exciting !!!! (intro, boat shopping)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Albins

I'm drawn to the Albins BUT I like to drag a line through the water and I'm a little concerned how convenient that would be with the aft cabin ... anyone fished from one of these great little boats ??????

Murray,
Not even that. I'd sell my Willard for 40K and it's twice the boat the AllWeather is.

Conrad,
Not even 1% disrespect but I had an early Albin 25 and I'd call it a semi-disp boat. I had a 34hp Yanmar in it and cruised it at 8.5 knots at 2750rpm. Six knots is hull speed for them and at WOT it could do 10.5 knots. A full disp boat couldn't do that. The bow ran a bit high but I had good visibility fwd at 8.5 knots but not faster than that. I just re-read your post and it's not much different than I would say. The later hull was less efficient and tended to plow along level but I think they overdid it on the design modification. If they only did 50% of the modification it probably would have been perfect. In any event they are one of the best boats ever built. I preferred the older hull but the newer is considerably more stable as the stern is wider and flatter.

Do you ever go to the Albineer events? We've been away but we're still members and plan to go to the AGM dinner/meeting. Any chance we'll see you ther'e Conrad?

You're absolutely right Eric; I should have said something like it was not as refined a semi displacement as the later models, although maybe it was, from your experience.

Our 1972 model with a 27 HP Yanmar would do 6.5 knots @ 2800 RPM and 7.0 knots at 3400 RPM. Our 1976 with a 36 HP Volvo would do 8 -9 knots flat out ( I forget the RPM) with the bow well up.

I recall chatting with someone a while back who put a 40 - 44 HP diesel in their Albin, don't know which hull, and as I recall they still were only getting about 7.5 knots or so.

I completely agree though, that they were an incredibly well designed and built little pocket cruiser.

Unfortunately I won't be attending the AGM meeting Eric - it would be nice to meet in person.

Still experiencing sticker shock ???????? Albins are in the low 20's which makes them very appealing...................................

Lucky,
Being inexpensive is the least of your reasons to purchase an Albin 25.

true, true

You are absolutely correct Eric ----------- "tis a factor BUT not as important as the quality of the craft ---- it being absolutely a perfect trailerable boat which suits my needs AND I am drawn to the social factor of being involved with a small but active group of Albin owners ........ there are two other Penderites who own Albins and I'm looking forward to cruising the Golf Islands(and perhaps beyond) with like minded captains ,,,,, on another site there is a discussion re. following a dream and making it happen ,,, I'm excited about the possibilities of enjoying a great boat with others ,,,, at a $$$$$$ I can afford ......... I'm heading cross the border next Wednesday for a "sea trial" and a close look at the Albin ......... I'll report back re. my findings ......... stand by..... john:thumb::thumb:

Good.
Try to find an Albin that has been repowered. Don't want one of those old sea water cooled Volvo's.
Good hunting
Eric

An Update .........

Went down to Le Conner(or is it La) yesterday and looked at John's Albin 25........... I was a little disappointed with the cosmetics(which can be easily improved upon) but was/am excited about the "Basic Boat"..... It has been completely refitted with a Volvo-Penta MD40 with 210 hours -- new guages/new drive train/new bottom paint/ new canvas/recently re-set windows/new cushions/a "coleman stove" ........ electronics need an upgrade-------- 2 new 1000 amp. batteries --- shorelander trailer with surge brakes(never been in the water-- he's had the boat lifted in).......... O.K. how much do you think an Albin as described would sell for ...... I know regional differences etc. But I'd like your opinions ........... given the factors I've already mentioned(Social/trailerability/cost/reliability/spaciousness(for a 25footer)........................ I'm "on the cusp"----- my wife even seems interested!!!!!! standing by john :dance:

I sold mine for $18K w recent Yanmar 34hp, C+ to B- cosmetics, no trailer but lots of new gearhead stuff. A new dinghy w home made davits. Took her to Alaska in 03. A wonderful trip.

They may be worth more now rather than less. I'll be in LaConner tomorrow or Sat. You could tell me what float it's on and I could go have a peek at it. Is a MD40 a new engine?

thnx. Eric

I don't know what dock it's on BUT -------- The trailer is in the adjoining parking lot...the boat is not under cover near the end of the walkway which is on the Starboard side of the gangway...... yes the Volvo-Penta is New(to me anyway!!).....stay dry....john

John,
There is a lady that has an Albin 25 far out on the right end of the right float going down the ramp on the east side of the north harbor. There's an old green tug under the covered part of that float (don't remember the letter #). Do you remember this Tug? ... The Maggie B ?

Attachments

• DSCF0650 copy.jpg
    DSCF0650 copy.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 115
Hi Eric -- Haven't quite figured out the Private Message reply procedure ... check out Kijiji-British Columbia for manual Toyota Camry ... there are several listed ...... how do I reply privately?????? jp

Albin

Yes that is the correct road --I remember the green tug------- the Albin I was looking at is just beyond the covered slips on the right--- probably the same boat ------ John Norberg is the fellow who has it for sale.....it has a partially deflated dingy on the cabin...........:dance: ..... also if you are coming over to Pender check out corbetthousecountryinn.com ..........that's us !!

Lucy,
Look in the upper right hand corner of this page your look'in at. See ( Quick Links ) .. right above that see ( Private Messages ).
Or click on someone's username like ( manyboats ) (me) and on the left side of the page see ( see Send Message ) or if you click on a large username click on ( see profile ) or ( send (so and so) a msg ).

I figured most of that out in 2007 when I started this forum stuff.

May be another Albin as the one I was talking about was owned by a woman.

There is an active Albin group on yahoo with searchable archives. I'm still a member as I was looking for an Albin 27 for a while.

I'm a little sad!!!!!

Checked out the La Conner Albin the other day and although it seemed mechanically great -cosmetically it was lacking ------ they had modified the aft cabin and eliminated the "tunnel" in which ones legs would be when sleeping.......I think this was done to provide a standing area for fishing.....It did take away from the "authenticity" of the boat..........and after figuring the added cost of duties.re-registering..etc. etc....... $$ ....... Any Canadian registered Albins out there that have been re-powered -- on trailers -- and have been looked after for 20k or less let me know............thanks for all of your input ....... I do think that the Albin 25 is the boat for me .... to find the right one is the challenge............there is one in Sidney BUT it has a full "roof" which won't work for us...........picky!!!!!! but why not-----it is only a toy!!!! john

If looking for an Allweather boat, mine is going up for sale... hull #8 1988 29hp 3 cylender perkins REASONABLY PRICED West Coast aluminum trailer goes with it....

If looking for an Allweather boat, mine is going up for sale... hull #8 1988 29hp 3 cylender perkins REASONABLY PRICED West Coast aluminum trailer goes with it....

Sigh...

We can only afford one boat, but if we could afford two an Allweather would be at the top of the list!

ahhhh haaaa !!!

The search light has just spotted a vessel in the water ....... all I've heard and seen re. the Allweather has been positive ... so what is it that makes the Allweather soooooo desirable?????? If one buys a boat from afar how does one transport said boat across several States without driving the price up to $80,000 .................. I've figured out how to make a "private contact" Now how the heck do you include a "quote" and or partial quote :banghead: stay dry and warm john

This may be your lucky day...

Homer Hughes, owner of Allweather Boats, is not in good health and is getting out of the game. His boat is for sale, as is his company;

Allweather Boats

This was my absolute, number one, so far above the rest trailerable boat for BC waters it was ridiculous. I kept a constant vigil for years trying to find one for sale.

Turns out we went for a bigger, beamier boat in the end, but there was a time I would have dropped everything for an Allweather!

More pictures; Allweather Boats

Murray

Murray – Not to mention the exceptionally seaworthy hull (her bow height and prow flare are simply beautiful) and sleek superstructure design and sheer utilitarian layout of Allweather Boats... the following quote is priceless; imagine the range at slow cruise if needed! Thanks for providing that link. I hope the tradition can be carried on! – Art

“Basically we have shrunk a much larger boat into a trailerable vessel that you can afford to operate for a pittance compared to other types of rigs. No wound up screaming engines. Just that ultra reliable little diesel ticking away at some 12 to 20 nautical miles per gallon.”

MurrayM and Art
My Allweather boat back on market, everyone says they want this style trawler but have had 3 offers and wives have decided they are not the boat for them...
Really need to sell it to show some cash in bank to refi my mortgage....
Posted on Craigs list Seattle for $20,000 but will look at any reasonable offer...price includes a top of the line trailer...

MurrayM and Art
My Allweather boat back on market, everyone says they want this style trawler but have had 3 offers and wives have decided they are not the boat for them...
Really need to sell it to show some cash in bank to refi my mortgage....
Posted on Craigs list Seattle for $20,000 but will look at any reasonable offer...price includes a top of the line trailer...

Gee, geoh - I truly hope she sells sooner rather than later for ya. You also have her posted on SF CL? Unfortunatly for you we're all set with our Tolly and not looken to buy. If anyone here (north of SF) seems they might like a look at her I'll let you know through TF. Best Luck :thumb: Art

Allweather 26

I spotted this on Craiglist. Looks rough, but it is the least expensive Allweather I have seen. All weather boat
Randy

Looks like we have a buyer capt on a tug boat between wash and ak....Obviously a good fit for the Allweather boat.

Back
Top Bottom