Vinyl paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger L

Veteran Member
Has anyone had any luck with painting vinyl cushions? My helm chairs on my fly bridge are stained but the vinyl is still in good condition Pompanette replacements $300 per chair x 3

Never tried it but they make spray paint for doing that in cars. Maybe ask a body shop or detailer if it would work.

I spray painted a vinyl headliner in a previous boat. It worked fine, but we weren’t sitting on it so I have no idea how it would hold up in a seat application. I think I got the paint from Eastwood auto part supply, maybe.

DON'T do it... even professionally done, it will end up cracking and looking worse then what you have now. I would look for a pro cleaner and take the seats into them. You'd be amazed at what they can get out of the seats. If it's the "pink" stains, those can be taken out as well... "stains are caused by a strain of bacterium known as Streptoverticillium reticulum that infests boat upholstery between the top layer of foam and underside of the vinyl"

If it is pinking I don’t think it can be saved. We had all the seating in our boat recovered last winter with Sunbrella Horizon vinyl. It is the only vinyl that has a no pinking warranty. They refurbished the foam and did the new covers and they are outstanding. Find a good upholstery shop and they can probably recover the seats for less than buying new ones. If you have it done use Horizon vinyl and Tenara thread.

I used the SEM vinyl spray on my 2004-vintage cushions last winter. The vinyl did have some crackling in the finish and discoloration. The paint made the cushions look a whole lot newer but didn't change the crackling. I figure it added a few more years to the life of them before I would want to have them replaced.

If you want a cosmetic upgrade that doesn't cost too much, go for it.

I sprayed the bucket seats in my Austin Healy Sprite back in the 60s, worked great. Turned from stained red to black. Never had any cracking or flaking. I thought about that for my Captain seat but First Mate was able to clean it up so never pursued it.

I've had good luck with Rub'nRestore products on aged/faded/stained vinyl cushions on a previous boat. It's a dye, not a paint. Turned out good and held up well for a couple of seasons, till we sold the boat. https://rubnrestore.com

That is correct, I used a dye not a paint.

I have used the vinyl upholstery paint on the helm seats on my Californian. Didn't crack or flake worked very well. Left uncovered in the environment unprotected and lasted three years before I repainted. Much cheaper than redoing the seats. I recommend if using a Vinyl Upholstery paint.

Attachments

• 61sUSu6e5GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61sUSu6e5GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 23
The best product is “Run n Restore”. Works great on vinyl and leather. It’s a conditioning dye. I used it on cushions, as well as my salon ceiling vinyl. Apply with sponge or brush. Looks like new. Great product. Holds up year after year. Search them online.

How about Clorox?

I had scrubbed the dickens out of my chairs with negative results. They were accumulating a gray/black stain over the white. My daughter suggested Clorox. I purchased a bottle, reduced 1 part Clorox with 10 parts water and applied with a small spray bottle.

The results were fantastic... back to sparkling white cushions.

I used the SEM products on several car projects over the years with great success. The only times I had trouble was once when I used something other than Simple Green to do the final wash and on the welting on my current helm seat where I used a different brand. It’s just fine until sunblock gets on it. Whatever’s in the sunblock acts like a solvent.

Funnily enough the discolouring of white seat vinyl to a pink hue is Sunscreen and can be easily remedied by multiple light coats of Vinyl white spray, and works a treat :)

After trying a couple of “vinyl cleaning” products with no great results I resorted to an old favorite soft scrub with bleach. I know bleach is bad for stitching but if your cushions are one step before replacing ($300x3 helm chairs)it is worth a try. My cushions were badly mold stained and the vinyl itself is worn, it no longer has the sheen of new vinyl but no tears and is not brittle. Apply the soft scrub rub into vinyl with medium soft scrub brush let it sit a few minutes then scrub and rinse. My cushions came out amazing and hopefully I can get at least one more season out of them.

The mold stains on my headliner would not come out with soft scrub or other cleaners. I would also suggest an easy refinish with wood-n-stuff or rub-n-restore. I also have pics if anyone is interested.

I have used vinyl paints over the years . Works great. Only cracks if you use too much. Key is clean, wipe with acetone to make sticky. Paint light coats only. 3-5 for coverage. Too much or too heavy it will crack. Never flaked for me. 2-5 year and do again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom