Stranded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
EV Boats.

Mayday mayday mayday.

I have run my batteries low. My solor panels are down and need a tow!!!

So what do you do?

There is nothing political here. Just a little funny to think about.

Mayday, mayday, mayday,

I ran out of fuel because I didn’t monitor my fuel tanks, fuel burn or range. Don’t bother with the jug of fuel because I, like many others, do not know how to bleed the injection system.

Also, my filters are clogged and I’m gripped with analysis paralysis, peer pressure and confirmation bias over which fuel filter system is best. So I’m curled up in the fetal position on the salon sole. Roger over and out.

You ran through 400 gal of fuel and not once dropped into the tank room to look around?

Same story as plenty of other ways to get a boat stuck at anchor. Usually starts with something not working right or poor systems design, something else that wasn't paid attention to, and suddenly there's no fuel, power, or something to start an engine. Or in this case, no power to move the boat and the broken solar has removed the "just leave it in the sun for a while" option for recharging.

EV Boats.

Mayday mayday mayday.

So what do you do?

I get your point but there is no immediate threat to life and/or the vessel. Anchor up and wait for some sun to come along.

EV Boats ? , Not in my lifetime (but I am old)

pete

Greetings,
Even with the current (poor IMO) battery technology there WILL be a place for electric boats. Short haul around the harbour/coast trips similar to the use of EV's in cities. We're NOT at the stage (yet) of electric taking over for long haul usage although I'm confident that it will come.

Start your generator, recharge your house batteries

You have 3 ways to charge your batteries. If all 3 are down you are pretty much screwed
4 if you add towing

Get out the really long extension cord!
HW

Toss a line to another boat and tie the 50 amp power cord to it...drag it thru the water to your boat and plug in for a while......no problem.

Old saying; poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part

Obviously not a mayday situation.

Like with any other breakdown, you would:

1. Switch to alternative/redundant power source (gen or backup power bank)
2. Fix it
3. Get towed back to land and deal with it there.

The merits of having 2 engines or backup propulsion is debated endlessly here. I would think the electric boat guys would consider the same ideas.

Mayday, mayday, mayday,

I ran out of fuel because I didn’t monitor my fuel tanks, fuel burn or range. Don’t bother with the jug of fuel because I, like many others, do not know how to bleed the injection system.

Also, my filters are clogged and I’m gripped with analysis paralysis, peer pressure and confirmation bias over which fuel filter system is best. So I’m curled up in the fetal position on the salon sole. Roger over and out.

Or you did carefully calculate your fuel burn range to get to the cheap fuel dock in Anacortes and you did monitor your tanks but didn’t realize that the senders are located at the back and will show several inches left when you start sucking air if you are on a half-step. Then knowing how to prime and bleed your engine in theory because you took the full-day Trawler U class but having a hard time putting it all together in real-time with your family and passing boaters looking on as you drift outside the mouth of the Swinomish channel within sight of a recent wreck. Not that I know anybody who has done that…

I have 3x4d house batteries and a feed to generator I can the forth 4thX4d to buss.

I'd get on YouTube and build one of the free electricity motor-generator thingies. There are hundreds of designs. Usually some variation of a motor turning an alternator which is feeding the motor. This will recharge your batteries quickly, no fuel required. In fact, really no need for batteries at all.

EV Boats.

Mayday mayday mayday.

So what do you do?

Ha Ha, but as a former electric vehicle owner, not without some element of truth.

However a very real 'mayday' risk is fire in the Li-ion batteries. The electrolyte is highly flammable and exceedingly difficult to extinguish. Also fumes are extremely toxic limiting rescue efforts.

I'd raise the sail.

I actually did stumble across a sailboat today that has been converted to an electric drive motor. Claimed to get 2 hrs on battery power. Seemed like a reasonable set-up.

I'd get on YouTube and build one of the free electricity motor-generator thingies. There are hundreds of designs. Usually some variation of a motor turning an alternator which is feeding the motor. This will recharge your batteries quickly, no fuel required. In fact, really no need for batteries at all.

References please. The Law of Conservation of Energy would beg to differ with any claims of a true perpetual energy machine.

Since the law of conservation of energy proves that energy can neither be created or destroyed, and friction be a parasite on energy, the amount of energy created by the alternator can never be equal too or greater than the amount of energy required to spin the alternator.

References please. The Law of Conservation of Energy would beg to differ with any claims of a true perpetual energy machine.

Since the law of conservation of energy proves that energy can neither be created or destroyed, and friction be a parasite on energy, the amount of energy created by the alternator can never be equal too or greater than the amount of energy required to spin the alternator.

If it's on YouTube it's gotta be true. :)

Is the beer still iced? Is grill still working? Wife ashore? Tomorrow is another day...

Ha Ha, but as a former electric vehicle owner, not without some element of truth.

However a very real 'mayday' risk is fire in the Li-ion batteries. The electrolyte is highly flammable and exceedingly difficult to extinguish. Also fumes are extremely toxic limiting rescue efforts.
:facepalm:
As has been noted in many previous threads, the Li batteries used in typical
boat installations are not the same design or chemistry as those used in cars
and don't share the same risks.

LiPo4 batteries are a completely different chemistry than Li batteries used in other applications. You could almost say that a shorted and dry Lead Acid battery is more dangerous.

TF needs a sarcasm emoji

? Upside-Down Face
Emoji Meaning
A classic smiley, turned upside down. Implemented as a flipped version of ? Slightly Smiling Face on most platforms.

Commonly used to convey irony, sarcasm, joking, or a sense of goofiness or silliness.
?

Re: Post #25 ???

iu

Greetings,
...similar to the use of EV's in cities. We're NOT at the stage (yet) of electric taking over for long haul usage although I'm confident that it will come.

For cars, there is a tipping point nearer than is commonly thought. (I think:rolleyes:). We have owned or leased three electric Smarts for around-town use over the last ten years and just replaced our "long range" Honda Accord with a plug-in Prius. Not "virtue signalling" here, on my block there are two Teslas, an e-Volvo and one of those ugly little BMWs . All recent acquisitions.

The guy across the street has been driving a Nissan Leaf for years and is enamored of my plug-in Prius, but can't find one with less than a year lead.and our Chevy dealer can't keep a Bolt for his showroom. I think the shift is on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom