Old 11-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #28
Flatswing
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
In June 2021 here in SW BC, we had a "heat dome". My rails suffered, as if someone had gone around with a heat gun, enough to bubble the varnish, not enough to break open any of the bubbles. I am not finished taking the bubbled sections back to bare wood and starting again. I am watching this thread, but so far haven't seen anything that would suggest moving from Epifanes varnish to Awlwood. The heat tolerance has not been mentioned. Anyoe have experience with Awlwood in high temps? The darkening happens with varnish too. Mine has not been taken down to wood since the second owner did so in 1988 (+-1yr). Bubble repairs have forced taking long sections down and the colour is much lighter.
Wow! That must have been some heat dome! Here in SE US, afternoon
temps in the sun can easily reach 125 deg F but I've never seen my Epiphanes bubble as you describe. It gradually loses its shine over the summer cruising season due to the sun. The base varnish remains stable, though gradually lightens in color over the first 2-3 yrs due to sun bleaching. 2-3 coats after a light sanding annually brings it back to like new. Perhaps something in the initial prep caused the bubbling later?