Grand Banks forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that a lot of GB stuff is generic, generally, if better in some build ways than other makes.

If you GB guys have questions, many of us on here were there too, so to speak, much of the info resides in memory and can, with patience, be resurrected. Most of the information is not esoteric nor secret, most of the synergy on the GB site was because of the members which, when Bob began his rampage, destroyed that synergy; that was the real reason it failed. Many of the guys are probably still here, overtly like me or hiding like Giggitoni 8^).

I'm a relative newcomer to the scene but would agree. I found the same users on both. Of course, when you are new to an old GB as well as new to trawlers in general, the perusing of the old threads had much value towards general learning. I did find some stuff specific to mine. I would imagine that the same question could be asked or the topic brought up again in TF and I would get much the same info. Truth be told, it was just fun and interesting to read.

Loose Cleats

... If you GB guys have questions, many of us on here were there too, so to speak, much of the info resides in memory and can, with patience, be resurrected. ...

Okay, so here we go then:

On my 1976 36 classic, the aft cleats which are mounted on the bulwark have worked themselves loose. The screws just turn in their holes.
Someone posted to a thread on the "old site" of a very detailed running report with pictures as they undertook this same project.

I am looking for resurrected or new knowledge for reference to assist with the planning and execution of rebedding both SB and PS cleats.

In anticipation, Thank you

Okay, so here we go then:

On my 1976 36 classic, the aft cleats which are mounted on the bulwark have worked themselves loose. The screws just turn in their holes.
Someone posted to a thread on the "old site" of a very detailed running report with pictures as they undertook this same project.

I am looking for resurrected or new knowledge for reference to assist with the planning and execution of rebedding both SB and PS cleats.

In anticipation, Thank you
Started a new thread
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...worked-themselves-loose-55176.html#post959052

Thanks for the blog mention.

The forum was a great source of info, and it seems to be lost. But most relevant information can be found here. I don't use the Facebook GB Forum, seems people go there instead of thinking things through.

I am glad to answer any questions PM'd or on the forum.

We GB folks tend to naturally find and help each other

I have not posted on our blog in awhile, but will soon, lots to add.

I'm not yet a boat owner but my interest in attempting to join the GB forum was driven by a picture of a dog ramp from the swim platform. As a non member, I could not view the picture. Morgan is a 60 lb Border Collie/Newfoundland mix and getting her on/off a boat at anchor will be quite a challenge without some type of assistance, the ramp would have been an interesting option.

I can relate to the situation you GB owners are facing with losing a treasure trove of files and info. The reason is us Mainship (MS) owners faced with the sale of MS to Marlow and the Yahoo MS forum platform.
Marlow retained and made available a large number of legacy MS files online. The Yahoo forum was helpful as members pointed other members to the resources and some uploaded files to the Yahoo files section.
The problem was there was one owner, no admins or moderators hence no interest in organizing or improving the platform. The demise started when Marlow discontinued hosting the MS files and would not even respond to requests to take over the hosting/ posting and it all collapsed when Yahoo exited.

My $0.02 would be that a small group trying to organize and host a comprehensive site it probably the least likely to be one useful and survive in the future.
IMO and experience TF provides probably the safest and best alternative for several reasons...
It exists and is already set up andcwell established
Social Knowledge (SK - TF the site owner) runs it like a business not a side job or hobby. They have MANY other well used and popular sites and are interested in growing them not shrinking.
Operations include a number of (paid?) Admin and volunteer Moderators that keep things running.
The TF Library function is an excellent approach for filing, organizing and downloading files without having to scour through endless threads and posts. It is fairly new and unknown, unused, or under utilized by many TF members... but it can get better. With more files and higher usage the need for more organization will present itself but is relatively easy in that the platform and infrastructure already exists.
I would suggest that if there is sufficient interest in creating / recreating a GB file collection that TF could be the best solution. If there is sufficient concern that it might suddenly disappear maybe a few dedicated GB volunteers could back up those files to another storage platform in the cloud, Google Drive, Dropbox or other similar... but only as a back up.

I'm not yet a boat owner but my interest in attempting to join the GB forum was driven by a picture of a dog ramp from the swim platform. As a non member, I could not view the picture. Morgan is a 60 lb Border Collie/Newfoundland mix and getting her on/off a boat at anchor will be quite a challenge without some type of assistance, the ramp would have been an interesting option.

From the swim platform to the boat? Something like this?

Attachments

• GB50.jpg
    GB50.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Zini 1.jpg
    Zini 1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 18
  • GB42.jpg
    GB42.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 18
A very useful tool for the maintenance of GBs is a brace, the brace and bit type of brace. Watch yard sales and the like and get the screwdriver bit (bitt? I'll have to look that up) too. In fact, if you have a woody that is essential. It is the proper tool for tightening deck hardware on early models and hull fasteners if a woody. If you have a woody you need 2, one you use as-is, the other you cut and weld for r&r of planks. I have 2 but I never cut the second one.

OK, Amazon has them and its "bit."

Last edited:
A very useful tool for the maintenance of GBs is a brace, the brace and bit type of brace. Watch yard sales and the like and get the screwdriver bit (bitt? I'll have to look that up) too. In fact, if you have a woody that is essential. It is the proper tool for tightening deck hardware on early models and hull fasteners if a woody. If you have a woody you need 2, one you use as-is, the other you cut and weld for r&r of planks. I have 2 but I never cut the second one.

OK, Amazon has them and its "bit."

What he said. Back in the day, Stanley made a gazillion Brace/Bits for Bell System telephone workers. I believe the model is Stanley Yankee 2101. Sort of recognized as the one to get. I bought into the whole brace/bit deal and went to eBay and found one..1940's? maybe? After dealing with deck screws and some other hardware by using a drill or by hand, the brace is a wonderful thing. You can control torque much better, don't strip heads off screws, etc. I am able to really control it. Works wonders on teak deck screws. Good advice and a great buy. Not very expensive either. A lot less than a new one from Lee Valley, Garrett-Wade, etc.

A huge collection of over 60 copies of American Marine News and Spray was just contributed to us and has been archived in the "Publications" folder on Google Drive. Follow the Folder Link and take a look around. Email to the address below with questions, ideas, or contributions. Grand Banks are a 100 year plus boat; the next generation of owners will be grateful for our diligent efforts to collect and archive any and all information pertaining to these grand vessels.

Email Address: grandbankspreserve@gmail.com
Folder Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._9?usp=sharing

A huge collection of over 60 copies of American Marine News and Spray was just contributed to us and has been archived in the "Publications" folder on Google Drive. Follow the Folder Link and take a look around. Email to the address below with questions, ideas, or contributions. Grand Banks are a 100 year plus boat; the next generation of owners will be grateful for our diligent efforts to collect and archive any and all information pertaining to these grand vessels.

Email Address: grandbankspreserve@gmail.com
Folder Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._9?usp=sharing

Cant get the Folder Link to work, just comes up with a 404 error......:thumb:

Google Drive

Attachments

• D3759708-2214-4754-BEAC-5FBD20B07FF8.jpg
    D3759708-2214-4754-BEAC-5FBD20B07FF8.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 31
  • 7480439E-D1B1-4E9C-82C5-56C26309A882.jpg
    7480439E-D1B1-4E9C-82C5-56C26309A882.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 24
Hi everyone. Like many of you I miss the GB Forum having contributed a bit over many years, so thought it about time I joined up here. I do need some help on the rubbing strake but will put up a separate thread.

I did a thread on the old GB forum about fixing the upper streering gearbox where the wheel shaft slided in/out a couple inches. I have the words & pics so could re-construct the info if anyone has that issue & needs help.

Paul

Back maybe a decade ago when I was first interested in switching from a sailboat to a trawler, I considered Grandbanks my trawler of first choice. I really enjoyed the owners forum and all the information on it. When I finally did get a trawler I bought an Island Gypsy 32 and thought the lack of information and owners group a real bummer. The Grandbanks Owners group was a big draw to me to consider Grandbanks ownership. It is amazing how fragile these online resources are! Too bad the GB forum is lost. For me I am okay with The IG trawlers and now have a 36. The GB forum being lost is a shame. I miss it.

Paul,
I've spent many hours combing through the archives of both sites and found answers to issues that I was dealing with, without having to start another thread.
Post away!
Sooner or later someone will need the info that you've posted and will be thanking you for it.

Paul,
I've spent many hours combing through the archives of both sites and found answers to issues that I was dealing with, without having to start another thread.
Post away!
Sooner or later someone will need the info that you've posted and will be thanking you for it.
Hi Mike, thanks will do.
Do you have a GB32, i had one from 1980 - 86, i have very fond memories as that was my first boat.

Paul

I just took a look.
A double click got me to the next level.

I just took a look.
A double click got me to the next level.

Why cant I gain access to the drive items?

“Who has access

You do not have permission to view sharing information for this item”

Last edited:
Looking for water tank measurements for a 1979 36 classic. Port tank leaks and starboard is sure to follow. Anyone replace water tanks of this era?

Looking for water tank measurements for a 1979 36 classic. Port tank leaks and starboard is sure to follow. Anyone replace water tanks of this era?

I am following this conversation. I too would like to replace the water tanks in a GB36-502 Classic. No leaks yet, but I've replaced all the other tanks so why not the fresh water tanks also.

Got it, Thanks Cigatoo

Back
Top Bottom