Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
Conrad
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy 11 View Post
I spoke with Homer Hughes yesterday -- currently living in Skagit County --- he's majorly not well and not building any more boats ...... the only allweather available that I can find is Homers personal boat which I'd love to have BUT he's asking $79,900 for it(has a trailer!!) ....... I've asked my wifeand she said NO!!! Any suggestions????.....However Homer has given me a number of his friend who has an Albin he'd be willing to part with.... any inside info on Albins-- some say they are quite underpowered (7knots against a 7 knot current etc.)------ this is half the price so maybe I'll have more luck!!!!!!! stay dry........ps out yesterday training with our RCM-SAR station --- 5'rollers recovering our Oscar(Chucky) from water -- shouldn't have had Sunday brunch!!!! ------- Everyone got wet..... Fun.... jp
The speed depends on the Albin and the engine.
The early Albins had a pure displacement hull and usually came with 25 hp 2 cylinder Volvos.
Later models had a slight modification to the hull which kept the stern from squatting and equipped with the 36 hp 3 cylinder Volvo could run in the 8 - 9 knot range although not very happily.

I've owned both, and the later model would be my preference. I believe, but am not sure, that if it is a deluxe then it has the hull mod. All I can say for sure is that our slower hull was a 1972 and our faster one was a 1976.

The later models also have somewhat better storage, such as shelving in the aft cabin.

Many have been repowered, often with Yanmars, which is a sweet engine. But only the hull mod will give you that little bit of extra speed unless you like to dig a big hole in the water.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote