that draws less than a 1/10 of the power of the old one, and is all of 20 lbs. As we put the identical TV in the aft cabin, we can now lose a remote and not worry. For the Blu-Ray player, I went with an Audiovox single DIN in-dash unit that feeds the salon TV. It's true 1080p, a small footprint, and built into a cabinet so there's less gear adrift. The TV can also stream from our Apple TV.

• We wired a dedicated electrical outlet that feeds the TV and WII console from the inverter.
The goal is to minimize generator time while away from the dock, so every little bit helps.

• Replaced the Realistic cassette stereo.
Replaced with a Fusion iPod capable 3 zone stereo system with Sirius satellite feed. No more worrying about losing AM/FM reception in the boonies....

• Replaced the Princess electric range with a Princess LPG range.
Without a doubt, the biggest and best change to the boat. Never again will I have an electric stove onboard ANY boat I own. Last Sunday, I went to cook breakfast, and it took a good hour longer on the electric unit than it would have with gas. Sunday night, the old electric stove, was out and on the dock, and was replaced on Monday with a Princess LPG unit. Install was 100% bolt-in; the hardest part was routing the power and LPG lines.

• Replaced the washer dryer.
The next best change we made. The boat came with a ventless Splendide combo unit; I found a new in the box vented Splendide washer/dryer combo unit on Craigslist for less than 1/2 price. We now have to go to the laundromat only for large items (comforters, etc). It's quiet and efficient.

The last items (for now) are replacing the lights with LEDs and integrating the autopilot with the new Raymarine system- which are both non-critical projects. Now we can relax and enjoy.....till the tank monitoring system gets here......:facepalm:

Pictures please! Did you already have LPG tanks or did you have to add them?

Pictures please! Did you already have LPG tanks or did you have to add them?

I have them on the boat- will get them tonight. I had to add the entire system, as the boat was electric; I am using a standard LPG steel tank (20lb) in a locker with overboard drain located on the flybridge. The rest of the system:

A Trident tank mounted regulator with a high pressure solenoid between the tank outlet and regulator, then a 20' propane line to the stove. The solenoid switch is next to the stove.

Overall it was a VERY easy and simple installation.

Did the locker on the flybridge already have the drain or did you add it? I have an overseas PT 35 and there is a locker on the flybridge that seems a likely candidate to become a propane locker. We aren't thrilled with the electric range and are weighing our options...

thanks for the info!

On our flybridge, there is storage behind the steering area, as well as on both port and starboard sides- plenty of room for a propane tank. There are existing vents that discharge water overboard in all storage compartments up there. That's where the bottle is.The important thing is to ensure that any leaking propane will not accumulate and become an explosion hazard- you could store the gas on the flybridge in the open without problem.

As far as making the switch- DO IT! It'll make the boat so much more pleasant!

Up here, we have a consignment marine shop that has great deals; I got our stove there for $225 (complete, in condition 8.5 of 10), and the total cost for the refit was under $350. Also, check your local RV parts house- the RV parts will work, and will cost anywhere from 20% to 70% less than a marine store.

Hmm am I being paranoid to worry about putting it in the area behind the steering area? The area I am thinking of is what we call "the brow". My concern is that there are holes (wire chases) in the floor of that area that open into the saloon. Is there a chance of propane leaking into the saloon? Sorry if I am being ignorant. We have one locker in the flybridge that is completly sealed off but there is no drain. It seems about the right size for two propane bottles. Not sure if that was what it was meant for. But it seems a bit of a long run for a propane line to the galley so maybe it just "is what it is" no purpose intended for it.

When we bought the boat there was actually a full size propane bottle on the sundeck, rigged up to the BBQ, and the surveryor told us that we had to remove that, it had to be in a locker. Not sure if that is for ABYC standards or insurance or what?

I am VERY interested in switching to a propane stove as it is a royal pain to have to fire up the generator to cook when we are anchored out, so I really appreciate the dialog on this.

My boat is an overseas PT 35 ('84) so I'd expect some design similarities...

Greetings,
Ms. Jennifer. Nope, you're NOT being ignorant. Propane will seep down into the saloon through the wire chases. Hmmmm....cute AND smart! If you have a locker which may serve, put in a vent and use it keeping in mind the vent must allow drainage of any accumulated propane with NO chance what-so-ever of it entering the interior of the boat.
I'm not familiar with the regulations but I see no reason why a tank could not be mounted in the open on your flybridge. Any space to mount a purpose built propane locker?

Last edited:
Thanks RTF. I will have to look at the survey to see what the issue was with the propane bottles. I really don't have room to add anything but can probably follow Pau Hana's lead and repurpose some of the existing storage. thank you both for the encouragement to look into this solution further.

Greetings,
No hay problema Ms. J. but if ,as you say, there was already a bottle on the sundeck (sorry, I meant sundeck instead of flybridge in my last post), maybe a single bottle locker wouldn't take up much more footprint.

Hi Jennifer.
We have the same boat as you here in Aus. We have our bottles in the port locker on the fly bridge in a custom made holder for 2 bottles using the drain holes at the aft end of the FB. This system has been installed by a licenced gas fitter as required by our insurance company here in Australia so is compliant and safe. Gas is good!! Gas line runs to a cut off solenoid to the right of the stove in the galley with a further cut off in the locker under the stove. Hope that helps. John. Arcturus

Jennifer, you're not overthinking things- far from it. Our wire chases were sealed from the interior with aerosol insulation foam. If needed, the foam can be easily removed.

Pete

Please- drop the pissing contest about lockers and crap

With all due respect, if you've got nothing other that an argument to offer in this thread, please refrain from spouting off. I'm excited about sharing about my boat, and the last thing I want to read is a pissing contest about who's right and who's got more credentials behind their name. It adds nothing to the discussion except make the participants look like fools.

Appreciate y'all reading this and dropping the arguments...

some pics for your perusal....

Attachments

• Salon-TV, BR and radio.jpg
    Salon-TV, BR and radio.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Stereo and Blu-Ray.jpg
    Stereo and Blu-Ray.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Blu Ray player.jpg
    Blu Ray player.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 98
  • dash with electronics.jpg
    dash with electronics.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 110
  • gas stove in galley.jpg
    gas stove in galley.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 98
  • LED light stick in galley.jpg
    LED light stick in galley.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 104
  • Aft cabin- TV and washer.jpg
    Aft cabin- TV and washer.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 98
Wow it looks great!! Is that light in the second picture from the bottom on 12 volt or 110?

It's a 12v LED strip from Fisheries Supply- I installed 2 in the galley and its daylight bright in there now! AND, it draws a fraction of the amperage of the old fixture.

I'm not really sure where I'd put the propane, though I'd love to do it. I think I said I don't remember the reasoning the surveyor gave in why the propane bottles were not ok where they were on the sundeck!! Maybe an issue of them not being secured properly? they were definitely not protected from the weather. They were hooked into the barbecue NOT the galley and there'd really be no way to lead a line to the galley from where they were so I have no intention of putting them there again. There is that one locker that is a likely place but not sure how to manage the drain. So unfortunately realistically--probably around half past never. sigh. I will think on this drain issue some more though before I give up.

And thanks for the info on the 12 volt light!!

Have you fitted a gas monitor with at least 2 sensors (one under stove and one in lowest part of vessel) an alarm and an alarm activated shut off at the bottles.
Probably the most important part of the gas stove set up.
It is definately the only way to cook coupled with a gas BBQ on the back deck or flybridge.

Pau Hana, what is the wood on the lighter colored cabinetry? It appears to be Sen or more commonly known here as Japanese Ash. Looks great.

Pineapple girl,
Surveyors as a rule want to justify their existance and will find FAULT when none is there.
I carried 3, large not the "bar b q" style propane tanks on the back deck of my P/h, see the avatar pic, they were there from new in 1981 and when I pur the boat in 85 and still there when I sold 25 yrs later. NOT in a locker, and NEVER a word from a surveyor and it was surveyd MANY TIMES.
They were in the open and there were the regular scuppers overboard so if a leak the gas was gone.
I had a gas stove, refrigerator, freezer and bar b q grill all running off of those tanks.
My experience and YMMV

Hmm am I being paranoid to worry about putting it in the area behind the steering area? The area I am thinking of is what we call "the brow". My concern is that there are holes (wire chases) in the floor of that area that open into the saloon. Is there a chance of propane leaking into the saloon? Sorry if I am being ignorant. We have one locker in the flybridge that is completly sealed off but there is no drain. It seems about the right size for two propane bottles. Not sure if that was what it was meant for. But it seems a bit of a long run for a propane line to the galley so maybe it just "is what it is" no purpose intended for it.

you are very right to be concerned. C3H8 is heavier than air and will run downhill like water. Think of it as water and design your propane locker accordingly Make sure it has a drainage path overboard not into the bilge even if by a round about way and install combustionable gas dectectors just in case. Diesel is a very safe fuel but get it burning via a little propane and u have a real situation

Pau Hana, what is the wood on the lighter colored cabinetry? It appears to be Sen or more commonly known here as Japanese Ash. Looks great.

Thanks, Don! The previous owner told us it was white ash, and it looks to be original. They also did abreast job of keeping the boat in tip-top shape, so things are more maintenance than repair.

you are very right to be concerned. C3H8 is heavier than air and will run downhill like water. Think of it as water and design your propane locker accordingly Make sure it has a drainage path overboard not into the bilge even if by a round about way and install combustionable gas dectectors just in case. Diesel is a very safe fuel but get it burning via a little propane and u have a real situation

It is heavier than air but not as dense as water....outside it mixes quickly with air and is carried away.

That's why all the "old" installs have not resulted in explosions yet...it is a bazzilion in one chance that a propane bottle under the flybridge (with raceways sealed and a vent or two) would ever cause an explosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is heavier than air but not as dense as water....outside it mixes quickly with air and is carried away.

That's why all the "old" installs have not resulted in explosions yet...it is a bazzilion in one chance that a propane bottle under the flybridge (with raceways sealed and a vent or two) would ever cause an explosion.

You don't know that. There are boat explosions every year many of which the cause is not determined.

I would rather excercise caution than take on unneccessary risk wouldn't you?

I would rather excercise caution than take on unneccessary risk wouldn't you?
user_offline.gif

Sounds like the "build a bunker" show on TV has a new addict!

LIFE is about risk , just look at the stats on being in a car.

just to be clear...that isn't a quote from me...:D

Oh darn, I apologize for that - I snagged the text from the wrong post.

It was most certainly from Mr. 45.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom