Tollycraft Classic Boats!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Tollycraft Classic Boats!

With interior layout, overall boat design and quality control by Robert Merland Tollefson, as well as specific hull and superstructure designs by Ed Monk Sr., 34 and 40 Tollycraft tri cabin trawlers present exceptional quality in hull design, interior building and finish parameters.* They are roomy, well appointed and comfortable as all get out!* Tollys are one of the most rugged and durably well constructed craft Ive seen.* We own a 1977 34 Tolly tri cabin and simply love it!* She cruises very nicely and stably at hull speed or below (5 to 7 knots), even in relatively uneasy sea conditions.* For economy purposes (up to 2 + knm per gal) our craft is easily propelled by either of her two inboard engines, used singularly.* When cruising slowly I run engines at one hour intervals; keeping hour usage in parallel as well as equally exercising each motor and enabling BW velvet drive transmissions to stay lubed, regarding the reverse freewheeling that occurs to the silent engines trany.* One beauty of a twin screw Tolly is that if you need to move quickly for any reason (13-16 kn planning speed / 20-21 kn at WOT) by utilizing both engines you sure can... but... at added fuel cost!* I recommend for anyone looking to locate a great all around fun and comfortable trawler/cruiser... the 34 or 40 Tollycraft tri cabin boats just might satisfy your many cruising requirements.

Definition:

Trawler Noun

1.****** A person who trawls
2.****** Any of various types of vessels used in fishing with a trawl net
3.****** Any of various types of vessels used for enjoyment cruising that are often or always moving at hull speed or below circa mid 20<sup>th</sup> Century and beyond
Origin: 1590-1600; trawl + er

Art-- Tollys rule.

I have never heard anything bad about Tollycrafts. I understand they have great owner loyalty and almost cult status.

They do seem to have a greater presence on the West Coast.

I like the way you handle the twins for fuel conservation.*

Definately consider them a great choice in a*cruising boat.

The only twin screw gasser I would ever consider.

Nice boat.

JohnP*

I've already picked out our next boat ...a 48' Tolly.

Art-- Tollys rule.

I have never heard anything bad about Tollycrafts. I understand they have great owner loyalty and almost cult status.

They do seem to have a greater presence on the West Coast.

I like the way you handle the twins for fuel conservation.

Definately consider them a great choice in a cruising boat.

The only twin screw gasser I would ever consider.

Nice boat.

JohnP

Yup - Tolly's are super nice boats! And, yes... Tolly Club is sort of like a cult! Heck of a helpful forum too. I was brought up in New England and spent most of my time on the ocean and IWW from NY to Maine; during the late 50s, 60s and early 70s. Then spent decades away from water... decided to go back into boats and researched boats for a couple years, as it had been a long, long time since knowing what builders/makes/models to choose from. Heck, half of my days growing up on the water was basically pre fiberglass and the other half was early fiberglass. I'd spent years traveling on and working in boat yards on woodies! So... once my early 21st Century research was complete: I bought a 1977 34 tri cabin Tollycraft and a 1973 31 sedan sport fisher Uniflite, within months of each other. Used both for a while... sold the Uni kept the Tolly! Uniflite is a real good boat... Tollycraft is simply a superb craft! Most Tolly are on the Nor West Coast because they were built in Washington. I've been aboard a lot of boats and when young even worked in the 70s for a new builder of fiberglass cruisers and yachts... wish I could have spent some time working at Tollycraft, there's a lot of heart and expertise they put into each of their Tollys. Chat more soon! - Art

-- Edited by Art on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 07:13:25 PM

Boydster wrote:

I've already picked out our next boat ...a 48' Tolly.
If so, you should check out the 48' for sale next to my slip - $229,000, which seems like a very good price to me....

Boydster wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've already picked out our next boat ...a 48' Tolly

48' Tolly are great too. Before you purchase I suggest doing a search on Tollycraft Forum re 48' Tollycraft... lots of info on that site. When we decide to fully cruise the Pacific coast a 48' Tolly will surely be well researched as compared to other great boat builders. For cruising around SF Bay, in and out the Golden Gate Bridge, and deep into the Bay Delta's 1,100 miles of manmade retaining wall channels with thousands of small islands and many mini bays (with some of decent size) our Tolly 34' tri cabin fits just right! Art ;)

Art wrote:
For cruising around SF Bay, in and out the Golden Gate Bridge, and deep into the Bay Delta's 1,100 miles of manmade retaining wall channels with thousands of small islands and many mini bays (with some of decent size) our Tolly 34' tri cabin fits just right! Art ;)
Good to know a mid-thirty-foot boat will fit comfortably in the SF Bay/Delta area.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 11:52:58 PM

Thanks Fellas'
Can't say I'm anywhere near ready to purchase yet, still in a drooling stage.
We'll likely hang on to our GB for another year or two; with just finishing a financially brutal winter and one daughter about to enter university, the funds are a little tight right now.
I still have some projects to finish on the GB before I could consider selling but we will eventually be Tollycraft owners. - Boyd

-- Edited by Boydster on Thursday 10th of March 2011 10:28:32 AM

-- Edited by Boydster on Thursday 10th of March 2011 10:29:11 AM

markpierce wrote:

Good to know a mid-thirty-foot boat will fit comfortably in the SF Bay/Delta area.

Hey Mark - You coming into SF Delta?* It's a blast!* Talk about relaxing and fun!* Mid thirty foot boat is perf size for most delta locations.* Also, the depth in most chanels is*7 to 30+ feet... can get shallow out of chanel - must watch sounder around islands.**The main rivers are considerably deep - cargo ships cruise to Stockton, Sacramento and other ports*from SF Bay.***Swimming in warm fresh water is a blast!* Contact me via*private message if desired.* Ciao, Art

Boydster wrote:

Thanks Fellas'
Can't say I'm anywhere near ready to purchase yet, still in a drooling stage.
We'll likely hang on to our GB for another year or two; with just finishing a financially brutal winter and one daughter about to enter university, the funds are a little tight right now.
I still have some projects to finish on the GB before I could consider selling but we will eventually be Tollycraft owners. - Boyd

Hi Boydster - I know about this brutal financial winter and tight cash... been there, done that!* LOL* I recomend you visit http://www.tolly-classified.com/*for Tolly boat*sale listings as well as other Tolly items.* Gordon Graham who owns it was decades the main purchasing agent for Tollycraft Corporation... great guy to chat with... he knows Tolly boats real well.* Yachtworld also has lots of Tolly ads.* With the economy still decending*I believe boat prices will get even more affordable... affordable that is if the buyer isn't decending in cash quicker than the seller is reducing the price!* Ain't life GRAND!!! And I mean it! - Cheers, Art* *

tollycraft 34 tri cabin leaky aft star. window

i'm a new tolly owner and lov'in it , but the aft window along the star. side anybody ever pulled one out to repair it . thanks bill

Welcome. Tollies were made in Kelso WA for a long time. A friend of mine was the interior designer and ship/mill wright for Tolly.

The only thing I didn't like about them is they only put gassers, no diesels. If you fine one with diesels, it has been repowered....

It must be getting very cold in Alaska eh Seduction? Most Tolly 44s and virtually if not all 43s and 48s were diesel powered.

If so, you should check out the 48' for sale next to my slip - $229,000, which seems like a very good price to me....

We're looking hard at Tollys for our next boat, and in fact checked out Summer Wind beside you. A bit tired for us, but a great layout and the fundamentals were certainly there.
The highlight of our tour, I have to say, was checking out Delphin - a very fine vessel!

It must be getting very cold in Alaska eh Seduction? Most Tolly 44s and virtually if not all 43s and 48s were diesel powered.

Most Tolly 43s were diesel powered, but as we are in the market I've found a single diesel 43 which apparently is quite rare, and a twin gasoline powered 43. A good candidate for a diesel repower, I'd think, depending on one's cruising plans.

I'm a fan...

img_133565_0_2dadc4cde0546ec889e55a3cad0c563b.jpg

Most Tolly 43s were diesel powered, but as we are in the market I've found a single diesel 43 which apparently is quite rare, and a twin gasoline powered 43. A good candidate for a diesel repower, I'd think, depending on one's cruising plans.

Never heard of a single diesel tolly 43, that would be rare! Is she on the west coast?

Very rare, that's new to me too. I think after you see what a diesel repower costs all in and done right, you'll see you'd have to buy the hull very cheap for that to make sense, for a lot of people at least, vs buying a well maintained diesel boat.

Or first boat of any substance was a Tolly 1962 32 flybridge sedan we bought in the late 70's. What a fun boat for a couple of 20 somethings to goof around in with their friends on Lake Washington and environs. Helped my career a lot, every exec that came to Seattle got a boat ride. They even offered to move it for me to Chicago when I got promoted. Much disappointment when I decided not to, couldn't make sense out of owning a boat you couldn't use every day of the year.

Never heard of a single diesel tolly 43, that would be rare! Is she on the west coast?

Yes she is; Nanaimo. In excellent shape; exceptional in fact. We offered but couldn't agree on a price. Only concern is the Detroit has 8700 hours.

Only concern is the Detroit has 8700 hours.

I would not worry about that at all. Detroits of that vintage (assuming its a series 71) are easy and inexpensive to rebuild, and Cullen Diesel is right in Nanaimo.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Yes she is; Nanaimo. In excellent shape; exceptional in fact. We offered but couldn't agree on a price. Only concern is the Detroit has 8700 hours.

