View Single Post
Old 12-29-2022, 07:49 AM   #15
jleonard
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Here's what I don't get about two anchors.
- If you need a second anchor, it's because the weather has come up and your first anchor isn't holding. At that point you are in the midst of the storm and it seems that trying to maneuver the boat to position and set a second anchor if fraught with peril. I would run an engine to relieve load on the anchor, or haul and reset before trying to set a second anchor. In other words, trying to set a second anchor is the last thing I'd do, not the first, or even the second.
e.
Not true for the reasons I deploy a second anchor. I have most often set a second anchor in very shallow and crowded anchorages. For those who have anchored in the shallow areas of Block Island know that it is not uncommon for someone to clip your anchor line since the water is only 5 or 6 feet deep. I normally set a second there just in case someone comes too close and trips my main. I set the second anchor short, at a slightly different angle, then leave some slack in the rode so there will be no tension unless I get tripped. Then the second anchor will hold me.
If a TX storm brews, I am normally at 10:1 already and I fire up the engine and keep strain off the one anchor as best I can. I have always been successful doing this.

Color me old fashioned, but my Danforth never let me down.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote