second anchor deployment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thread immediately strayed to STORM while the original poster never mentioned the conditions. I have deployed two anchors off the bow in "normal conditions" in a tidal river with reversing currents. So there's a situation. Another is when I needed the boat kept clear of the narrow river channel because to swig was to get in the way of a towboat, and I used a stern anchor. Situation 2. I am not opposed to the use of two anchors, both of suitable size for whatever conditions because do you really want to put all your eggs into one shackle, I mean basket.:)

While generally opposed to generalizations, I firmly believe that most here could not successfully use the engine(s) to lessen the strain on the ground tackle in a REAL storm because the boats tend to wander all over meaning you will end up with zero viz trying to make sense of a spinning compass and the boat's centerline relationship with the anchor(s). You can do more harm with engine power pulling in the wrong direction and side load a working set of ground tackle and/or spin the tackle into the prop(s).

I for one do not ever intend to have my boat and me in such a situation. I hide whatever boat I own in hurricane holes with five or six anchors and me ELSEWHERE.

Last edited:
Growing up my dad always ran 2 anchors. One was called the "lunch hook" and the other the "overnighter". It was a beast and he also had a weight he could attach ( kellet ? ) Since we didn't have a windlass I was always glad when we depolyed the lunch hook because it was significantly lighter and easier to raise. I think it makes sense to have a lighter duty set of ground tackle when it's short term on a calm day, as long as you keep an eye to the weather.

Back
Top Bottom