Dreams and dreamers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
Every one of us starts out with a dream of cruising somewhere. I did. You did. We all did.

Where we take that dream depends on a whole lot of variables. Time, spouse acceptance, money, a bit of luck, and a willingness to sacrifice for the dream. It all has to come together at the same time to make cruising dreams a reality.

The harbors up north are filled with boats, and every boat in the marina is owned by somebody with a dream.

Here I look around, and I think.... My story is not special. I am not special. Everybody in this harbor, everybody in the anchorage, Every boat, every person, We all made it happen. Everybody here is an accomplished cruiser, and I am extremely humbled to part of this. Humbled to be here. Humbled to have made it.

Welcome to La Paz Baja California Sur Mexico.

Attachments

• AA1B5FD1-4F7B-4690-B400-F4786D2D1BA1.jpg
    AA1B5FD1-4F7B-4690-B400-F4786D2D1BA1.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2E403D0F-463A-4AD0-B431-382D0F6DF625.jpg
    2E403D0F-463A-4AD0-B431-382D0F6DF625.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 3ABEB992-BC0D-46EB-9CC2-BA6E8AA8E6D4.jpg
    3ABEB992-BC0D-46EB-9CC2-BA6E8AA8E6D4.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 64
  • C256DF22-38EA-4299-A07B-C1B851347B04.jpg
    C256DF22-38EA-4299-A07B-C1B851347B04.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Congrats my friend. Enjoy retirement. You worked hard to get there.

Kevin,
It's why I named my boat "Imagine."
Years ago, I'd wander the warfs, boat shows, etc.
Especially at lunch hour, I could get down to the river in Portland. I'd see these boats sitting there, not going anywhere for months. I imagined what I would do with a boat like that, how I could acquire one, and where I'd go

Typed from harbor in Bahia Tortuga!

(Full disclosure: this trip its on her boat, but I got her hooked on my boat!)

Presently we are hosting 2 Germans who navigated the NW passage, we met them in Desolation Sound.

Saludos Al

Last edited:
Still one of my favorite past times is to wander marinas and look at boats at rest and wonder what their story is. Even more fantasy consuming is to peruse the neglected boats in the back row and wonder what happened to the owner or dreamer in each case.

Some have been there for years, the owner paying storage every year, perhaps thinking "someday". Some have fallen behind in rent and the canvas is failing to the winter and weather, where are the owners of these neglected craft? Not so much now a days but a few years ago it seemed that every boatyard had a long neglected boat that somebody came across and figured "I can make her whole again".

Dreams and dreamers, all..

pete

As a side note: Don't underestimate the enjoyment of living on a boat at the dock. Just sayin.

Totally enjoyed travelling to Mexico vicariously with Kevin, it allowed me to realize that I did not and do not want to do it myself.
I enjoy boating, traveling from A to B and watching the scenery go by. But unless I have a deadline to be somewhere, I also like to kick back at anchor or dock overnight. even multiple days in one place.
Have been offshore well beyond sight of land and found it a challenge and also boring. That was only a two week excursion, cannot imagine months.
As I leave the boat I start dreaming of the next outing.

There are lots of boats docked at my marina that haven't been down the river in a long time (years it would appear) I imagine lots wouldn't even start.

The boat next to mine is covered in cobwebs, dust and bird feces.

Sad.

Kevin,
It's why I named my boat "Imagine."
Years ago, I'd wander the warfs, boat shows, etc.
Especially at lunch hour, I could get down to the river in Portland. I'd see these boats sitting there, not going anywhere for months. I imagined what I would do with a boat like that, how I could acquire one, and where I'd go

Typed from harbor in Bahia Tortuga!

(Full disclosure: this trip its on her boat, but I got her hooked on my boat!)

Presently we are hosting 2 Germans who navigated the NW passage, we met them in Desolation Sound.

Saludos Al

Fantastic!!!

If memory serves you have made this trip before????

But... If you have not taken the time to go into Magdalena bay, we really liked the little town at man o war cove!

Still one of my favorite past times is to wander marinas and look at boats at rest and wonder what their story is. Even more fantasy consuming is to peruse the neglected boats in the back row and wonder what happened to the owner or dreamer in each case.

Some have been there for years, the owner paying storage every year, perhaps thinking "someday". Some have fallen behind in rent and the canvas is failing to the winter and weather, where are the owners of these neglected craft? Not so much now a days but a few years ago it seemed that every boatyard had a long neglected boat that somebody came across and figured "I can make her whole again".

Dreams and dreamers, all..

pete

There are lots of boats docked at my marina that haven't been down the river in a long time (years it would appear) I imagine lots wouldn't even start.

The boat next to mine is covered in cobwebs, dust and bird feces.

Sad.

Every boat in the harbor that does not go anywhere is a broken dream.

I don't doubt that people watched the deterioration of my boat last summer. I had health issues and didn't get to the boat for two months. It really looked neglected when i got down there. Mostly dirt, water scum, spiders and seagulls.

I made no secret of the fact that I had suffered a heart attack but I didn't broadcast the information. Word got around the marina though. When I re appeared lots of people asked how I was doing.

I had the boat pulled and wrapped early. Hopefully next year...

pete

I don't doubt that people watched the deterioration of my boat last summer. I had health issues and didn't get to the boat for two months. It really looked neglected when i got down there. Mostly dirt, water scum, spiders and seagulls.

I made no secret of the fact that I had suffered a heart attack but I didn't broadcast the information. Word got around the marina though. When I re appeared lots of people asked how I was doing.

I had the boat pulled and wrapped early. Hopefully next year...

pete

I think the typical reaction to a situation like yours is a bit different. When someone who regularly uses their boat stops showing up or is only there occasionally for a while without taking the boat out, the usual reaction is "what's wrong?" or "what happened?"

Very different from the boats that just sit and sit and are in and out of the water every year, but nobody knows who owns it because they might show up once a year at best.

When I was a liveaboard you got to know the routine of boat owners. New to marina boats would arrive with happy boat owners, get secured to the dock and then months go by before you see them again. Lack of use, lack of routine visits became more apparent.

Of course they could have come to the boat and left unnoticed, but the boat did not leave the dock. Long weekends in the heat of summer, the boats were at the dock when I went out and returned. I will never understand this type of boat ownership.

Maybe they were dreamers too.

Not everyone’s dream is to sit at a marina or use their boat every weekend. The boat fits into a broader pattern of the overall dream they want to have (or they have legitimate reasons or changes in priority to alter that).
My dream is to use it for a month or two to visit remote locations, certainly where there are no hotels etc. The rest of the year I like doing other things and going to other places around the world. So don’t see my unused boat and think it’s not a dream that’s not being realized. (I type this from Vail Colorado, about to head out to the slopes. )

Kevin:

"Every one of us starts out with a dream of cruising somewhere. I did. You did. We all did.

Where we take that dream depends on a whole lot of variables. Time, spouse acceptance, money, a bit of luck, and a willingness to sacrifice for the dream. It all has to come together at the same time to make cruising dreams a reality."

There is lots to admire about your extended and ongoing story. But it began when you took action to fulfill the dream. Few do.

Congratulations.

Kevin:

"Every one of us starts out with a dream of cruising somewhere. I did. You did. We all did.

Where we take that dream depends on a whole lot of variables. Time, spouse acceptance, money, a bit of luck, and a willingness to sacrifice for the dream. It all has to come together at the same time to make cruising dreams a reality."

There is lots to admire about your extended and ongoing story. But it began when you took action to fulfill the dream. Few do.

Congratulations.

Thanks!!!

It's amazing as I sit here in the marina in La Paz. My slip is at the very end of the dock, and I am looking out at the anchorage.

I see boats in the marina that honestly cost more than I made in my entire working career. I also see boats that cost less than my bicycle.

Yet everyone here has something in common. We all made a conscious decision to go for it.

I have met people here that have literally circled the planet on their boats. For these people the dream of adventure was stronger than probably anything in their lives.

It's funny because I also see abandoned boats here. People that made it this far, lived the dream, and for whatever reason quit cruising.

Fantastic!!!

If memory serves you have made this trip before????

But... If you have not taken the time to go into Magdalena bay, we really liked the little town at man o war cove!

I've been coming to baja by land since mid 70s. Bought in at Mulege '06, been wintering here ever since. Mucho miles down here on motos to the most remote places and ranchos possible.

We did trailer boating in Bahia de Conception for a few seasons. Now en route on gal's nice 40 foot Gozzard.

For sure we will spend time in Magdelena Bay, no hurries.

We have moorage reserved in Santa Rosalia for January/February, not far from my Mulege Casita, which we set up a couple weeks ago.

Will eventually cross paths with you somewhere down here!

I've been coming to baja by land since mid 70s. Bought in at Mulege '06, been wintering here ever since. Mucho miles down here on motos to the most remote places and ranchos possible.

We did trailer boating in Bahia de Conception for a few seasons. Now en route on gal's nice 40 foot Gozzard.

For sure we will spend time in Magdelena Bay, no hurries.

We have moorage reserved in Santa Rosalia for January/February, not far from my Mulege Casita, which we set up a couple weeks ago.

Will eventually cross paths with you somewhere down here!

If you come into La Paz on your way back north you cannot miss my boat. I am at the end of the dock right as you enter the harbor.

I have always wished that vehicles of a fun nature could tell their story, imagine the stories they could tell.

Remember, just because they aren’t going anywhere doesn’t mean they haven’t been anywhere. Dreams may have been fulfilled long before you got there.

Knot,
You would've liked this, called the Alley Sweeper. We ride a bunch of alleys in town, wave and smiles at everyone.
The guy in the pic had no clue how to jump a bike, let alone this giant minibike. Only one broken arm, two cracked ribs.

Knot,
You would've liked this, called the Alley Sweeper. We ride a bunch of alleys in town, wave and smiles at everyone.
The guy in the pic had no clue how to jump a bike, let alone this giant minibike. Only one broken arm, two cracked ribs.
You really owe us the 'after' photos/vid!

Great subject. Really happy for the OP.

My wife and I started small and kept pushing our cruising envelope with a trailer-kept 25' cuddy cabin. Once we got our current boat, marina life became a given and we were somewhat concerned that we'd become people that just stay at the marina all the time. I am so happy to say that after 4 years we have actually inspired 3 other couples (that were previously "stuck" in the marina) to start cruising with us. We have all become great friends and all agree that we are having the best Summers of our lives.

I’m dreaming to leave next year on my Willard,headed southbound

Perfect

I love this thread post. I sit here dreaming of my someday ride. :dance:

There was a very nice but unused boat at my marina. For about five years the only time it left the dock was when the owner asked the marina owner to take him out for a ride. the last couple years even that rare use did not happen.

The boat was a wide Bayliner, about 38 feet, twin gassers which apparently ran out well.

It was sold last year. The new owner put it in a better dock location and learned how to drive and dock it. He took a couple short trips the first year. The second year it never left the dock.

Dreams and dreamers all...

pete

Back
Top Bottom