Profiles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Back in the old forum, before the changeover to the new format, many members had posted at least a minumum amount of information about themselves in their profiles. Unfortunately these profiles did not carry over to the new format and I notice that most members have not (re) filled out their profiles since the changeover.

Laziness? Privacy concerns?

I, for one, would like to see at least a little basic background on individual members should a member have no objection to sharing it.

Come on folks! Would like to see a little flesh on your bones.

A little mystery is aways a good thing...

Greetings,
Checked mine. It's all you ever need to know unless I show up on your dock.

gifs-zombie.gif

I agree, David. It's nice to know a little about those we're in our conversation.

I can't believe why people can't even tell what part of the country ther'e from. Frequently I look to see if one is from the east coast or the west and most often that is'nt even indicated. Many just say "USA". Are people paranoid or what?

Just now I wanted to call dwhatty by his real first name But it's not there and he's the one that started this post. Usernames are really hard to copy and get right including caps or LC. John or don would be so much simpler. It would be nice to have first names in the "signature" under the avatar. What could be wrong w posting your first name???

Eric Henning

Last edited:
I had my complete profile for a long time till some creepy guy with a mideastern name started to tell me how he could find my boat and and me if he wanted to and he suggested I be more vague. I don't think he ment any harm but I took it to heart and deleted all my info. I am from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and would be glad to share dock space anytime to a fellow TF'er
Paul

Just now I wanted to call dwhatty by his real first name But it's not there and he's the one that started this post.
Eric Henning

I agree. It should be there. Just went to try and put in my "real" name in my profile. How/where does one do that? I don't see it.

David W. Hawkins, Attorney (Retired).

Last edited:
Way to go David.

The profile details are under "Edit your details" at the top of the "Your Control Panel"

I put my name, boat and town where i lived for a long time and then discovered the "signature" thing. Was kind of a "when in Rome" thing and I've used it since but now after David Hawkins brings this to the fore I'll sign off all my posts w my first name .. Eric. I'm sure glad you brought this up David Hawkins.

Eric

Back in the old forum, before the changeover to the new format, many members had posted at least a minumum amount of information about themselves in their profiles. Unfortunately these profiles did not carry over to the new format and I notice that most members have not (re) filled out their profiles since the changeover.

Laziness? Privacy concerns?

I, for one, would like to see at least a little basic background on individual members should a member have no objection to sharing it.

Come on folks! Would like to see a little flesh on your bones.

Totally agree...ooops, hang on...better check mine..haven't done so for a while.

I had my complete profile for a long time till some creepy guy with a mideastern name started to tell me how he could find my boat and and me if he wanted to and he suggested I be more vague. I don't think he ment any harm but I took it to heart and deleted all my info. I am from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and would be glad to share dock space anytime to a fellow TF'er
Paul

We think we're being private, but in reality if someone wanted to find you it would be really easy. Most people have documented boats. Lots of us have the name of the boat either in our signature, or in a photo, or somewhere.

It takes less than a minute to associate that with a name and address.

Personally I do not care. I live in Alaska (far away), and believe in shoot first ask questions later security, if any goofball wants to create trouble.

We think we're being private, but in reality if someone wanted to find you it would be really easy. Most people have documented boats. Lots of us have the name of the boat either in our signature, or in a photo, or somewhere.

Personally I do not care. I live in Alaska (far away), and believe in shoot first ask questions later security, if any goofball wants to create trouble.

I agree Kevin, tracking down anyone these days is easy. If ya hadn't realized it yet the world is a whole lot smaller than you think, everything is tracked about you and stored in many data bases. If anyone is crazy enough to come to Newfoundland Canada to find me they will be in for a few surprises. First of all I am not there, second I carry a small pistol and thirdly they will probably want to stay once there because we Newfies will treat them so well and love on them, youall will not want to leave. So come on over, up or down and enjoy.

I am am one of those creeps who takes the time to check out where fellow TFers live/boat using my Navionics charting. I also like referring to or talking to people using their first names. If my parents had named me OB, Ocean Breeze or jumpstart, I'd be one unhappy camper or in this forum unhappy boater.

Anyway we all have some unique stories to share and placing a face and a name to someone is ( to me ) important.

My 2 bits :Thanx:
Elwin

Okay Eric, I now have a "signature".

It's good information. This past week I received a PM from Avalon. He saw we were in Trinidad as he was. We invited he and his wife over for cocktails this past Thursday. We're all going out for dinner tonight. :)

Last edited:
I have posted on PMM and TF for 10+years, giving basic informatio, with no prblems and little concern. If anybody wants to find the Eagle its not that hard as she is known in the Area.

Most times when repling its nice to have some basic information.

If not for the personal info shared by many, I would have never had the pleasure and good fortune to meet friends like Pineapple Girl and Pineapple Guy, Giggatoni, markpierce, dswizzler, SeaHorse, Windmist, and Chris Foster.

I hope to meet many more TFers as I travel the country. And to any TFers coming out this way, if you want to get a taste of the CA Delta, look me up. I'll show you our local waters.

Well I've tried twice to enter more information but unless I post my zip code and give my date of birth all I get is an invalid message. Too bad.

Date of birth can be hidden (its an option) in your User CP
I have my date hidden
Zip code cannot, but you need not put yoir correct zip ,if you are concerned

Well I've tried twice to enter more information but unless I post my zip code and give my date of birth all I get is an invalid message. Too bad.

You may remember that the forum was moved from one software platform to another? When we did that we updated the registration profile info to meet current legal requirements. You are being asked about your birthdate because we don't allow kids to register here. This is to meet the COPPA law regs in the USA. Anyone currently registered who never included that info is prompted when they try to update their profile. :flowers:

It's good information. This past week I received a PM from Avalon. He saw we were in Trinidad as he was. We invited he and his wife over for cocktails this past Thursday. We're all going out for dinner tonight. :)

Hey, that's pretty cool, Larry. How about letting us know if Avalon pays so the rest of us along his route can invite him over too! :thumb:

Here you go, Eric. Just edited, so I think it will show. Good idea.

Help! I entered a signature under user CP and saved but it is not showing up. What gives??

Got it

Figured it out

Back
Top Bottom