How much does my boat weigh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Anyone have a ball park figure on what a 1977 Marine Trader 34DC weigh?

Just looking for an estimate for planning end of season haul out. I have no idea.

What does your boat tip the scales at?

Thanks

Just looking for an estimate for planning end of season haul out. I have no idea.

Thanks

They should tell you when they lift it
Smallest travel lift I have seen is 40 tonne and will have no problems lifting yours.

They should tell you when they lift it
Smallest travel lift I have seen is 40 tonne and will have no problems lifting yours.

I think the travel lift here is an antique, definitely the smallest I’ve ever seen. I asked if they would be able to haul me and the said yes. He asked me how much it weighs, but I don’t have any idea. He said probably 21-22000. Just wondering if that was close enough.

I think the travel lift here is an antique, definitely the smallest I’ve ever seen. I asked if they would be able to haul me and the said yes. He asked me how much it weighs, but I don’t have any idea. He said probably 21-22000. Just wondering if that was close enough.

10T, or 20,000lbs would be my guess, but it's only a guess.

My '75 CHB34 sedan was 11.5 tonne last time lifted.

Converted for you non-std folk = 25,353.1 lbs

Last edited:
20 - 22k lbs seems like a reasonable estimate to me. It's almost certainly under 25k. Does the MT34 carry any ballast or no? If not, I'd be surprised if it's much heavier than that.

Mine was listed at 19,000 pounds- dry weight. So your figures sound pretty close.

When my CHB, (Clipper), 34 was weighed on the travel-lift I was told 11.5 tonne. I'll leave the LB calc to you.

Oh, wait, I already said that and did the calc several months ago above there. Sorry...:)

Last edited:
Slightly less than 20,000 pounds. Depending on engines and fluids and personal stuff on board.

Empty and dry, more like 16,000 pounds.

pete

Take manufacturers weights with a big grain of salt. They are usually very optimistic, lighter.

My Californian 34 LRC is listed at 18K in the books but tipped the scales at 24K loaded with about half fuel.

When my buddy pulled his 34 it was right around 22,000 pounds with about 3/4 fuel and general cruising gear. Pretty much empty of provisions but probably had a couple hundred pounds of maintenance supplies.

Just following up here, my haulout went fine, they used the hydraulic trailer to move it out of the water and up the boat ramp to the yard. Next time I have the opportunity to get a weight I'll take note.

Thanks

Displacement is 11 tons and the weight is almost the same

If you will tell me how much you paid for it I will tell you how much it weighs.

Figure around a buck a pound for a forty plus year old trawler.

pete

Take manufacturers weights with a big grain of salt. They are usually very optimistic, lighter.
My DeFever is listed as being 44,000#. Last time in the slings, half load of fuel and water, it weighed 56,000#. Full load add another 5,000#.

That's a big discrepancy @Catalinajack. I notice in the specs of various ads for sale that the same boat will be listed with various displacements. I think the most important is just "displacement at DWL" which should be the most accurate number to work from.

Of course, the best number is just what the slings say when you haul out, just make sure to accurately note your fuel and water levels and major stores.

Just following up here, my haulout went fine, they used the hydraulic trailer to move it out of the water and up the boat ramp to the yard. Next time I have the opportunity to get a weight I'll take note.

Sorry, didn't notice the question before. The 2020 Powerboat Guide says 17,000 lbs.

-Chris

That's a big discrepancy @Catalinajack. I notice in the specs of various ads for sale that the same boat will be listed with various displacements. I think the most important is just "displacement at DWL" which should be the most accurate number to work from.

Of course, the best number is just what the slings say when you haul out, just make sure to accurately note your fuel and water levels and major stores.

Unfortunately the only published weight for a lot of boats is a questionably accurate dry weight figure.

Thanks
Just as an FYI, I have an MT 36 and mine is 13 Tons (26K Lbs)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom