Old 12-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #20
catalinajack
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbler View Post
With all due respect I think you’re glossing over the facts here. Six years ago was yesterday in USN time and firing the commander of the SEVENTH FlEET is a 12.0 on the Richter Scale. Our navy has problems and pretty much the same problems it always has when there are no wars or justification for building or rebuilding the fleet. We have a history of abandoning our ship between wars and then scrambling to rebuild our navy when the shit hits the fan. Case in point, Reagan’s 600 ship navy which was the concept of Sec. of Navy John Lehman built from 1989-2008 more or less but anyway average thirty years old and they are already being scrapped or given to our allies. Right now enlistments are down and experience lower. Those that are hanging in there to get twenty years are paying the price. Twenty years ago a guy got deployed but got home in four to six months. No longer, these guys are deployed for years and are running schedules that find them sleeping on the job. They are often asked to do jobs they were never trained for and morale is suffering. Morale BTW is just as important as horsepower or radar. The USN and the CNO knows there is a problem so let’s hope it gets resolved. Right now the answer seems to be new classes of ‘ unmanned autonomous ‘ ships that require little or no man power or human errors. Semi-manned drones

Rick
Rick, deployed for years? My son is a senior chief (CTT), eighteen years in. He just deployed on Saturday aboard the Nimitz. This will be his fourth deployment in those 18 years. This one is scheduled to last seven months. His last deployment was 11 months and that was the longest ship deployment since Viet Nam. By the way, my son does not plan on leaving the Navy at 20 years. In fact he plans on striking for a warrant and staying for 30.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote