Ads overpowering the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Njlarry

Is it only me?
I find the flashing movement of the ads so distracting I have difficulty reading the forum and have to log off.
There seems tobe no way to skip the ads or stop the videos. It also turns me off the the sponcers, if I was interested in their pitch I would click on it without the annoyiny graphics.
Anyone else spending less time here due to the constant ad motion?

I don't see pop-up adds, on either my PC or IPad. Don't think it's a Trawler Forum issue.

Regards,

Pete

On occasion I've had issues with ads blocking right margin on PC. A PITA since that's where the recent posts are listed. I recall it happening a week or so ago.

No issues on my android phone. I don't use a tablet much so no comment there.

Peter

I think it is you, I have never seen what you describe

pete

I have never seen ads on TF.

Is it only me?
I find the flashing movement of the ads so distracting I have difficulty reading the forum and have to log off.
There seems tobe no way to skip the ads or stop the videos. It also turns me off the the sponcers, if I was interested in their pitch I would click on it without the annoyiny graphics.

What browser are you using?

You might want to try downloading a web browser like Opera. It has a built in ad blocker that works reasonably well. No issues for me.

See screenshot below - the circled ad block has gotten out of bounds for me on occasion - walks over the post-list beneath it. Has not happened often (more on CruisersForum).

TT - I use Chrome or Duck-Duck-Go.

Peter
TF Ads.jpg

TT - I use Chrome or Duck-Duck-Go.

Sorry, I meant to ask the OP since it sounds like he is seeing more ads than others. I'm wondering if his browser might be doing it, or if he might have picked up a virus that is doing it.

I use AdBlocker and see zero ads on TF. Some sites now check for ad blockers and require that you disable it to view the site (an Ad Wall, similar to a Pay Wall). I no longer visit those sites. It's just not worth it. I don't watch broadcast TV either for the same reason. The torture vs value ratio is upside down.

I used to see those ads and they jumped all over the screen untill I was ready to quit T.F. for fear of clicking something I wanted no part of.

I then found AdBlocker and went for the free test version. It worked so I have maintained it although now it costs me some money.

THere are other add blockers so try a couple.

I am not a computer guru so if this had not worked I would have quit T.F. several years ago as it was "almost" the only site that showed this.

But no you are not the only one and I now know this is not the only site to be affected so my add blocker worked for me.

Now any site that requires me to turn off my add blocker I quickly back out of. And yes I know how to do it, I just refuse.
Even some of them that I recognize as legit as I don't want the after effects.

Last edited:
TF is a business, free to us but not the owner. Ads are a part of the deal, hits count. Internet ads are everywhere. UTube drives me crazy with ads. TF seems the least troublesome to me. MSN is another bad day for ads, but Microsoft stock has done well. It is tough to have it both ways.

I do get that relatively small ad box in the upper right corner, but I don't find that distracting or annoying really. Much smaller and less intrusive than a lot of other websites. If that's the only ad I see and it helps pay for TF, I can live with it. I get much more annoyed with charities hounding me forever. I give one random charity $2 and I end up on a mailing and a call list for the rest of my life. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to give to even very worthwhile charities because I'll be hounded forever thereafter.

Don't tell the advertisers whose money sustains the TF site, but I barely notice the ads and pay zero attention to them.

Is it only me?

We have ads but they should not be blocking content. Folks who surf but are not logged in see more ads so make sure you are logged in. :flowers:

If you are logged in and seeing ads blocking content somethings amiss. You might try using a different browser (chrome or Firefox work well) and allow cookie exchange with the forum. We use cookies to keep you logged in at page changes. (this is the reason that duck duck go sometimes causes issues).

uBlock is the best ad blocker, especially on Youtube. Youtube is unwatchable without an ad blocker. uBlock gets thru on most sites that block ad blockers.

Njlarry,
I hate to say it, but it's you!
I'm using Firefox, and never see ads on Trawler Forum as long as I'm signed in.

I dont see adds but have blockers and script blockers so my screen stays clean. For an idea what the op is asking about try opening the forum on your phone. I do once in a while and there are more adds then content.I get the need for revenue but things are getting out of hand . Cant even watch a youtube video without an add every couple minutes.

I recommend Adblock. It works.Even not logged in you don`t see adverts.

Beware also you can build up a troop of trackers from TF, and from clicking links in posts. A good antivirus, and a clean up tool,helps.

I only see ads when I google for them. Until this thread I had forgotten web pages can have unsolicited ads.

Is it only me?

You, more than likely, have an 'adware' app infecting your PC. 'adware' is similar to 'malware' however there is no 'malice' intended, such as a virus. It is designed to pump advertising at you.

First, get a decent anti-virus. Get your virus definitions up to date. Then do a thorough scan.

Sounds like a possible malware issue. Some anti virus products also scan for malware so run a deep scan with your anti virus just to be safe.

It may be machine dependent that is spam you might have picked up. Edge and Toshiba laptop no ads.

I always get an ad above and below the Trawler discussion bar on the right side of the page on my iPhone and iPad. Don’t find it distracting enough to log off so I tolerate them. Static ads would be better than dynamic ones. jmo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom