Anchor chain marking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
We will start the Loop in a couple of weeks. My anchor rode isn’t marked, and I’m looking for recommendations on how to do it?

Best method I found was to buy colored polypropylene 1/4" rope and weave it through the links. I found a supplier who had six different colors and would sell it my the foot. I used 20' lengths, but 5' to 10' would be more realistic. Don't tie the ends to the chain as only the first link or 2 will come out. It goes right through the windlass without issue. Probably have 300 plus deployments with no significant wear.

Ted

^^^^^This
We have spent six years full time using this method
Rope lasts about 18mths
We buy 20m rolls at the $2 shop or big hardware store
Weave a few feet through chain at first mark - for us 40m
And every 20m after.

Also have a bit about 1m before the anchor to lets us know when it's about to come over the roller.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-4mm-x-20m-polypropylene-rope_p4313938

^^^^^This
We have spent six years full time using this method
Rope lasts about 18mths
We buy 20m rolls at the $2 shop or big hardware store
Weave a few feet through chain at first mark - for us 40m
And every 20m after.

Also have a bit about 1m before the anchor to lets us know when it's about to come over the roller.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-4mm-x-20m-polypropylene-rope_p4313938

This is a new one to me, and very interesting. Is there any particular way you weave it through to minimize damage from the windless? For example, is it weaved to keep the line from sandwiching between links and the gypsy?

I decided I only needed 2 marks. One at 50 feet, and one at 100 feet.
I spray painted a section of the chain at each of those and it has worked for me for many years. Every 3 or 4 years I would re paint.

Zip ties

We have bought colored zip ties and put 5 at each desired mark. Cut off the excess and use a different color for each desired length of chain (eg yellowmat 25’, red at 50’ etc). No problem going through windlass and will not fade over time.

I paint my chain (re-paint periodically when the marks are getting too worn). For a mixed rode, I use spray on fabric paint/dye for the rope section and that holds up well enough that it'll likely out-last the rope in most cases.

We have bought colored zip ties and put 5 at each desired mark. Cut off the excess and use a different color for each desired length of chain (eg yellowmat 25’, red at 50’ etc). No problem going through windlass and will not fade over time.

I do the same with the exception I don't cut off the excess, never had any issue arise from the tails
Hollywood

This is a new one to me, and very interesting. Is there any particular way you weave it through to minimize damage from the windless? For example, is it weaved to keep the line from sandwiching between links and the gypsy?

The line I use is very similar to double braid nylon. It's soft enough that it doesn't seem to be affected by the windlass. I guess it could be described as going through the center of the links and avoiding the outer part of the link to keep it off the windless gypsy.

Ted

Don't tie the ends to the chain as only the first link or 2 will come out.

What kind of weave keeps 5 or 10 foot lengths of ¼" rope in place on chain? We are still using the commercial markers the PO had added and are looking for a more visible solution.

The line I use is very similar to double braid nylon. It's soft enough that it doesn't seem to be affected by the windlass. I guess it could be described as going through the center of the links and avoiding the outer part of the link to keep it off the windless gypsy.

Ted

Any chance of a picture or two?

Best method I found was to buy colored polypropylene 1/4" rope and weave it through the links. I found a supplier who had six different colors and would sell it my the foot. I used 20' lengths, but 5' to 10' would be more realistic. Don't tie the ends to the chain as only the first link or 2 will come out. It goes right through the windlass without issue. Probably have 300 plus deployments with no significant wear.

Ted

Thought I was the only oddball. NOT.

I got fed up with paint and zipties.
I used yellow polypro 1/4" line and wove about two feet into the chain at each 25 ft mark. No special weave or preparation was needed as I found.
THis was an experiment for me as I had no idea if it would work.
That was about 6 yrs ago. None have come out yet nor are they showing any sign of doing so.

Just before the anchor came up I wove a 10' piece or RED dyneema in so I have a warning the anchor is close.

What kind of weave keeps 5 or 10 foot lengths of ¼" rope in place on chain? We are still using the commercial markers the PO had added and are looking for a more visible solution.

Friction passing through the links holds it in place.

Ted

So it is simply a short 2ish foot long piece of ¼" rope that is strung through the chain lengths? I can appreciate that friction may be all it takes as there should be no tension on the marker rope, but if you pulled on one end it would probably come out, right? Very interesting.

I found a supplier who had six different colors and would sell it my the foot.

Remember who that supplier was? Thanks Ted.

I had a Harbour Freight pack of zip ties, a hundred or so of 6 or so colours. Tied one on every 10 ft, changed colours every 50'. I left all the tails on with no issues. An extra couple when the anchor has risen to the surface, so I don't get a surprise when it reaches the roller. Also an extra mark when the end of the chain is a few feet from arriving at the gypsey, again to avoid a surprise when I have to deal with the chain to rope connections. This way for several years and continues to last well.

FWT,

We tried these and they did not stay in the chain well.

I agree. It took me an afternoon to install them and only a couple of uses for them to all fall out

As the chain sits under tension horizontally on deck
I take about 4 ft of rope
Feed it through a vertical link until halfway
Have an end in each hand and feed that through the next vertical link aft
Left hand feeding through to right, right hand feeding through to left
Rinse and repeat until several links are done and leave some tail hanging

Tie a knot to secure rope if so inclined , or not
I don't anymore and haven't had it come out yet

I too used the weave method. Nothing fancy about the weave 10 or more links worked for me.

At first I used caution tape, like police line stuff, but was too fragile and went to soft colored line that lasted several years (or more).

Agree with Jay that 25 or 50 foot marks were good for me too.

Last edited:
We painted ours for several reason’s. Bright white first and last 25 feet of our chain. Main anchor was all chain. Then we painted orange every 25 feet for a few feet and at each 100 ft mark added white on both ends.

1) We wanted to be able to see clearly from the pilot house in order to set or retrieve the anchor. I was able to drive up on the chain when retrieving and backing down when setting. We preferred not over working the windless anymore than required during retrieval. The zip ties were hard to see unless we were up on the bow during the process.

2) Painting the chain was required every couple of years and forced us to inspect the entire chain as well as connecting points During this process.

3) Was easier to wash down the chain when required.

Hope that explained our process.

I still find it amazing, after all these years, that when this subject comes up, how few have actually bothered to install an actual chain-counter. There are a number of quite inexpensive ones out there easily installed by ones-self. There are expensive fancy ones too - ones that actually park themselves and are virtually hands-free, but the simple ones are still amazing.

Having done so - and also been through the painting, zip ties, coloured whatever, I would never go back to that after having a chain-counter. Just sayin'...

y'all will still go on doing all that, I know, but the OP might not have thought of it - and just might do himself a favour and do it..? Even if not right now, but later on..? This is what I used - a lot of fun getting it done too. CruzPro CH55 Chain Counter

I seem to be afflicted with CRS so needed a simple method to remember which color was what length. Since I just use cheap Krylon spray paint, Settled on Red for 25’, White for 50’ & Blue for 75’. 100’ gets yellow. 125’=1 yellow/red 150’= 1 yellow/white… 200’ has 2 yellow stripes, 225’ 2 yellow,1 red. Since I typically anchor in <20’, simple to remember, works in all weathers, night & day. Touch up as needed.

I seem to be afflicted with CRS so needed a simple method to remember which color was what length. Since I just use cheap Krylon spray paint, Settled on Red for 25’, White for 50’ & Blue for 75’. 100’ gets yellow. 125’=1 yellow/red 150’= 1 yellow/white… 200’ has 2 yellow stripes, 225’ 2 yellow,1 red. Since I typically anchor in <20’, simple to remember, works in all weathers, night & day. Touch up as needed.

I use red line at around 15' to indicate the anchor is coming up or nearing the bitter end. Yellow is my 50' mark, green for 100', blue at 150', and white is the middle of the rode. Then it reverses, so I can end for end the chain without redoing the marks.

Ted

I still find it amazing, after all these years, that when this subject comes up, how few have actually bothered to install an actual chain-counter. There are a number of quite inexpensive ones out there easily installed by ones-self. There are expensive fancy ones too - ones that actually park themselves and are virtually hands-free, but the simple ones are still amazing.

Having done so - and also been through the painting, zip ties, coloured whatever, I would never go back to that after having a chain-counter. Just sayin'...

y'all will still go on doing all that, I know, but the OP might not have thought of it - and just might do himself a favour and do it..? Even if not right now, but later on..? This is what I used - a lot of fun getting it done too. CruzPro CH55 Chain Counter

While I can appreciate the technology of a chain counter, the simplicity of rope in the chain without any electronics is a clear winner. Sooner or later all electronics will fail in one way or another. This is like having an electronic compass, why add failure points when you need to know what direction the boat is heading when everything else has failed.

Ted

While I can appreciate the technology of a chain counter, the simplicity of rope in the chain without any electronics is a clear winner. Sooner or later all electronics will fail in one way or another.
Ted

Mine never failed in the 12 years after I installed it, and how 'simple' is it when you need to up-anchor and move in a hurry say, at night, p*ssing down with rain and wind, and the bottom muck is making the thingies on your rode hard to see, even with a light shone on them. I suspect you'd have to go out in person to deal with it. I could do that all from the comfort and protection of the inside helm, without added light, or having to step out at all. Even with my old tub, I still think it was one of the best things I ever did to her.

Is there anyone out there who used to say all those things OC Diver and others have said on this that has actually finally installed one..? And your experience has been..? Would you ever go back to counting thingies..? :D

Now Peter, some of us ( maybe most of us) are just old and stubborn. But if we had a chain counter that worked in the first place, I doubt we would have done the Paint/Rope/Zip tie thing….just saying.

Counting to 3 or 5 has never been a real challlenge for me.

Sure conters are nice, but just never saw the need.

I differ than a majority here, but then probably maybe I should.

Do things enough and you see the world through different eyes.

Counters good? You bet. Did I ever consider mounting one? Never..... as anchoring is so much simpler than TF makes it.

Back
Top Bottom