MS 34 Trawler - was there a factory "Stairwell Cover"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boiler81

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenity Beach
Vessel Make
2009 34 Mainship FB Trawler
I am new 2009 MS 34 Trawler owner and during my search I've probably looked at close to a hundred current and past MS 34 Trawler listings and have never seen a few of the factory options which were supposedly available for that model.
Has anyone got or seen the options in bold?
I'm especially interested in the "Flybridge Stairway Cover", which seems to be a unicorn :confused:

Optional Equipment (source: Boat.com)
Bow Thruster - Twin Engine Models
Canvas Mesh Screen for Flybridge Aft Rail
Central Vacuum System
Colored Hull
Convertible Sofa
Diesel Warm Air Heating - Webasto®
Electronics Packages - Garmin®
Everwear Teak and Holly
EZ2CY Enclosure Upgrade
Flybridge Stairwell Cover
Flybridge Stereo
Full Factory Commissioning
Icemaker - Salon
Inverter - 3000W
Laminate Flooring - Salon
Lounge Chairs (2) - Salon
Lower Helm Station Seat
Rudder Angle Indicator
Spotlight
Stern Thruster - Single Engine Only
Stove - Three Burner Propane w/Oven
TV - 15" Flat Panel w/DVD/CD/Stereo - Master Stateroom
Washdown - Fresh Water - Aft
Washdown - Raw Water - Forward
Windlass
X-Change-R®Oil Change System​

I don't have any type of vacuum on my trawler, of course I have only limited carpet on board. Just a couple throw rugs which can be taken outside and shaken.

Personally, I can't think of a more worthless accessory for a boat, particularly a smaller one, than a central vac system. You get robbed of precious space three ways. Somewhere you have a master power unit, probably about the size of a standard vacuum cleaner. Then you have at least two routes of vacuum hose, maybe three taking precious space below decks. And finally you need the power head or hardwood wand and about 15 or 20 feet of hose to lug around and store someplace. No thanks.

pete

Yeah, before I got educated on trawlers I was looking at Meridian yachts which seemed to have central vac systems in about half of them. Most didn't work or weren't used any longer.

There is a central vacuum cleaner in our Formula. I took the hoses and accessories off the boat and put them in our storage shed since we will never use it. We keep a small commercial Hoover that is great on the boat. It has a 33’ power cord so I can plug it in and vacuum the whole boat without moving the plug.

Welcome aboard TF especially as a MS owner.
Our MS 34HT has no bridge so have never looked at / for the FB stair cover.
I'm assuming this is a Sunbrella piece to minimize rain down to the lower aft deck... if so any local canvas shop should be able to fix you up.
Same for the rail panel... those could be solid or mesh depending on personal preference.
I remade a set of those for a marina neighbor that had them on his Bayliner.
My rudder indicator is part of the autopilot.

Welcome aboard TF especially as a MS owner.
Our MS 34HT has no bridge so have never looked at / for the FB stair cover.
I'm assuming this is a Sunbrella piece to minimize rain down to the lower aft deck... if so any local canvas shop should be able to fix you up.
Same for the rail panel... those could be solid or mesh depending on personal preference.
I remade a set of those for a marina neighbor that had them on his Bayliner.
My rudder indicator is part of the autopilot.

I was thinking it might be a canvas cover, but hadn't seen one or snaps to mount same. I would actually like a hard fiberglass FB door like I saw on most of the Meridian yachts. It adds a degree of safety for passenger and pets on the FB and on the Meridian yachts, noticably reduces the sound level underway.
Looks like a custom solution would be needed, but my boat bucks needed to first go towards an Autopilot, Inverter, and dinghy/davit.
P.S. I would also like to install the stateroom shelves similar to your nice custom install.

I was thinking it might be a canvas cover, but hadn't seen one or snaps to mount same. I would actually like a hard fiberglass FB door like I saw on most of the Meridian yachts. It adds a degree of safety for passenger and pets on the FB and on the Meridian yachts, noticably reduces the sound level underway.

Looks like a custom solution would be needed, but my boat bucks needed to first go towards an Autopilot, Inverter, and dinghy/davit.

P.S. I would also like to install the stateroom shelves similar to your nice custom install.
I'm sure snaps (if a soft cover) would be installed with the cover.
I dont know what that area looks like, not having a FB, but I would think either a safety door or openning cover could be made DIY or custom. I'm guessing there are railings at top of stairs that you could add hinges and a hard (Starboard, PVC or plywood fiberglassed. If a hard openning cover you might be able to fab something out of wood/plywood and fiberglass over it. My HT has that sort of closure and happy to provide some pics in the spring.

I have a 07 34T and have a rudder angle indicator on the bridge. I also saw this posted on a FB forum, it was a custom design that looks good and I may investigate having one made.

Attachments

• 1FE5828A-3314-4F20-9BBB-82F1A1B21C2E.jpg
    1FE5828A-3314-4F20-9BBB-82F1A1B21C2E.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 0502D97B-DD2B-4E91-96B7-41DEED0FFAC3.jpg
    0502D97B-DD2B-4E91-96B7-41DEED0FFAC3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 6ECE2CF8-0C45-4A5A-AA89-D531D313595A.jpg
    6ECE2CF8-0C45-4A5A-AA89-D531D313595A.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 36CA5A3C-23F8-42C8-A381-FE143CAF6D66.jpg
    36CA5A3C-23F8-42C8-A381-FE143CAF6D66.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 7
I would have it made out of white Stamoid. It will let some light through down into the cockpit. And in white, Stamoid is much easier to keep clean than the woven Sunbrella. Plust it is actually waterproof.

I would think the flat top of that canvas cover would be a real rain water collection point eventually dumping it down the stairs.
An easy & quick improvement would be to add 1-3 bows to provide support. These can be attached to the rail and the bow removed or attached to the bow and the combo removed when cover is removed.
s-l300.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom