Cruising - NJ to LI Sound & ? - flotilla?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshulan

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
We are in the beginning of the planning for a trip next season from Barnegat Bay, NJ up to Long Island Sound and possibly continuing up to Newport, RI. We are hoping to find another boat or ideally boats to accompany us to share in the adventure. We have a Mainship 390 Trawler and cruise between 8-11 knots. We plan on mostly staying at marinas but will anchor occasionally. Anyone interested?

Last edited:
We're actually planning on doing the triangle loop in 2023. We'll be leaving North Carolina the first part of May. It's possible we could do from New Jersey to New York with you , if the timing were to work out. We're traveling on a 41' single screw europa style trawler at
8 knots. IMG_2492.jpg

If we can work out timing, that would be good although I was actually hoping for another boat to do the inside of LI Sound and then up to ??? Maybe Newport. But if we don’t hook up with anyone else, will definitely be happy to do the north side of NJ up to part of NY

I have boated in Baragate bay for 30+ years. I am now up off the Raritan bay and make regular trips to the sound. .I'm At holiday Harbor marina weartown ,for the winter. Trust me, after boating in Baragate , the trip up and through the sound is a breeze. The worst part of the trip is the oyster creek channel in barnagate bay. Up there there is Water everywhere. Plenty of depth. Sure there are places you cannot go, but for the most part no worries of running aground , All the channels are super wide. All nicely marked . In the bay and sound you have 45'+ water.

Always nice to meet up with other TFs while cruising.

Will be coming in Barnegat, cruising the ICW to Brick, NJ, and then staying with some friends there for several days. From there it's up the ICW, out Manasquan inlet, up to the Hudson, and then North to the Great Lakes.

Wasn't sure what your time frame was, but I'll likely be coming through the end of April. Maybe we can get together for an evening.

If you want to take in the NYC skyline at night, anchoring behind the Statue of Liberty is a great spot on a relatively calm clear night.

Ted

Greg OS - We would be heading up thru Barnegat Bay to the PT Pleasant canal and then heading outside thru Manasquan Inlet. I wasn’t sure if going up thru Hells Gate was worthwhile as it seems like you must catch the tide just right or it becomes a nightmare. But also didn’t want to stay offshore all the way along the outside of LI south shore. I understand there may be an inlet that leads to a canal with a lock to get into the sound, have you any knowledge of that?

O C Diver - we brought our boat down from Ontario this year, basically reversing the route you are planning, it was a great trip and we learned a lot especially about locking. Let’s stay in touch, I’m right off the bay and my neighbors have empty docks so you could stop and we could meet. My email is LSHULAN@GMAIL.COM

i did the run several times from Manasquan to south shore Long Island and entered into Babylon sore thum inlet AKA Democrat point. Easy ride @ 9 knts it was about 6 hrs. From there its inside and calm all the way. From there you can stay inside all the way to shinecock locks or go outside moriches inlet weather & tide permitting.

O C Diver - we brought our boat down from Ontario this year, basically reversing the route you are planning, it was a great trip and we learned a lot especially about locking. Let’s stay in touch, I’m right off the bay and my neighbors have empty docks so you could stop and we could meet. My email is LSHULAN@GMAIL.COM

Sounds good!

Ted

SilentKnight - thanks for advice, that would seem to be the way we should go, what are depths along the way, we draw 4’. Also, are there any fixed bridges along the way, we are less than 20’ above water.

I wasn’t sure if going up thru Hells Gate was worthwhile as it seems like you must catch the tide just right or it becomes a nightmare. But also didn’t want to stay offshore all the way along the outside of LI south shore. I understand there may be an inlet that leads to a canal with a lock to get into the sound, have you any knowledge of that?

Don't sweat the current at Hell Gate or the East River. Your boat has enough power. Been thru many times over the years with current going both ways, even in my 6.5 knot Albin it was a non-issue.
The trip thru the city is worth doing.

Yes, you can go thru one of the inlets on the south shore of LI and go thru the Shinnecock canal from Shinnecock Bay to the Peconic bay.

Buy the 2023 edition of 'Eldrdge Tide & Current' book. It will be invaluable to you in assessing best times to travel to 'work' the currents from Sandy Hook all the way to Boston.
Hell Gate is not an issue, but Eldridge will tell you the best time to leave to gain the most favorable current.
The Cape Cod Canal is also a non-issue, but best tackled with a following current.

Micand - thanks, good advice. But for anyone else out there, was really hoping to get a buddy or two to accompany, seems like would be far more fun and safer with others along. Anyone?

Toodling up NY Harbor, anchoring behind the Lady and cruising up the East River past Manhattan are annual highlights for me on my way to NE. You will miss it all going on the outside. Cruising with others can be fun, but also not so much sometimes with different agendas etc.. As to safety, apart from situational awareness at all times, there's nothing inherently unsafe doing this trip. You will get 'waked' by the ferries - I minimize this by sticking close to the East side of NY Harbor from The Narrows, up through the ship anchorage and scooting across the channel to the Lady when I get up there. Leaving the Lady, it's an easy ride back across the channel and on up the East River. My first stop is normally Port Washington, where the big yellow mooring balls are free for the 1st night.

i did the run several times from Manasquan to south shore Long Island and entered into Babylon sore thum inlet AKA Democrat point. Easy ride @ 9 knts it was about 6 hrs. From there its inside and calm all the way. From there you can stay inside all the way to shinecock locks or go outside moriches inlet weather & tide permitting.

I've never been in there and am trying to find the entrance you are talking about. I see Rockaway Inlet and Jones Inlet, but not Babylon? The water looks mighty skinny, and I see there are a couple of fixed bridges at 22'.

I think unless I specifically want to see that stretch of LI, I would go up the east river and Hell Gate. The run through NYC is fantastic and never gets old, and the East River and Hell Gate just aren't a big deal if you do basic current timing.

Agree that Hell's gate is not an issue, just time it correctly and you won't even notice it. Besides, you should spend a night (and some $$$) at Liberty Landing and go into the city. And if you are not in a hurry, there are lots of great harbors and anchorages on both sides of Long Island Sound, not so much on the outside of Long Island.

We are in the beginning of the planning for a trip next season from Barnegat Bay, NJ up to Long Island Sound and possibly continuing up to Newport, RI. We are hoping to find another boat or ideally boats to accompany us to share in the adventure. We have a Mainship 390 Trawler and cruise between 8-11 knots. We plan on mostly staying at marinas but will anchor occasionally. Anyone interested?

Depending on your timing, it might work out for us to join you. I'm expecting delivery of our Helmsman 38 sometime (hopefully!!) in the late spring/early summer. One variable is I don't yet know when it will be delivered. Potentially as early as May, possibly later. The other variable is I don't yet know the port of entry. Baltimore is probably the most likely, possibly Newark.

Once we get the boat and have electronics installed, we will be heading north to our home port of Portsmouth RI, on Narragansett Bay just north of Newport RI. We are planning to take the route you're thinking of, through New York City and the East River (Hell Gate), then inside Long Island Sound to Rhode Island. We'll do it as a leisurely fun trip, stopping at multiple places along the way (lots of fun places to stop in LI Sound, we don't plan to rush it).

If the boat is delivered to Baltimore we'd most likely run outside NJ (unless the ICW has been dredged with few worries about being too shallow), and could connect at Manasquan.

If you might be interested, let me know your planned timing, and I can keep you posted when I know more about our delivery date and place.

Nick - sounds great and I looked up your new boat, she’s awesome. Are you purchasing new or used? What is the power?

I’d agree that you should run outside of NJ as the ICW south of Barnegat Bay is troublesome in spots and early next year, no way to know if any hazards. We don’t have definite dates in mind and are flexible in that regard. I’m having an autopilot installed when back in the water and depending on my techs timing, early summer is probably fine for this trip.

Larry Shulan
2002 Mainship 390
Voyager

QUESTION ABOUT THIS ROUTE: I'm dreamily planning the reverse trip as i wait for a 34 Mainship Trawler to be surveyed. In the fall of 2023, plan to travel from Mattituck to Virginia. When i was looking at dockage/marinas to stay at in the Waterways Guide, all of them were private. What transient dockage is available halfway from Mattituck to Mamaroneck and then after passing through the East River? Thanks for replies.

I'd be heading for Port Washington for the first night and take a big yellow mooring ball - they are free for the 1st night.
Then using Eldridge, I'd decide on the best time to leave to catch a following current all the way down the East River.
Great Kills YC on Staten Island will take transients - it's slightly out of the way but not much.
From there I'd head to Manasquan, and with a 34ft boat you could take the NJICW all the way to Cape May as long as you're mindful of the tides. -

QUESTION ABOUT THIS ROUTE: I'm dreamily planning the reverse trip as i wait for a 34 Mainship Trawler to be surveyed. In the fall of 2023, plan to travel from Mattituck to Virginia. When i was looking at dockage/marinas to stay at in the Waterways Guide, all of them were private. What transient dockage is available halfway from Mattituck to Mamaroneck and then after passing through the East River? Thanks for replies.

Mainship calls all their boats Trawlers, not that it matters much. I'm guessing you are talking about a 34' Pilot? That's really stretching the term Trawler, not that it's not a great boat. Similar to mine in many ways.

Yes most marinas and yacht clubs are private, but most also offer transient dockage by the day. There are also some good anchorages especially in the Sound. It sounds like maybe you haven't done much cruising? Or maybe just new to the area? Either way it's a pretty agressive trip especially if it's your first on this boat for a delivery.

Anyway, good luck, and if you can provide any more details I can give you some more specific info, especially to NYC. You could also PM me if you prefer.

Are you leaving from Mattituck on the LI sound side or the Peconic bay side?
How many miles are you targeting for a day and what are you looking for in your preferred stops?

Mainship calls all their boats Trawlers, not that it matters much. I'm guessing you are talking about a 34' Pilot? That's really stretching the term Trawler, not that it's not a great boat. Similar to mine in many ways.

Yes most marinas and yacht clubs are private, but most also offer transient dockage by the day. There are also some good anchorages especially in the Sound. It sounds like maybe you haven't done much cruising? Or maybe just new to the area? Either way it's a pretty agressive trip especially if it's your first on this boat for a delivery.

Anyway, good luck, and if you can provide any more details I can give you some more specific info, especially to NYC. You could also PM me if you prefer.

FWIW - we owned 2 Mainship 34 Trawler, one was a 1978 and the other was a 1979. Single engine, steady sail, large keel, etc.

FWIW - we owned 2 Mainship 34 Trawler, one was a 1978 and the other was a 1979. Single engine, steady sail, large keel, etc.

Thanks, I was not familiar with those older models. I do know that my boat was one of the last Mainships built and they were using the name "Mainship Trawlers" on thier literature, etc, but I wouldn't call my boat a Trawler. Anyway, good questions to the OP. Too broad a question with few details.

Last edited:
I'd be heading for Port Washington for the first night and take a big yellow mooring ball - they are free for the 1st night.
Then using Eldridge, I'd decide on the best time to leave to catch a following current all the way down the East River.
Great Kills YC on Staten Island will take transients - it's slightly out of the way but not much.
From there I'd head to Manasquan, and with a 34ft boat you could take the NJICW all the way to Cape May as long as you're mindful of the tides. -

I agree with Port Washington/Manhassett Bay and a freebie mooring ball.
After that it depends. I never worried or cared about the current, I went thru NY early morning.

Generally use no marinas in LIS. Stay at anchor in Atlantic highlands leaving or entering NYC.

Occasionally will stop in sag harbor for my $25+ hamburger:)

Last edited:
The real Hell Gate is the Schinnecock Canal. We went through there two summers ago. From Cap May to Jones inlet up all the way on the inside of South Shore L.I.
It’s like barnegat bay, shallow with mostly narrow channels. You have to run slow and pay attention to your markers / buoys. You also have lots of Bridges to deal with. Not all open on demand. Also most of the South Shore inlets are not the best and require calm seas and / or local knowledge .

Anyway Schinnecock Canal has been my most personal hair raising experience thus far boating and I’ve been at it for 50 years. The current is extremely swift with all kinds of boils and eddys . The Canal operators were worthless and un responsive and offered no help. First time going through we went into the current , unknowingly how bad it gets once in the narrow part of the canal, you are now at the point of no return . To dangerous to turn you vessel around and abort the 5 plus knot current.
I have twin 300 hp diesels DD 71s . Felt like I was starting to go backwards at 1200 RPM had to bump up to 1600 to make slow headway while the water raced by along with the boils and eddies wanting to push the boat around.
Our return trip through with the almost slack tide , current with us, was not much better. Still hair raising.
I would not go the south shore route. Take the NYH - East river route with deep water and unique scenery .

Last edited:
We are also planning the Triangle Loop this summer and we will be passing through LI Sound the first part of June. We will be heading for the Hudson so we will wave as we go by.

Back
Top Bottom