Chain Hooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This mantus hook is no longer offered. And when it was, I don't think it went up to 1/2" chain unfortunately.

We purchased the M-2 Mantus chain hook for 1/2" chain, but have never used it. The boat came with a flat chain hook as described above, flat slot with two holes in each side for the snubber line. It's held just fine in 70mph winds, 3' seas this summer, so why try something else?

I'm just learning this Dyneema stuff, but seems to me the thru-link manner (#1) would be more chafe-inducing. Not a problem with Dyneema?

Peter

Yes, you would think. But no. My soft shackle was just fine after years of use, at least until I dropped it overboard..... fortunately I had a second one.

I think the hardest part about using Spectra/Dyneema is getting comfortable with such a seemingly small line carrying so much weight. It's a mind bender. My dinghy sling uses 3/16" Dyneema. When you look at it you think there is no way it can carry the load. But each of the four lines is good for 5400lbs, or over 20,000 lbs combined. My dinghy weighs 1000 lbs, so I think I'm safe....

You can tie your own soft shackles. It isn't difficult or time consuming, less so than a 3 strand eye splice. There are many ways to make them, this one is particularly simple. Testing on soft shackles typically show them to be around 150% - 190% of the line strength. But I'd size it closer to the breaking strength of the chain (or weak point in the system), not the WLL of chain. I don't want to make the snubber attachment the weak point.

If you are going to do much work with dyneema, do yourself a favor and buy a knife or shears made to cut dyneema early on. Makes life a lot easier!

I'm looking forward to doing this, but haven't yet.

This mantus hook is no longer offered. And when it was, I don't think it went up to 1/2" chain unfortunately.

We purchased the M-2 Mantus chain hook for 1/2" chain, but have never used it. The boat came with a flat chain hook as described above, flat slot with two holes in each side for the snubber line. It's held just fine in 70mph winds, 3' seas this summer, so why try something else?

Yes, This is the link to the current Mantus M2 chain hook.

https://youtu.be/Mbs46L7Hsmw

I understand there will be a "new" addition in January 2023

Picture #2 is the Prusik Hitch attachment.

That's actually a Klemheist hitch, which is a uni-directional Prusik Hitch. You just have to remember to wind the loop towards the anchor. It is faster to tie (takes me 7 seconds to attach, if that's important). Soft shackles can serve other uses onboard (not so a chain hook), easily made up if a replacement needed (not so a chain hook), and probably other trivial differences. Cost was also right because the neighbor had some Amsteel scraps left over from his standing rigging. I now have a variety in the small stuff ditty bag. My chain hook was misplaced (but not missed) years ago.

Yes, This is the link to the current Mantus M2 chain hook.

https://youtu.be/Mbs46L7Hsmw

I understand there will be a "new" addition in January 2023

I've been using the Mantus M2 for a couple years now and am very happy with it. I prefer how it "cups" the chain link vs the pinching action of others. I would not buy a chain grabber that doesn't have a means to hold it to the chain without tension. I have a spare rubber retainer (with chafe protection) for the Mantus that is easily replaced.

Theres no need to splurge for the sk99 dyneema. The soft shackle has evolved to versions that reach 230% of single line breaking strength. Even the older designs were over 150%.

5/16 and even 1/4" sk78 dyneema at 150% puts you well above the working load limits of a standard chain.

I seem to remember this subject coming up when I first joined this group. Fast forward to now, our snubber system has evolved over the years due to failures at extremes.

Lots of success with suncor chain hooks, but less than optimal as mentioned in shallow anchorages. Also when we used a hook we eventually spliced it directly to the snubber after having had a stainless thimble collapse and deform during a storm. The snubber was apparently stretched to more than 30% of its working load and became hockled in the middle and melted into one large mass at the eye splice.

We now use multiple smaller diameter 8 plait snubbers all tuned for specific wind ranges. Plait construction offers much greater energy absorption and strength than our single nylon 3 strand snubbers and they are also much lighter and easier to deploy. We also now splice the eyes with frictionless rings for use with soft shackles.

Chain hooks are no longer an option when we choose to use more than one snubber (>35 knots) so we switched over to the soft shackles. Once again under extreme conditions the soft shackles have also melted and one failed catastrophically. That’s also another reason we use multiple snubbers for bad weather.

I’m currently thinking of sourcing some sk99 fiber amsteel and giving the soft shackles another go. For known storm conditions though I’ll go back to old reliable, a simple rolling hitch tied directly to our chain for each snubber. As usual there is no one perfect solution.

Bowball if want to try a soft shackle 5/16” should be able to run right through one of your chains links.

I have been using the mantus hook. I like it. My 2 cents

I've been using the Mantus M2 for a couple years now and am very happy with it. I prefer how it "cups" the chain link vs the pinching action of others. I would not buy a chain grabber that doesn't have a means to hold it to the chain without tension. I have a spare rubber retainer (with chafe protection) for the Mantus that is easily replaced.

I guess we'll have to try it and compare it to the one we've been using! Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!?!:D

I guess we'll have to try it and compare it to the one we've been using! Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!?!:D

If you are going to try a new trick, try a $40 soft shackle first and see how you like it. If you don't like it, then drop $200- $300 on an M2 chain hook.

If you are going to try a new trick, try a $40 soft shackle first and see how you like it. If you don't like it, then drop $200- $300 on an M2 chain hook.

I’m gong to try a soft shackle.

In the meantime, the Ultra has worked well. I like its design and how it doesn’t pinch the chain in the wrong direction. Hasn’t ever come off either.

https://fehrwaymarine.ca/products/ultra-chain-grab

Like all Ultra gear, pricey but well made.

Yep, that or the Victory hook for similar coin.

Worked well for us with 6 years of daily anchoring and was on when we had 80+ knots.

https://www.48northmarine.com/snubber-hook-victory-lg.html

CH2303_large.jpeg

Last edited:

slowgoesit already has the M2 chain hook. The only thing that worries me about the soft shackle is friction/chafe. Do you think 90 tons, swinging on the hook in heavy winds, could use a soft shackle? I would think the soft shackle would start to heat up and melt at some point.

slowgoesit already has the M2 chain hook. The only thing that worries me about the soft shackle is friction/chafe. Do you think 90 tons, swinging on the hook in heavy winds, could use a soft shackle? I would think the soft shackle would start to heat up and melt at some point.

I use one on a 100 ton boat, and I know others who use them on much heavier boats.

I'm looking at the chain hooks that people have posted and breaking strength ratings are conspicuously absent. Anyone seen ratings for any? SS is typically a lot lower strength than G4 chain. A soft shackle is load rated and it's MUCH higher than the break strength of the chain. I expect most chain hooks are a weak link, not a strong link.

I use one on a 100 ton boat, and I know others who use them on much heavier boats.

I'm looking at the chain hooks that people have posted and breaking strength ratings are conspicuously absent. Anyone seen ratings for any? SS is typically a lot lower strength than G4 chain. A soft shackle is load rated and it's MUCH higher than the break strength of the chain. I expect most chain hooks are a weak link, not a strong link.

The Mantus M2 has a WLL of 9200 lbs and UBL of 37k. I used soft shackles for my 1,500 lb dinghy, but couldn't take it (psychologically). I switched over to chain and galvanized lifting hooks. I know the nylon and soft shackles are rated higher, but I kept thinking of chafe and UV breaking down the material.

bkcorwin,
we’ve melted two 3/8” soft shackles (biggest size we can use based on our chain size)in the past few months. First was a 60 hour blow rafted to another boat, (another story) combined displacement 105 tons w/avg wind speed of 35 knots. Second was in a Hurricane but on its fringe so 50 knots max for an hour avg 25 for 14 hours. Seas were 4-5 in both instances. The main reason I want to source sk99 is because I’m skeptical about the lot I used to make these soft shackles. Free is often the most expensive option. Simply put there is an abundance of chineema on the market now and you need to pony up for the real stuff if you want to sleep at night. Another thing is the annual degradation of the fiber and the environmental issues. Seems that chineema doesn’t hold up to spec. We are only 65 tons but for named storms we won’t be using soft shackles for known storms without further testing.

Over the years I have purchased almost every metal chain attachment device . Spent many hundreds of bucks on these . They were never completely suitable compared to a soft shackle (SS). Once I used the soft shackle I never used another metal attachment device. In addition to not having to worry about the metal devices falling off, the SS lets me attach the bridle on deck rather than hanging over the bow platform. I use a 1/4" SS (purchased from Amazon) on 5/16" G4 chain. The snubbers, which have metal thimbles at each end are threaded through the SS which is first threaded thru the chain.

We've already got the M2 hook, so no additional cost. But the soft shackle is on the list to try as well!

The Mantus M2 has a WLL of 9200 lbs and UBL of 37k. I used soft shackles for my 1,500 lb dinghy, but couldn't take it (psychologically). I switched over to chain and galvanized lifting hooks. I know the nylon and soft shackles are rated higher, but I kept thinking of chafe and UV breaking down the material.

I see it now, thanks. That's a good rating that matches the chain strength.

Attachments

• 26ECFACB-E3A6-4D69-BDD0-C8AE0D032C6A.jpg
    26ECFACB-E3A6-4D69-BDD0-C8AE0D032C6A.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 703F6D21-CB0D-41A5-814A-0C585FA4A2B2.jpg
    703F6D21-CB0D-41A5-814A-0C585FA4A2B2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I like the mantus hook because I set the bridle up first and bring the hook up though the chain pass. Once I set the anchor I hook and let it feed back out with the chain.

A more recent Mantus write up (2018) with their stronger M2, and why the hook doesn’t need to be as strong as the chain.

Why we think it’s acceptable to use a stainless steel chain hook inline with a snubber/bridle even if it’s not as as strong as the chain?

M2 Hook Size M2 Hook WLL M2 Hook UBS G3 Chain UBS G4 Chain UBS G7 Chain UBS
1/4 in (6-7mm) 1,686 lbs 6,744 lbs 5,200 lbs 7,800 lbs 13,650 lbs
5/16 in (8mm) 3,788 lbs 15,154 lbs 7,600 lbs 11,700 lbs 20,475 lbs
3/8 in (10mm) 5,516 lbs 22,066 lbs 10,600 lbs 16,200 lbs 28,350 lbs
1/2 in (12-13mm) 9,271 lbs 37,085 lbs 18,000 lbs 27,000 lbs 48,300 lbs

The Mantus M2 Hook is stronger than most chain grades on the market. Most stainless steel chain hooks are weaker than Grade 40 chain.

At first look, one might make an argument that stainless-steel hooks are too weak to use on snubbers and bridles, especially when using hi test chain. However, if you look at how a snubber is stressed and how these loads differ from the chain’s experiences in the absence of the snubber, we can see it is not. A typical 35-foot boat, according to ABYC loads table (see below), at 42 knots of wind can expect a load of 1800 lbs on its anchor rode and at 60 knots of wind a load of 3600 lbs. A typical 35-foot sailboat will be outfitted with 5/16″ chain WLL 1900 lbs and breaking strength of 7600 lbs. Most experts agree that these ABYC loads already include a 3-fold allotment for shock loading.

Therefore, the loads that use a properly sized snubber are a third of the loads reported below. This illuminates the importance of using the snubber line and explains why snubber design parameters are different than the design specifications for chain.

Shock loads produced without the use of the bridle or a snubber can create loads on the chain that are 3+ times the average load experienced by the chain. Worst case scenario, in a 60-knot blow, the shock load on the chain would produce an estimated load of 3600 lbs. The chain would be tasked with having a breaking strength 4 times the recommended working limit. If we were using the hook to connect two pieces of chain, the same requirement would be necessary.

Wind
Speed
(Knots) Anchor Name
Boat Length – Feet
20 25 30 35 40 50 60
15 Lunch Hook 90 125 175 225 300 400 500
30 Working 360 490 700 900 1200 1600 2000
42 Storm 500 720 1400 1800 2400 3200 4000
60 Violent Storm 980 1440 2800 3600 4800 6400 8000

Since we are using the hook to connect an elastic snubber to the chain, the shock loads are dissipated, and the snubbing hook will maintain loads a third of those reported in the ABYC table (1200 lbs vs 3600 lbs.)

Since the M2 Mantus Chain Hook is made from Duplex Stainless Steel, it has the Ultimate Breaking Strength somewhere between G4 and G7 chain. However, since its intent is to be used with a snubber, it is way over designed for the job. As an example, the 5/16″ M2 Mantus chain hook has the ultimate breaking strength of 15,154 lbs and has a working load of 3,788 lbs, which means it can be used on a 50-foot boat in 60 knots with a 5/16″ G70 Chain.

I would think the soft shackle would start to heat up and melt at some point.

This is one of those concerns that goes away after a moment's reflection. My soft shackle connection is below the water surface. The melting point of Amsteel and similar is +260F. In order to melt the line used for a soft shackle, the water would need to boil around the connection point. I've never seen the water boil from using a chain hook or soft shackle. Anybody?

Same with UV concern, although it takes a little research. At a depth of 2.5cm (one inch), UV is attenuated by 33% at high noon in tropical saltwater (study linked below). Other times of day (and night), other latitudes, other water clarity, etc. can make a difference, but if your soft shackle is under water by several feet, the effect of UV is zero. If a soft shackle was left lying on deck all the time, after many days/weeks it might be as weak as your anchor chain. Cause for concern?

https://aslopubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.4319/lo.1989.34.8.1623

Very nice! Price is right too. Have you seen the WLL to these (1/2 inch)?

I have seen real life WLL in the 80+ knots.

Chain never went through the chainwheel nicely after that so there was some slight immeasurable deformation of the 13mm chain and it had to be replaced.

Chain hook is still in use and been through several 50+ knot blows since

I should point out, that 80+ blow was soon after purchase and the snubber on the boat was a single 25mm polypropylene rope, so low stretch.

Since then we have replaced with single 20mm nylon.
Daily snubber with chain hook is 5m long
Storm snubber with heavy duty Galv eye and soft shackle is 10m
It would be easy to attach some bungy cord to that loop to hold it to the chain.

Once we got the length of loop sorted we have never had an issue ( count of 10 winding chain out)

Last edited:
Oh for sure. Definitely buy legit material from known suppliers. I would never suggest the cheap amazon dyneema for a bridle soft shackle (I do use it for lifting kayaks).

I mainly meant that sk75 would also work fine vs sk99.

bkcorwin,
we’ve melted two 3/8” soft shackles (biggest size we can use based on our chain size)in the past few months. First was a 60 hour blow rafted to another boat, (another story) combined displacement 105 tons w/avg wind speed of 35 knots. Second was in a Hurricane but on its fringe so 50 knots max for an hour avg 25 for 14 hours. Seas were 4-5 in both instances. The main reason I want to source sk99 is because I’m skeptical about the lot I used to make these soft shackles. Free is often the most expensive option. Simply put there is an abundance of chineema on the market now and you need to pony up for the real stuff if you want to sleep at night. Another thing is the annual degradation of the fiber and the environmental issues. Seems that chineema doesn’t hold up to spec. We are only 65 tons but for named storms we won’t be using soft shackles for known storms without further testing.

All,

Thanks for chiming in. I was quite surprised by the number of positive responses regarding the soft shackle solution. There is some 7/16" AmSteel in route and I will do some spicing when it shows up.

This is a paradigm shift for me, but the simplicity of deployment/retrieval makes it well suited for the deck crew. It sure seems like a Ron Propeil "set it and forget it" solution.

Thanks all for your experienced input and insight.

All,

Thanks for chiming in. I was quite surprised by the number of positive responses regarding the soft shackle solution. There is some 7/16" AmSteel in route and I will do some spicing when it shows up.

This is a paradigm shift for me, but the simplicity of deployment/retrieval makes it well suited for the deck crew. It sure seems like a Ron Propeil "set it and forget it" solution.

Thanks all for your experienced input and insight.

Let us know what you think after you have used it a couple of times.

I use a Mantus M2 chain hook. A little pricey but a very well built piece. Matches the strength of your chain and has a strap to keep it from falling off. Won’t put damaging pull on a chain link. Google Mantus M2 chain hook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom