exciting !!!! (intro, boat shopping)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucy 11

Veteran Member
We are over on Pender Island B.C. looking for a trailerable "pocket Cruiser" .... I've had an 18.5 foot Malibu which is totally useless in any type of chop..so displacement/semi displacement hull here I come... Boats under consideration are : Coaster 23 / Albin/ Rosborough 24.6/ C-Dory23 / Devlin 26 /Acadia 25 ?????.... Just commencing my search,, all input appreciated!!!!! The boat will be used for Gulf Island Cruising with a little Fishing thrown in .......... Are 4 cylinder Perkins Diesels a good choice in power ----- I'm interested in an inboard ------- how does "podding" effect the weight distribution on a boat??? Would seem to me that more weight would be added to the stern creating weight distribution problems .......... looking forward to reading the posts and climbing my steep learning curve...........jp

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many around but a Vashon 23 is a nice pocket cruiser that can trailer and take the bigger water. Many of them where rigged for commercial salmon trolling but some are outfitted as pleasure boats.

Saw one for sale in California that was recently re-fit to better than new condition with trailer. Do not see it advertised now but it may come back up for sale.

...And welcome to the forum

Last edited:
I've owned 2 Albin 25's over the years, and looked closely at a Coaster 23. Although the Coaster has a much saltier look to it, the Albins are a better thought out design and much roomier. I do know that the Albin is a very seaworthy boat, and can handle all but the "of course you wouldn't go out in that" seas.

Another boat to consider, although rare, is the Yar 26, a boat locally built in the 70's and 80's.

Good luck on your quest!

It was only about 6 months ago we were in your shoes. We had a Coaster 23 in our hot little hands, but the deal fell through.

Then we got to thinking...

We would have to get a new trailer for it (local marina is full) because the old one was too dodgy. We'd have to get a bigger truck to haul it. So, then we began rationalizing...

Once we added up the costs of the boat, all the work to bring it up to snuff, the beefy trailer, and a bigger truck...why not just keep our current vehicle and go looking for a bigger, newer, nicer boat?

Happy we did :)

So keep your mind open and your eyes peeled, and good luck!

Thank You

Your comments are much appreciated ..... true, true re. the trailer etc ... the only place I would haul a boat would be into my driveway off season.... The message is to take my time and continue researching ...... standing by!!!

I had an Albin 25 and think they are the best boat of their type but 99% of them have an aft cabin so they won't do as a fisherman unless one can and will do fairly serious surgery.

Sea Dories are great boats but they're outboards and probably pound quite a lot.

There is or was a boat builder in Bellingham WA that built a 26' double ender w a small diesel. The name ... Northwester ... or something like that. There's one in Craig Alaska but I don't think I have a picture of it.

Penderite

Thanks Eric -- I'll check out the Northwester ,,,,,, interesting researching these various boats .... when I make a decision then the next problem is locating the choice..........standing by...jp

radner tug?????

Can't find one ---- I did find a Ranger Tug (lol) --- I'll research thnx. jp

Ranger Tugs

Yikes are they expensive!!!!!! And although they are great looking there isn't much space even for a short weekend trip.........

For a towable boat we chose a 223 REGAL IO.

Duo-props for a bit more efficiency , 305 Chevvy (painted by Volvo) .

About 60 gal of gas with an 8 GPH burn at 23K (not mph) seems enough endurance for built up areas.

Not sure how we would do in AK.

About $6K on a good trailer. Weight of about 6000-7000 all up with trailer.

Check out the "All Weather 26" that may be the boat Eric is referring to. Very hard to find on the market. No frills no nonsense pocket cruiser, it won't impress your neighbors, or be loved by the fuel dock attendant. It will bring you home when the wind blows "fresh to frightening off Cape Stiff"

This may be your lucky day...

Homer Hughes, owner of Allweather Boats, is not in good health and is getting out of the game. His boat is for sale, as is his company;

Allweather Boats

This was my absolute, number one, so far above the rest trailerable boat for BC waters it was ridiculous. I kept a constant vigil for years trying to find one for sale.

Turns out we went for a bigger, beamier boat in the end, but there was a time I would have dropped everything for an Allweather!

More pictures; http://allweatherboats.com/id13.html

Murray

Last edited:
I stand corrected! As MurryM posted, Homer Hughes' 26' Allweather "Cape Caution" is for sale. A beautiful pocket cruiser for 1 and a little crowded for two.

The latest issue of PassageMaker Magazine has an article on boats in that category. They interview owners of several of these boats. I suggest picking up a copy and reading the article.

The Allweather Boat. That's it. Thank you sailor of fortune.

There seems to be a lot of Ranger 25s for sale. There's one at LaConner that looks like new. They are a beautiful boat and make good use of space but are a very light boat.

Ron wrote;
"Well, they do a lot more than painting it." Indeed they do. A LOT more.

Last edited:
Allweather

I'm excited about the Allweather ..... I've checked out their web site and can't imagine a more suitable boat for my purposes....... dry space enough for two in a really sea worthy reliable boat..........I've e-mailed Homer and am awaiting his reply....... even more excited!!!!! thnx. stand by jp

Hi Lucy,

I've sent him emails before and never gotten an answer, so phoning might be your best bet.

The Allweather is something of a sailboat-type hull that's a powerboat. Very good design, very rough execution from the couple I have seen in our local waters in person in terms of the fit and finish of the topsides. Don't know if they are still in business. They are/were north of Bellingham in, I think, Ferndale. I think they still have a website. The last one I saw was in Friday Harbor about two years ago. From what I recall being told at the time, the company was "in business but in limbo." In other words, the owner was hoping to eventually continue or restart production. My impression is that it's something of a one-man operation.

SeaSport makes/made several models in the 20 foot range, the largest being 27 feet. Good designs, well made, many are outboard powered. Great for fishing but some have larger cabins and forecablns so would make good local cruisers, too.

C-Dories are well made boats that will pound your teeth out in rougher water if you try to go fast. They have very flat afterbodies which makes them very efficient since they can be planed with less power than a comparable size deep-V hull. I believe the later models have a bit more of a vee to the hull so may have a better ride.

Osprey is another fishing-cruising-trailerable boat. I/O powered I believe. We know a few people who have them. Only serious complaint I've hearsd is one case where the transom--- which is wood cored--- began to rot out and had to be replaced.

Ranger Tugs are great but are staggeringly expensive for their size. Don't know why, exactly, but they are very well fitted out from the couple of examples I've seen up close. So perhaps it's a matter of getting what you pay for.

Arima makes several models now, the largest being 22 feet. They can be had with hardtops, Alaska bulkheads, forecabins and such to make them great fishing boats and "pocket cruisers." All outboard powered. We have a 1985 Sea Ranger 17' and it does a great job of handling the typical inland water chop. But---- like the C-Dory the Arima gets its efficiency with a deep, sharp forefoot and a shallow-vee afterbody. So it pounds in rougher water.

PS--- Just saw this on the Allweather website.

ANNOUNCEMENT TO FRIENDS OF ALLWEATHER BOATS
From Homer Hughes

Due to personal health issues, I regret to say that I am no longer able to continue the Allweather Boat project. The time has come to offer the project to others who share my interest in creation of common sense, fuel efficient boats. If you are interested in the project, please contact me for further information. This website will continue as a forum for owners of Allweather boats, and others who are interested. Please see the for sale by factory page for sales info on the Allweather company boat, the Cape Caution.

Last edited:
Marin I don't see any sailboat in the Allweather at all. Not a trace.

Marin I don't see any sailboat in the Allweather at all. Not a trace.

Really? Judging by the drawing on the Allweather website the thing looks almost exactly like a double-ended North Sea-type sailing trawler. Seen a lot of them in the UK over the years. Many of them have a centerboard that can be lowered if needed. And they tend to be larger than the little Allweather. But the first time I saw an Allweather in Friday Harbor it immediately reminded both me and Carey of the sailboat hull.

Really? Judging by the drawing on the Allweather website the thing looks almost exactly like a double-ended North Sea-type sailing trawler. Seen a lot of them in the UK over the years. Many of them have a centerboard that can be lowered if needed. And they tend to be larger than the little Allweather. But the first time I saw an Allweather in Friday Harbor it immediately reminded both me and Carey of the sailboat hull.

I thought it looked like a double ender shoal draft myself. Just need a stick.

Allweather

I spoke with Homer Hughes yesterday -- currently living in Skagit County --- he's majorly not well and not building any more boats ...... the only allweather available that I can find is Homers personal boat which I'd love to have BUT he's asking $79,900 for it(has a trailer!!) ....... I've asked my wifeand she said NO!!! Any suggestions????.....However Homer has given me a number of his friend who has an Albin he'd be willing to part with.... any inside info on Albins-- some say they are quite underpowered (7knots against a 7 knot current etc.)------ this is half the price so maybe I'll have more luck!!!!!!! stay dry........ps out yesterday training with our RCM-SAR station --- 5'rollers recovering our Oscar(Chucky) from water -- shouldn't have had Sunday brunch!!!! ------- Everyone got wet..... Fun.... jp

I spoke with Homer Hughes yesterday -- currently living in Skagit County --- he's majorly not well and not building any more boats ...... the only allweather available that I can find is Homers personal boat which I'd love to have BUT he's asking $79,900 for it(has a trailer!!) ....... I've asked my wifeand she said NO!!! Any suggestions????.....However Homer has given me a number of his friend who has an Albin he'd be willing to part with.... any inside info on Albins-- some say they are quite underpowered (7knots against a 7 knot current etc.)------ this is half the price so maybe I'll have more luck!!!!!!! stay dry........ps out yesterday training with our RCM-SAR station --- 5'rollers recovering our Oscar(Chucky) from water -- shouldn't have had Sunday brunch!!!! ------- Everyone got wet..... Fun.... jp

The speed depends on the Albin and the engine.
The early Albins had a pure displacement hull and usually came with 25 hp 2 cylinder Volvos.
Later models had a slight modification to the hull which kept the stern from squatting and equipped with the 36 hp 3 cylinder Volvo could run in the 8 - 9 knot range although not very happily.

I've owned both, and the later model would be my preference. I believe, but am not sure, that if it is a deluxe then it has the hull mod. All I can say for sure is that our slower hull was a 1972 and our faster one was a 1976.

The later models also have somewhat better storage, such as shelving in the aft cabin.

Many have been repowered, often with Yanmars, which is a sweet engine. But only the hull mod will give you that little bit of extra speed unless you like to dig a big hole in the water.

A seller can ask whatever they want, but that's overly optimistic considering how low boats are going for these days. I'd counter with less than half of that.

A 1,500 mile range sure does add to the appeal...

Murray,
Not even that. I'd sell my Willard for 40K and it's twice the boat the AllWeather is.

Conrad,
Not even 1% disrespect but I had an early Albin 25 and I'd call it a semi-disp boat. I had a 34hp Yanmar in it and cruised it at 8.5 knots at 2750rpm. Six knots is hull speed for them and at WOT it could do 10.5 knots. A full disp boat couldn't do that. The bow ran a bit high but I had good visibility fwd at 8.5 knots but not faster than that. I just re-read your post and it's not much different than I would say. The later hull was less efficient and tended to plow along level but I think they overdid it on the design modification. If they only did 50% of the modification it probably would have been perfect. In any event they are one of the best boats ever built. I preferred the older hull but the newer is considerably more stable as the stern is wider and flatter.

Do you ever go to the Albineer events? We've been away but we're still members and plan to go to the AGM dinner/meeting. Any chance we'll see you ther'e Conrad?

If you're in the PNW and want an inexpensive full displacement small trawler - look for an old YAR or WINDY - stable, slow rides

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom