Old 11-09-2022, 08:39 PM   #19
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
No, nothin wrong, but Racors need maintenance from time to time. Spin-on filter heads never. Takes five minutes per filter to change. No fuss, no muss. No clear bowl but an occasional inspection drain does just fine. Plus, those bowls over time become difficult to see through requiring disassembly and cleaning. Then there is the hokey, useless, metal "heat shield" required by the ABYC. The Tony Athens (Seaboard Marine) setup provides for sequential filtering all in a compact space. I had Racors, hated them. Messy to change filters (compared to spin-ons) and they don't filter any better or worse than the Fleetguards so out they went.
In 35 years of owning Racors on 4 different engines, I would say servicing them more than once every 10 years would be excessive.

As for changing the element, close the fuel valve, open the drain on the bowl, loosen the lid, and remove the element when it's finished draining. No mess, if you have the proper container to catch the fuel from the drain and a zip lock bag for the old element.

One of the other nice features over the Tony filter system, is that between the bowl contents and the filter element, you can see the amount of crud coming out of your fuel tanks. To see that useful information on a Tony system, you'd have to cut the first filter apart. Talk about a total mess for a useful piece of information!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote