New member from BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnC3

Hi everyone -- new to the forum and have been really enjoying the wealth of information on here.

I live in Gibsons, BC in Canada and have 25+ years of sailing experience (starting with laser 4.7 as a kid up to several years of crewing on Melges 32s and Swan 45s in New England). We currently have a an old Catalina 27 sailboat, but my wife is keen to switch to power (despite my best efforts!), so we're looking to make the move to a trawler this year.

Our ultimate goal is to spend 4-6 weeks each summer puttering around Desolation Sound (right on our doorstep) and the Gulf Islands, as well as a few impromptu trips around Howe Sound/to Vancouver Island through the shoulder seasons. Very impressed with Helmsman Trawlers so far, and have found this forum to be extremely helpful in terms of asking myself the right questions as we narrow down our search.

Thanks all,
John Cooney

Greetings,
Welcome aboard eh? Listen to the missus. Dump the sails and enjoy yourselves. Life's too short to freeze your privates in an open cockpit or live in a cave.

Thanks RTF!

If I want to spend time afloat, I'll have to appease her (I may hide a laser/Hobie 16 down the end of the garden for when I miss the feeling of soggy hiking shorts and frostbitten fingers!)

Hi Northern Spy - we luckily have moorage up in Pender Harbour (moorage was assumable with our current boat...and half of the appeal in buying it). As I'm sure you know, it's a huge challenge on the Coast. Most marinas between Gibsons and Egmont have 5-10 year waitlists. Not sure if the Powell Riveria ( :) :) ) is any different?

Current spot can apparently accommodate up to 40', but i think anything over ~35' would be pushing it!

Make the switch to the Dark Side! Remember, sailboats are really power boats with a big stick anyway!:D
Welcome aboard!:dance:

Thanks Slowgoesit -- my wife will happily swap the big stick and bed sheets for a few creature comforts!

Welcome!

I love motorboating but also sailing.
I hang a Walkerby 10 in the davits and I have a lot of fun with that, it sails fine!

Greeting

Pascal.

Pascall, hello - I foresee something similar, perfect for exploring all of the little coves and inlets in our neck of the woods!

John, there's at least one TF member here from Gibson's Landing, C Lectric. Maybe he will give you a shout.

Welcome aboard. And bring your Laser along. I had a rack built to carry my Laser, which encouraged our then early teen son to come along for another few years. I still sail it regularly, so can get a wet bum and cold fingers whenever I want.

Welcome Aboard, Eh.

We get a lot of converts to the dark side. A real bed, genny, hot water, heated cockpit (saloon) etc. Lots to be said for a trawler.

pete

Son of Marvin Cooney by any chance? Good day to you.

I suspect you know this but Moorage is tight. The 3 marinas are full. However go talk to them. Do not let nay sayers put you off. THe smaller boats have a better chance than the larger boats. The 33 Helmsman would likely do better than a larger boat. We have a number of the Rangers, 25, 27 and 29.

There is also Port Stalishan at Field Rd. The boat needs to be well secured as it is wide open to Georgia Straight and the winds. Extra lines and the black rubber snubbers. The entrance is shallow so you must pay attention to the tides for egress/entry. However I have known a couple of folk who went there, maintained their waiting list position by checking every few months and eventually they got a slip.

Several of our Y.C. members , GYC, have had to put the boat in Pender Hbr.
Some will get winter moorage and then hang the boat for the summer on a mooring ball.

Anyways, go in and talk to the marinas. Get on a waiting list. Politely keep checking.

By the way they will charge you for the wait list but , if I remember correctly, that will be refunded or used as part of the first years moorage cost.

The main thing is to get a good idea of the boat size and type you want and go talk to them. There are always people that get slips earlier than anticipated.

GOOD LUCK.

Does Pender have moorage for 65’ trawler? I have covered winter moorage (well, year round) but it seems scenic to be there or further North.

Welcome aboard John!!
My wife and I went through similar changes, but for us, she still loved to sail although physically it was difficult for her.
Good advice so far regarding moorage. For your existing slip, ensure that whatever boat(s) your are considering will not only fit, but be allowed by the marina. Also, check with your insurance company, as some are very "picky" about how much you move up in size and any requirements they may put upon you????
When we were seriously looking, we were really down to 3 boats: the Nordic Tug 37, the American Tug 34, and the Helmsman 37. There were only a very few Helmsman for sale (used), and that was a big factor for us. We did not want to build for many reasons, the biggest being price. For us, we found the NT 32/34 to be a bit too small, and found the smallest boat that would "work" for us to be the AT 34 (single cabin though). We ended up with our NT 37 and really enjoyed that boat!!!
Good luck with your "transition". :)

Reversing the Process

I have heard tell of shopping first for moorage of the preferred size and location and then finding a suitable boat to fit. In today's tight boat market, this may not be as successful as in pre-COVID days. However, if you can lock in your "dream moorage" and sublet it while you search for your "dream boat", maybe...? Hard to know which box to think out of :)

Hi C Lectric - no relation to Marvin (that I know of... and there aren't too many of us Cooneys).

Thanks for the feedback RE marinas, very helpful - we have a spot in John Henrys, and will be holding onto that 100%. Would ideally like to be a bit closer to home (Gibsons), but would happily settle for Secret Cove (we've just found that extra drive to PH limits how often we get up there during the week in the summer time).

I'm also keeping a close eye on boats coming up for sale with assumable moorage in Gibsons - could tie us over through the spring while we continue our trawler search!

Thanks again!

Thanks Tom - some very sound advice! I hadn't considering the insurance implications, but have been reading a few threads on it now - definitely something to dig into RE size of trawler. I do think we'll take a couple of courses through the winter, both so that my wife will feel a little more comfortable taking the reigns on occasion and to curry some favour with insurers when we get to that point!

NTs and ATs are both definitely on our search list, beautiful looking boats!

Cheers,
John

Hi rcsomany!

Definitely a few ways to skin a cat -- we're getting on wait lists at preferred marinas, looking at existing boats with moorage and also focusing the search more heavily on boats that would fit within our existing spot. Definitely a little overly complex, but a handy excuse as i justify how many hours i spend pouring through forums, boat listing, etc. :) :)

John,
You may want to check out Slowboat.com for boating in the San Juans and beyond.

Can anyone tell me how to do a new post? I haven't done it yet and can't figure it out.
Thanks Ed

My advice is to plan your trip further north. The San Juans are too crowded. Head to the north end of Vancouver Island and turn north. Once you cross Queen Charlotte sound the cruising becomes amazing. Three; Rivers Inlet, Bella Bella, Ocean Falls, the Fijordlands. Beautiful uncrowded cruising. Also consider heading west and working up the coast of Vancouver Island to Tofino, Hot Springs, Nootka Sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone -- new to the forum and have been really enjoying the wealth of information on here.

I live in Gibsons, BC in Canada and have 25+ years of sailing experience (starting with laser 4.7 as a kid up to several years of crewing on Melges 32s and Swan 45s in New England). We currently have a an old Catalina 27 sailboat, but my wife is keen to switch to power (despite my best efforts!), so we're looking to make the move to a trawler this year.

Our ultimate goal is to spend 4-6 weeks each summer puttering around Desolation Sound (right on our doorstep) and the Gulf Islands, as well as a few impromptu trips around Howe Sound/to Vancouver Island through the shoulder seasons. Very impressed with Helmsman Trawlers so far, and have found this forum to be extremely helpful in terms of asking myself the right questions as we narrow down our search.

Thanks all,
John Cooney

Hi John.
Welcome to trawler’s forum. I’m a BC boater with many years under my keel. I invite you to check out the Mainship 34 as an ideal trawler for BC waters. Happy to show you around my 2007 Mainship.
Drew

First - welcome
Second - my wife and I sailed for over 50 years. Our last boat was a C&C Corvette, 32 feet keel centreboard. Loved it.
Fall of 2019, purchased an 1989 Island Gypsy 32, single screw, sedan w/ flybridge. For us it was perfect. Like going from a 600 sqft bachelor pad to a 1600 sqft home. Although I will go sailing with anyone who asked, will never go back to owning a sailboat.
There are a number of trawlers in the 30 - 35 foot range.
BTW - we are currently on the Great Loop, 120 days out, approx 1700 nm completed, 4300 nm to go. Should be complete sometime next August.

Be aware, that if shopping for moorage, some marinas in the PNW require the exact boat info to get on the waiting list, and if you show up with a different boat, you may end up back at the bottom of the list!
Just saying you should check the list requirements before you plunk down $$ (if required) to get on a list. Also, specify if you want live aboard moorage, as it will narrow your options a LOT!
Best of luck in your search!

You might try the Fraser River for moorage

When I first got my boat I moored at Captains Cove in Ladner. I worked close by at the time so it made sense. The only downside was 13 miles to the mouth of the river and tidal considerations. At the same time I joined the Vancouver Rowing Club and put myself on its waitlist. Joining a yacht club is a good way to meet fellow boaters and secure moorage. After I retired I moved my boat to Coal Harbour in Vancouver.

Back
Top Bottom