Originally Posted by rslifkin
If you've melted several and it's not down to a bad connector that hasn't been replaced, I'd be taking a serious look at the overcurrent protection in your setup to make sure you're not overloading the connectors.
The breakers were tripping properly. I only found the problem when I unplugged to go cruising. I have zero issues now after switching to the smartplug. My breakers tripped several times last night trying to keep the boat warm and have all the christmas lights on. I checked the smartplug and it was barely warm-no signs of overheating. Huge difference.