Do you recall which Detroit? A good shop can rebuild in place and give you virtually new engine for $3-4k per cylinder (as a rough guideline for a complete re-do) depending if turbo'd etc.

Do you recall which Detroit? A good shop can rebuild in place and give you virtually new engine for $3-4k per cylinder (as a rough guideline for a complete re-do) depending if turbo'd etc.

It was a 6-71. It had been impeccably serviced - as had the entire boat - and was in great shape. I did get some rough estimates for the rebuild, as well as repowering with John Deere, Cummins, etc.

The repower options were attractive due to improved efficiency, reduced noise level, and no leaking.

The Nanaimo Tolly has a lot of appeal, but from our perspective it didn't work as the cost of purchase was too high to accommodate the rebuild/repower without ultimately taking a huge loss against the market value of the boat.

It was a 6-71. It had been impeccably serviced - as had the entire boat - and was in great shape. I did get some rough estimates for the rebuild, as well as repowering with John Deere, Cummins, etc.

The repower options were attractive due to improved efficiency, reduced noise level, and no leaking.

You might want to reconsider the repower.

When I bought Island Eagle, she had a 40+ year old Detroit 6-110. I expected that I would have to repower. When I was doing my research, I talked to a guy at the company that makes parts for the 6-110. I told him that I was considering repowering, for basically the same reasons you are.

The dude listened intently, and then he said "Son, how old are you?". It was a bit unexpected but I answered "Forty". He then goes "Son, forty years from now you'll probably be dead, but that engine will still be running."

After ten years of ownership, I'd say that he's most probably right.

If I found a good deal on a boat with a 6-71 in it, I'd leave that engine right there. It'll run for another 20 or 30 years with no problem. The fuel savings will not pay for a new engine unless you circumnavigate. Parts are dirt-cheap. And best of all it's totally mechanical and you probably have at least one brother-in-law or cousin who's a Detroit mechanic.

Just my two cents,

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

You might want to reconsider the repower.

When I bought Island Eagle, she had a 40+ year old Detroit 6-110. I expected that I would have to repower. When I was doing my research, I talked to a guy at the company that makes parts for the 6-110. I told him that I was considering repowering, for basically the same reasons you are.

The dude listened intently, and then he said "Son, how old are you?". It was a bit unexpected but I answered "Forty". He then goes "Son, forty years from now you'll probably be dead, but that engine will still be running."

After ten years of ownership, I'd say that he's most probably right.

If I found a good deal on a boat with a 6-71 in it, I'd leave that engine right there. It'll run for another 20 or 30 years with no problem. The fuel savings will not pay for a new engine unless you circumnavigate. Parts are dirt-cheap. And best of all it's totally mechanical and you probably have at least one brother-in-law or cousin who's a Detroit mechanic.

Just my two cents,

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Good comments Scott.

Our fundamental issue wasn't rebuild vs repower, it was the high asking price, well above market value, that the owner wouldn't move on very much. Even if it was a low hour engine it would have been way too high for the market.

In our research we did find that the views of the Detroit are very much in line with your comments. The repower options I mentioned were just part of our due diligence.

After hearing so many comments about the noise level of the Detroit, I was pleasantly surprised at how moderate the sound actually was. In fact a mechanic told me that in unbiased tests, the Detroit is not really loud in comparison to other makes, but that there was a whine that seemed to enhance the sound. (I didn't notice it.)

But I will say that the sound of a Detroit is beautiful on the ears! Far more pleasing than anything else I've heard.

Anyway, we moved on from the Tolly, and purchased a Lugger equipped Nordic Tugs 42 instead. If someone does buy that Tolly, they will have a very, very nice vessel.

But I will say that the sound of a Detroit is beautiful on the ears! Far more pleasing than anything else I've heard. :iagree:

Anyway, we moved on from the Tolly, and purchased a Lugger equipped Nordic Tugs 42 instead.

A great boat for your part of the planet! The 42' is my favorite NT. (Big for 42') :thumb:

Eie mateies...

Dem dam roven pirites done hyjacked dis here Tolly tread! Battten dwn da hatchees, mizen da masts, and fly da flag o' retreat... errrr attack! Tiz Tolly luvers chanch ta regain cntrol o' dese sees. Alll Tollys ahed worp spd!
Eieeee! :pirate: :pirate::speed boat::speed boat:

Thanks Walt!

So sorry Art!!!! I think you're anti NT!

“TOLLY POEM" For: Robert Merland Tollefson

March 2009 I mailed two personalized bound copies of this poem to Gordon Graham... Tollycraft Corp's Lead Purchasing Agent for decades; during Tolly's hayday!

Gordon and wife Patsy hand delivered Mr. Tolly his copy.

Poem By, Art – Owner of 1977 Tollycraft, 34’ tri cabin with a very sunny deck, named, “The Office”

"TOLLY LIFE - AGELESS DESIGN"

Tolly grew rugged in Idaho snow; from very young age having mind on the go
Wisdom a factor runs strong in his genes; with good life to live, age builds means.
Respect and straight thought, passion for all; Tolly made living a time to stand tall.
Boats caught his attention, then attention caught fire; Tolly located his true heart’s desire.
Singing and acting he played for a while; but boats for dear Tolly stayed top of the pile.
Designing and building was study he chose; the more he thought boats, the higher thoughts rose.
No matter world times of depression so full; Tolly was always ready to pull.
A mag gave him plans for boat vessel to build; soon his life needs would start to be filled.
Wars come and go, as we all know; tis people as Tolly that finish the show.
Corvette boats, buoy tenders, tugs play a part; their captains, like Tolly, steer strong from their heart.
In war-times of duress, with hope at a low; sweet ice-cream for workers helps everything flow.
Lumber and millwork made Tolly do well; but boats were his passion, that he could tell.
Sudden wind blew cross his lumber shop tour; flames liked high toward ruin for sure.
He then caught insurance, dreaming sea-tales for comfort; twas his capability, to turn ruin triumphant.
Soon there were wisps of waves in his mind; he realized for certain twas time for sea-kind.
Up lifted he felt, knowing full well; as his own boat-filled ruler, success would foretell.
So, to boat designs Tolly entered his might; feeling quite rightly Tolly boats would take flight.
He grumbled, he garnered, Tolly worked his butt off; associates gathered to make his landing soft.
With effort and smarts he planned Tolly boat toys; each meant to be friendly for all women and big boys.
Outboard then inboard, in wood and then glass; 14 then 20 then 60 foot class.
Tolly and Monk, designers dejure; made big ones and small ones, grand selections for sure.
Months turned to years with decades to follow; Tolly’s great boats filled many a sea hollow.

Next thing Tolly knew a following grew tight; each asking him louder to continue his flight.
So keeping his premise of pay as you go; Tolly made commitment to let everyone know.
My Tollys are fashioned with pleasure in mind; fear not their built backbone, seaworthy you’ll find.
Humming along, his boat factory built; Tolly his mates with associates felt.
Offers came in from others that build; asking Tolly to join with their guild.
Carefully, methodically he searched with due diligence; through all of their figures and factory significance.
Each time does he find that when all the smoke clears; they are not as they premised, their books holding smears.
So back to his shop with sea waves in mind; each time to feel comfort as he worked with like kind.
One Tolly then another rolled through the front door, it felt like forever occurring for sure.
They patted each Tolly on the rump as it passed; giving boats ingenuity, via love that could last.
First they built wood, then built with glass; as all things traverse life forms, all eventually pass.
Decades ran by, many years of success; Tolly felt sure they could sell outright, creating no mess.
So sell it he did to a group with big funds; thinking they could play Tolly, with more decades of runs.

Too soon due to items that can hobble a giant; the cost of boat building became highly defiant.
Accountants played numbers, builders they built and salesmen they sold; no matter the efforts, Tollycraft’s end was foretold.
There were hiccups and belches, grand tries galore; all meant to save the once great Tolly store.
No matter how inventive, no matter how smart; no person got Tollycraft a financial restart.
Deep sadness was felt by all true believers; unfortunate conditions placed Tollycraft at hand of receivers.
Once a great effort comes to end of its line; tis best to take comfort from days of past time.
For years Robert Tollefson and friends broke new molds; of boats toward perfection as their designing unfolds.
Tolly boats changed yacht market’s complexion, with many fine seamen telling great recollection.
Tolly and Monk with all of their friends; never looked back as they prospered toward Tolly boat ends.
Now that it’s over, great memories galore; remember not Tolly nor Monk are who closed the door.
Six thousand five hundred Tollys or more; came to existence to travel the shore.
For keeping them going and in good repair, tis a fellow named Gordon whose always right there.

Great structure, design and rugged sea worthy; make all Tolly owners quite ready to survey.
Tolly’s true meaning at end of this show; a meaning deep seated, a reason to know.
On travel, the Tollys for all owners’ pleasure; a life of sea views toward great fun and leisure.
A century from now when we here are gone; there will be classic prized Tollys motoring on.
Great results from Tolly’s system is so simple to see; good endeavors are empowered by the operative word WE!

Successful regards, Mr. Tollefson. You are one great boat builder!

Art, a proud Tolly owner.

BOATS FOREVER!

Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.

Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.

Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.

Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!

By design, Tollycraft will always be a renowned name in boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom