New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmagill6

Hi,

My wife and I are new to trawlers and hope to own one soon. We are interested in doing the loop and a lot of other traveling now that we are retired. Over the past couple of years we have researched numerous brands. If things work out well for us we will actually buy something in the spring or summer of 2023. My latest infatuation is the Helmsman 38E, the earlier Helmsman 38, and the even earlier Mariner Seville Pilot House 37. I am hoping to run across a few posts that will talk more about these models, and maybe even get some leads on something that is available. Another reason for joining is to hear other people talk about doing the loop, going to the Bahamas, traveling in the various great lakes etc.

Bill

Hi,

My wife and I are new to trawlers and hope to own one soon. We are interested in doing the loop and a lot of other traveling now that we are retired. Over the past couple of years we have researched numerous brands. If things work out well for us we will actually buy something in the spring or summer of 2023. My latest infatuation is the Helmsman 38E, the earlier Helmsman 38, and the even earlier Mariner Seville Pilot House 37. I am hoping to run across a few posts that will talk more about these models, and maybe even get some leads on something that is available. Another reason for joining is to hear other people talk about doing the loop, going to the Bahamas, traveling in the various great lakes etc.

Bill

Welcome, Bill. You have good taste in yachts!

Yes. Welcome to the forum, and I totally understand your feelings towards pilothouse style boats. That would have been my choice if I had ever upgraded. Pilothouse, and preferably no flybridge, leaving plenty of space up top for solar panels and dink, yet still great views, (weather-protected), from the helm, and no need to duplicate all those instruments, which remain well protected from the weather as well. :thumb:

Welcome Aboard! We have differing opinions regarding flybridges and pilot houses but that is one thing that makes this forum great. One thing that does not make it great is when someone speaks in favor of or against certain anchors, single or dual engines, gas or diesel, etc. Its all in good fun though.

Tell us more about yourself and family and plans.

pete

Did someone mention anchors and rodes??? Oh oh....

Welcome. Remember we on TF like pictures of your boat when you decide.

Hello! I am new here as well and my current infatuation is a 1999 Mainship 390 Trawler. My family and I are also looking at doing the loop possibly summer/fall of 2023. See you out there and fair seas to you!

Welcome aboard! And you, too, Kapodisn.

Welcome aboard. Hope you will find the boat of your liking and be on your merry way.

Welcome aboard. Hope you find the boat you want.

A pilot house is really nice in cold or bad weather. For me 72 and less is cold....

For the loop a good seat is as good as a pilot house.

If you spend time on the gulf coast, a flying bridge is great. Cool breeze, quiet, you see all the fish and wildlife.

We ran with a same size Helmsman for awhile a couple months ago. Nice boat, roomy inside, same size as our Europa but much more interior space.

I am old school though and had a hard time with the look. But I bet after a couple months you could get used to it.

Good luck in your search, and go ask an owner for a tour and boat ride. I try to schedule visitor rides when I need to pump out. That way they get an idea for how the boat docks, noise, etc. Then start firing questions.

Love pilothouse trawlers and having done 60% 0f the Great Loop on a GB 42 Classic, I concur with Pete and others, a Flybridge is a big bonus for Outer Banks and South, all the way up through the TennTom and Cumberland rivers systems. You will not have to sacrifice FB for the room for solar and dinghy storage. I have both a great pilothouse with a watch berth, flying bridge, huge boat deck, and solar panels all on a 34 footer now. Enjoy and welcome aboard.

Hi, welcome to join.

The trawler trip is nice if you have plenty of time. Go slowly and enjoy the sea, sheltered coves and small towns with services. My wife and I travel half the year and enjoy life without a schedule.

Our boat is the Nordic Tug 37, which is a great coastal cruiser in every way.

NBs

Hello and welcome. If looping is your main goal, go to looper events (AGLCA) and talk to loopers about boats. If the people have been on the loop very long they will have opinions, not only about their boat but also knowledge of boats traveling with them.

Lisa and I spent 2 years chasing a classic trawler, because we loved the lines and we liked the family room style salon. If it was a pilothouse style so much the better for us. We paid for surveys on two classic trawlers that didn't pass inspection and finally chose a SeaRay trawler :ermm:.

Unbeknown to us, the ability to go faster than 8-12 knots is a fantastic benefit, both when finding yourself in boisterous conditions and when rushing to a dock before dark after a long day.

Gather a bunch of information and you will have a great time looping. We're on mile 4,000ish mile and believe we will continue around again. We've had a blast. I've got to tell you, boats are fun when use them.

Mike

Welcome, Bill. We are also on the hunt for a boat. We have been using YouTube and have watched hours of Loop content. Take a look and let us know what you think.

Good luck, Mike.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom