I painted my headliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Just because Southerly is on the market, doesn’t mean I stop working on her.

This was actually a fun project. I did the forward berth and it came out great!

Attachments

• BC786A29-F177-459E-B5B7-DB30F37EA74B.jpg
    BC786A29-F177-459E-B5B7-DB30F37EA74B.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 91
  • AB48FE13-3F47-4036-B884-834C73381030.jpg
    AB48FE13-3F47-4036-B884-834C73381030.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 78
Looks very nice. I did that on a previous boat.

Donna, please if you will....

What material was the headliner and what paint did you chose?

May do mine soon.

Thank you....

Wait, what?

Was the headliner some kind of cloth?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

This was one of my easier projects.

The headliner is perforated vinyl. The kind with the tiny holes.

I did much research on this subject. I used sherwin Williams acrylic semi gloss paint. Use 2 parts paint to 1 part water. I used a very fine brush. Forget the roller, it makes a mess. Be patient. A little at a time so not to cover all the holes.

Acrylic paint has very little smell to it if at all.

This was one of my easier projects.

The headliner is perforated vinyl. The kind with the tiny holes.

I did much research on this subject. I used sherwin Williams acrylic semi gloss paint. Use 2 parts paint to 1 part water. I used a very fine brush. Forget the roller, it makes a mess. Be patient. A little at a time so not to cover all the holes.

Acrylic paint has very little smell to it if at all.

Thank you.... :thumb:

To anyone who is contemplating following Donna’s advise. I can vouch that it works very well and is really simple.
Wipe down the headliner first with a light tsp and water solution.
I used Ben Moore acrylic latex semi gloss. Thinned with water by about 1/3. Came out great!

Thanks for posting Donna!

Our headliner is a mess - a PO varnished the teak grab rails and battens without taping off the headliner! We've been debating what to do for a few years, and this seems by far the easiest solution.

I painted one in a previous boat. I used a spray can paint that was made for headliners. I think I got it from Eastwood auto parts.

Donna, please if you will....

What material was the headliner and what paint did you chose?

May do mine soon.

Thank you....

To what vessel, psn..? According to your avatar, you ain't gotta boat right now..? :)

Rather than paint, try this product. It's made for leather, but worked great on my smooth vinyl headliner that was terribly stained with mold that I couldn't get out. Pics available if interested. Came out looking like new. Easy to apply with a foam brush or sponge. Wide range of colors available, "cream" matched mine perfectly.

https://www.wood-n-stuff.com/

Rather than paint, try this product. It's made for leather, but worked great on my smooth vinyl headliner that was terribly stained with mold that I couldn't get out. Pics available if interested. Came out looking like new. Easy to apply with a foam brush or sponge. Wide range of colors available, "cream" matched mine perfectly.

https://www.wood-n-stuff.com/

Looks like a nice, easy solution.

Rob

I replaced the headliner in v berth with reflectix,worked out awsome

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom