Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My experience in naval aviation and private flying taught me of the value of checklists. The Helmsman Trawlers checklist information that I have received from other TF users is very useful but I wanted to put it in a usable and accessible format that can be easily updated. I found an aviation app, MiraCheck Co-Pilot, that works perfectly (Some people have used it for recipes). The checklists can be used hands-free with audio prompts and voice responses. Checklists can include text, bulleted lists, graphics, tables, links and many more. They can be printed to beautifully formatted hard copy checklists. The app runs on PCs and mobile devices, including the Apple Watch. Checklists can be easily shared with other users of the app and exported to several formats. There is a free version but the best features require the Pro version for $99. If it helps avoid one stupid mistake, it’s money well spent. It is also keeping me busy while we wait for our 38E to slowly makes its way across the Pacific for the next eleven days.

https://www.miracheck.com/

Thanks Doug! Last check on your ship showed a November 8th stop in Seattle. Looks like you are getting close to owning a new boat!

Doug,

Just wanted to chime in with the excitement over your new arrival this month. There are so few Helmsman trawlers out there (in comparison to our old Ranger Tug, for example), it feels like a new baby orca is about to join the pod. Looking forward to seeing that gorgeous blue hull on the water. When we come to La Conner (at high tide...lesson learned many years ago) we will look for you.

We just got home after a week and a half on Off Leash. The weather was typical Seattle, but the boat was warm, dry, and oh so very spacious and comfortable. These are remarkably livable boats.

Jeff

Doug,

Just wanted to chime in with the excitement over your new arrival this month. There are so few Helmsman trawlers out there (in comparison to our old Ranger Tug, for example), it feels like a new baby orca is about to join the pod. Looking forward to seeing that gorgeous blue hull on the water.

Jeff,

It’s good to hear the 38E is comfortable in Seattle weather in the fall. We’ll be meeting Alba Bella on a very cool fall day next Thursday. While we won’t exactly be living aboard, we want to cruise through the winter, weather permitting. We made trips on our Bayliner in the winter but it was far from comfortable. Having a cozy warm pilot house with the espresso machine nearby will be a luxury.

We’re filling the long days while the ship makes its way across the Pacific with last minute preparations and purchases. We’ve been generating checklists with MiraCheck which we will refine as we learn more about the boat. The information you shared with us has been very helpful.

Although our adventure is just beginning, sharing our experience with our family, friends and our communities on Trawler Forum and here in Shelter Bay has made the build process very special.

While Alba Bella is being commissioned, the entry to our marina will be dredged along with the north basin. The timing is perfect.

We look forward to meeting you and Off Leash out on the water and maybe at the Helmsman Trawlers rendezvous next spring.

Doug

Starlink dish placement on H38e

After a whole lot of experimentation, we finally followed the advice here on placement of tHe Starlink dishy (affectionately known as stinky). The position with the least obstruction other than the top of the mast, was the stern railing on the starboard side of the flybridge. Placing it as far to starboard as possible had the advantage reducing the likelihood of a collision with the dinghy when we crane it off and on.

We used a Scotty rod holder with a rail mount

https://scotty.com/rod-holders-and-mounts/

Put a length of black 1.5” PVC inside the rod holder with two screws through the rod holder and into the pvc near the base. This formed a fairly snug fit for the dish stem, supported its base, did not inhibit the rotation of the dish, and allowed for an easy feed of the wire into the dish.

We leave the base mount on the railing all the time. We just unscrew the rod holder and stow the dish and rod holder in the cabinet beneath the flybridge helm.

This is going to work great when we use the dish while cruising and it is a very low cost fix. We are on the RV package and have turned it off for the winter, saving some $. But I gotta say, our speeds at the dock have steadily declined over the past two months. And at high use times, the dish is pretty useless. So what started out as a game changer is, due to very high traffic in the Seattle area, not so great all the time. It’ll be fine once we get away from Seattle. I have noticed that everyone has a different experience depending on their location, however. Even in the Seattle area.

Jeff

After a whole lot of experimentation, we finally followed the advice here on placement of tHe Starlink dishy (affectionately known as stinky). The position with the least obstruction other than the top of the mast, was the stern railing on the starboard side of the flybridge. Placing it as far to starboard as possible had the advantage reducing the likelihood of a collision with the dinghy when we crane it off and on.

Put a length of black 1.5” PVC inside the rod holder with two screws through the rod holder and into the pvc near the base. This formed a fairly snug fit for the dish stem, supported its base, did not inhibit the rotation of the dish, and allowed for an easy feed of the wire into the dish.

We leave the base mount on the railing all the time. We just unscrew the rod holder and stow the dish and rod holder in the cabinet beneath the flybridge helm.

This is going to work great when we use the dish while cruising and it is a very low cost fix. We are on the RV package and have turned it off for the winter, saving some $. But I gotta say, our speeds at the dock have steadily declined over the past two months. And at high use times, the dish is pretty useless. So what started out as a game changer is, due to very high traffic in the Seattle area, not so great all the time. It’ll be fine once we get away from Seattle. I have noticed that everyone has a different experience depending on their location, however. Even in the Seattle area.

Jeff

Hey Jeff! Your set up sounds great! Could you please share a photo or two? Quite interested since we will be adding a dishy to ours as well. Thanks

Jeff,

I’d like to know which Scotty components you used and how you routed the cable to the StarLink router.

Does it work OK at anchor?

Are the new StarLink data caps an issue?

Thanks,
Doug

Five days to splashdown in Seattle

Will take pictures when we get back to the boat (and grandkids, of course) next week. It was nice to have a "fix" that was less then $50 for a change. 5% of one boat buck!

Will take pictures when we get back to the boat (and grandkids, of course) next week. It was nice to have a "fix" that was less then $50 for a change. 5% of one boat buck!

Jeff,

I look forward to seeing that. If you’re in the vicinity of Waterline Boats next week, drop by. We’re going down for the offloading on the 10th and we’ll be back down on the 14th for the graphics installation. We’re not sure of the commissioning schedule, but we’ll probably be spending a lot of time there for however long it takes.

Doug

Doug, I think we used the Scotty #230 Powerlock Rod holder and added a Scotty #245 1 1/4" rail mount holder. But worth wandering into Fisheries or West Marine to make sure the measurements are right, since I do not trust my memory on this. Will check again later this next week. The PVC fit nicely into the rod holder but there was about a 1/4" slop between the PVC and the stem of the dishy. I just put a piece of gorilla tape to make things extra snug and to keep water from running down inside of the pvc. Others will have more elegant and durable solutions I am sure. The wire comes up through the base of the rod holder/pvc past the screws no problem.

Exciting that that the new boat arrives next week. Yeehaw!

Jeff

Thanks for posting! That is a great idea, plus no holes in the boat.

One thing you will want to do is pull the Dishy out and fire it up monthly to get new firmware. Users have reported that they have "bricked" theirs by not doing so. Apparently there isn't anyway to fix it if that happens.

I think the speed will head back up as they get more satellites into orbit. I would imagine areas where there are cruise ships could be an issue. They also saw a notice in another forum somewhere that they will throttle anyone who goes over 1 Terabyte of usage in a month, which is about 10% of their users. That is a huge amount of data.

I decided to go with the flat panel, and hope to place it on the arch under the radar beam, but far enough out to have most of the 140 degree range unaffected. The unit with the tripod has a 100 degree range and therefore could be mounted closer. I will probably try it several places with bungy cords to see what works best.

Jeff,

I look forward to seeing that. If you’re in the vicinity of Waterline Boats next week, drop by. We’re going down for the offloading on the 10th and we’ll be back down on the 14th for the graphics installation. We’re not sure of the commissioning schedule, but we’ll probably be spending a lot of time there for however long it takes.

Doug

Keep us posted on commissioning times. I will be cutting things a little close to the holidays, and anything I can learn about the process would be helpful.

final plans on ceramic

Hi everyone.

Jill and I are back from the Yukon and are catching up on the Trawler Forum to get ready for our vessel which should be arriving sometime in December.

In the meantime, we took possession of our new 10’ Bullfrog dingy with a 20 hp Tohatsu this past month and I’m looking forward to breaking her in. Later this week, we’ll go pick up our Stressless recliner that is being shipped from Norway which will match the craftsmanship of Helmsman. We think this chair will fit perfectly into the corner of the salon.

Catching up I have a few questions –

Ceramic –
I spent a lot of time researching this in May and sent out my notes. We’ve decided to continue down the path of having a professional do the hull, tops, bridge, stainless and windows with the remaining option of a clear coat (aka bra) in the areas of the fenders. I see a lot of people aiming for the DYI route. The concerns of DYI for me are my limited experience and the required dry haul-out to do the work.

I was down to two professional candidates:
Premier Custom Ceramic Coat (Everett) – 2 coat process
Nanoflow (Seattle) – 4 coat process

Doug – You are only a couple of days away from that big day! Congrats. I think you will be working with Kevin (Premier) on your Ceramic application?
If so, do you have it scheduled yet and where is he going to do it?

Larry and/or Rick – It sounds like you guys are leaning toward the DYI approach like Helmsman using Permanon. Has there been any thought of where you will have the vessel hauled out and undercover to keep it dry? I know the Pros require this with their applications, I would assume the same for Permanon.

Lastly, is anyone coating the stainless, windows, and/or putting “invisible bras” where the fenders will reside?

Thanks, Tom

Hi everyone.

Jill and I are back from the Yukon and are catching up on the Trawler Forum to get ready for our vessel which should be arriving sometime in December.

In the meantime, we took possession of our new 10’ Bullfrog dingy with a 20 hp Tohatsu this past month and I’m looking forward to breaking her in. Later this week, we’ll go pick up our Stressless recliner that is being shipped from Norway which will match the craftsmanship of Helmsman. We think this chair will fit perfectly into the corner of the salon.

Catching up I have a few questions –

Ceramic –
I spent a lot of time researching this in May and sent out my notes. We’ve decided to continue down the path of having a professional do the hull, tops, bridge, stainless and windows with the remaining option of a clear coat (aka bra) in the areas of the fenders. I see a lot of people aiming for the DYI route. The concerns of DYI for me are my limited experience and the required dry haul-out to do the work.

I was down to two professional candidates:
Premier Custom Ceramic Coat (Everett) – 2 coat process
Nanoflow (Seattle) – 4 coat process

Doug – You are only a couple of days away from that big day! Congrats. I think you will be working with Kevin (Premier) on your Ceramic application?

Larry and/or Rick – It sounds like you guys are leaning toward the DYI approach like Helmsman using Permanon. Has there been any thought of where you will have the vessel hauled out and undercover to keep it dry? I know the Pros require this with their applications, I would assume the same for Permanon.

Lastly, is anyone coating the stainless, windows, and/or putting “invisible bras” where the fenders will reside?

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom, Jill, Lilly! Exciting times indeed! So happy that your boat will be arriving soon! We live vicariously through your delivery adventures so please continue to share your here.

Larry and I have decided to use the Permanon. Over the summer we Tested/coated our entire brand new fiberglass RV, the lawn tractor, the big John Deere tractor and two vehicles. We were very pleased with ease of application and how well it has held up thus far. At this point, the dust and debris just hoses right off with ease. We also coated the glass and stainless on the cars with excellent results, so the plan is to do the same on a boat. We plan on giving it two coats as we did our other projects. As far as keeping it under cover, not necessary if you pick a cloudy, dry day.Our plan is to wash the entire boat with Dawn, start at the top and work down. We will be working in short windows of time and not complete the boat all at once. We may see if we can use a covered slip at our marina if one is available. Granted this application is not as heavy duty as what you are considering, but it allows us to keep things up as needed. We like the idea of the rash guard but also know this is something we can add later if needed.

You will love getting know your Bullfrog! The hard shells are so great! We bought a Whaly 310 and had the opportunity to use it/get to know it all summer long. Love how durable it is. We live 5 min. from the Point Williams boat launch and spent many hours tooling around Dungeness bay with our 9.9. We will be upgrading to a 15 horse at some point but we already had the 9.9 so will use it for awhile.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!:dance:
Larry and Nancy

Hi Tom, Jill, Lilly! Exciting times indeed! So happy that your boat will be arriving soon! We live vicariously through your delivery adventures so please continue to share your here.

Larry and I have decided to use the Permanon. Over the summer we Tested/coated our entire brand new fiberglass RV, the lawn tractor, the big John Deere tractor and two vehicles. We were very pleased with ease of application and how well it has held up thus far. At this point, the dust and debris just hoses right off with ease. We also coated the glass and stainless on the cars with excellent results, so the plan is to do the same on a boat. We plan on giving it two coats as we did our other projects. As far as keeping it under cover, not necessary if you pick a cloudy, dry day.Our plan is to wash the entire boat with Dawn, start at the top and work down. We will be working in short windows of time and not complete the boat all at once. We may see if we can use a covered slip at our marina if one is available. Granted this application is not as heavy duty as what you are considering, but it allows us to keep things up as needed. We like the idea of the rash guard but also know this is something we can add later if needed.

You will love getting know your Bullfrog! The hard shells are so great! We bought a Whaly 310 and had the opportunity to use it/get to know it all summer long. Love how durable it is. We live 5 min. from the Point Williams boat launch and spent many hours tooling around Dungeness bay with our 9.9. We will be upgrading to a 15 horse at some point but we already had the 9.9 so will use it for awhile.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!:dance:
Larry and Nancy

What Larry and Nancy said. ? I am planning the same with the Permanon.

Larry and Zanuck, When I spoke with Permanon, they suggested that coating with richer mix of Permanon is better than applying two coats. You may want to give them a call prior to application. I will be speaking with them in early December and will ask them again.

Hi everyone.

Welcome back. We’re getting very close. The ship will dock on Thursday and Scott plans to have the boat in the water Friday morning. We’ll be aboard Scott’s boat for the trip to Lake Union. Yours won’t be far behind.

We’re having Premier do the ceramic. Kevin works with a detailer we have used in La Conner and they will do it in his boathouse at the La Conner Marina. We had thought about doing it ourselves but we want to make sure the prep work gets done right.

We went with a Stressless for our salon chair. While we have been watching the ship make its way across the Pacific, we have been practicing our lounging skills in the Stressless.

Hang the kayaks.

Hi all thanks for the feedback on Ceramic. I was starting to figure out where and how.. Only if I had a nice big heated garage :)

I cant wait to get through the break in on the outboard, the bullfrog is a nice raise and I think this will turn into a jet ski once I get past the 20 hour break in schedule. I'll need the speed fix after going 7 knots all day :)

And as for the stressless, I think they named it that way, because it showed up 3 months ahead of schedule.

Next on the list is kayak storage.. on the 38.

Jeff (Hydrualicjump),

HI,
Do you have a picture of your Magma kayak rack and how you mounted it on your boat? We have two single and double Hobie kayaks that are a bit heavy. I don't think it's practical to take them all, and I was hoping for the double, and maybe the single. However, these are heavy kayaks.

Our hull 51 is getting solar panels so the yaks will need to be side mounted?

The double is 120 pounds. I’m not sure if we have to sell these and buy an inflatable double Hobie to store on board at 50 pounds – we do prefer to stick to Hobie since we prefer peddling over paddling. I'm not sure if the NicJackson crane will be in a position to help bring a kayak up to the side.

Thoughts, pics? I appreciate it.

Thanks, Tom
ps. like your boat name :)

dehumidifier

I saw some references to dehumidifiers. I don't like scrubbing mildew - not fun.

If your shopping for a small unit... here is what I am using and buying.

There was a reference that Scott suggested one, which I plan to buy for the "great room", solan which is a larger area. Just because Scott suggested it.

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-13-P...mzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb

This is the one we've used for both the seaport and camper. It's also a compact one that has worked along with a few Dri-Z-Airs just to double up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS7694G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both have a way to dump water overboard. I might test both side by side and see who pulls more water out. I will put mine in the master bath.

Tom

Humidifier and kayak racks

Headed for the long drive north tomorrow to see grandkids and to try out the dogs for the first time on Off Leash. We have an energetic youngster and a mellow oldster. Hoping nothing gets chewed by the youth and enthusiasm of the doodle/husky/whatever mix. She looks like a thoroughly disheveled Senator from Vermont so we named her Bernice. Fingers crossed. CBD infused dog treats at the ready.

We will also get to see how our dehumidifier worked in the cold and wet these past few weeks. We got the Ivation that Scott recommended. It is a very nice, compact and quiet unit at a great price. Easy to store, too. We hate boat funk smells and are hoping this helps. Will report if any issues.

I will take some pictures of the Magma kayak racks when up there. They work perfectly for us and, given the sturdy 1 1/4” railing, can handle whatever size kayak you throw at them. We made a small bridle for the kayaks out of cam straps. We hoist them onto the deck, detach and drop them into the racks. Zero drama, which is all you ever want in a boat.

To maximize space in the flybridge we mounted the racks on the outside. Just a heads up, however, since this adds about 1’ of additional beam on each side. No problem at the dock since they are so high up, but landing the boat on a narrow dock with pilings can be dicey since the pilings want to scrape the kayaks off.

When we were facing some low tolerance docking a few months ago I just put the kayaks side by side on top of the Takacat, threw a strap on them, and folded the Magma racks back against the railing. Took minutes to set them back in the racks when underway.

Jeff

Attachments

• Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
List, lists, and more lists

Owner Manual for the boat –
I read in pages back on a “checklist” referring to the Amyann “owners manual”.
I found it interesting in that, I have a long way to go to learn the 38E. So this is a great manual to start to read and think about applying it to our boat.
The link is here:
https://www.sanjuansailing.com/charter-detail/power/amyann/content/amyann_owners_notes.pdf

Operational startup checklist –
Doug, I saw you had referenced an aviation checklist, MiraCheck Co-Pilot. I would like to create a “startup” checklist simply because we get complacent and rush to get going. So it’s good to get a structure around each morning’s cruise. The Miracheck looks interesting and I can only guess what the line items mean in the advertisement. It sounds like it is only apple based for voice feedback. If you or I create checklists I assume we could share those and upload them on our devices?

While it might be slightly more than we need, it’s a very interesting application. Here is a Youtube vid on demoing it.
https://youtu.be/FdXYoQU4dbU

Log Book – Maintenance
Helmsman (Nate) and all,​

Looking for the best log book for record-keeping other than a written Journal.
Attending the Seattle boat shows a couple of years back a speaker offered a copy of a logbook that is excel based and date referenced. He still offers it today and encourages to use and modify to your own liking. The author manages a website showing his journeys around the world on his Nordhavn 52. MV Dirona
I like the spreadsheet in that it has conditional formatting to make you aware your past due to maintaining line items. This should be easy to modify for the 38 (less wing engine ?).
Take a look at this and in a few minutes, can you let us know if you have something interesting or better.
Here is the overview:
https://mvdirona.com/2018/11/updating-the-maintenance-log/

Here is the details of the workbook:
https://mvdirona.com/blog/content/binary/DironaMaintenanceScheduleWithOtherMachinery.xlsx

Let me know what ya think. Thanks, Tom

Owner Manual for the boat –
I read in pages back on a “checklist” referring to the Amyann “owners manual”.
I found it interesting in that, I have a long way to go to learn the 38E. So this is a great manual to start to read and think about applying it to our boat.
The link is here:
https://www.sanjuansailing.com/charter-detail/power/amyann/content/amyann_owners_notes.pdf

Operational startup checklist –
Doug, I saw you had referenced an aviation checklist, MiraCheck Co-Pilot. I would like to create a “startup” checklist simply because we get complacent and rush to get going. So it’s good to get a structure around each morning’s cruise. The Miracheck looks interesting and I can only guess what the line items mean in the advertisement. It sounds like it is only apple based for voice feedback. If you or I create checklists I assume we could share those and upload them on our devices?

Let me know what ya think. Thanks, Tom​

Tom,

I have already created a number of checklists using MiraCheck. I used information in the “Amy Ann” manual and a similar document for “Kiskadee”. As we get familiar with the boat and progress through our training, I will be updating them. The app is pretty intuitive and the checklists can be used on a mobile device or printed in several layout formats. They can be exported for sharing with other uses of the app. I would be happy to share any checklists we create. I'll try to upload a PDF sample to TF.

I have also been playing with the Logbook Suite app. It’s very comprehensive and can automatically log NMEA data with the addition of a WiFi multiplexer that will plug into the back of our chart plotter. I’m always forgetting to log engine hours and the app will do it for me.

https://logbooksuite.de/en/

Our approach to carrying kayaks will be a little different. We have two Hobie pedal kayaks that we will carry on the boat deck with ties to the rails to keep them in place. Our dinghy will be carried on swim step davits. We will use the hoist for the kayaks, my mountain bike and Patti’s recumbent trike.

We have most of our boat shopping done but I'm still trying to find a rail mounted burgee mast for the bow that will fit on a 1 1/4" rail. Has anyone found a good option?​

⚠️DISCLAIMER: I am a FarSounder "shill". That said, I am also an engineer excited to be working on this tech so I thought I would chime in here. If I'm not supposed to be here just DM me and I'll bow out of the forum. I realize I'm responding to quite an old comment - but just now learning about this forum. ⚠️

What they had claimed was 6' was actually 3'. The other time it was useful was a marina had moved their docks around. We showed an old concrete pile but now didn't know where it was. Found it and avoided it.

Wow, these are some interesting use cases to hear! I'm enjoying reading through this thread, thank you for sharing those.

The top forward scan is still Farsounder and they're used mainly commercially. Their top unit, the Argos 1000, has a range of over 1/2 nm at 25 knots.

The key is to recognize where and how they will work and in those situations you'll be very glad you have it.

Great summary - knowing how these system work, how to interpret the data, their limits, and how that relates to how you want to use them is essential.

I wanted to point out that FarSounder now has an Argos 350 unit - that is smaller and goes to a 350 meter range. Before launching this smaller unit, it was as you suggested: most of our customers were private super/mega yachts and commercial expeditionary vessels for our Argos 500 / 1000 models. That guided our development for sure, but now, accidentally launched at the start of the covid pandemic ��, we've been producing Argos 350s for more recreational vessels and some USV applications. It is still primarily a standalone system, and the system is typically bigger and more expensive than other FLS systems mentioned ITT, but with 3D field of view updated per ping, longer detection ranges, and now bathymetric data storage (re: anchorage use case).

I also want to add that for 3D detection range - so how far the systems are able to detect depth ahead of the vessel - Argos systems performance is an 8:1 water depth ratio. That is, Argos system detect to a range that is 8x the depth below the Transducer. However, other hazards are still detected to the full range of the model in 2D (so 350 meters with an Argos 350 for example) - they'll have range and bearing info, signal level info, but no depth information. That's just a distinction that I wanted to point out as it may be interesting to some in this thread. Not necessarily for the anchorage use case / mapping the bottom, but in the context of finding something like an old "misplaced" concrete pile for example :) - it could certainly be useful!

Last edited:
Here’s what we have for checklists, so far. It’s a work in progress and very preliminary. These are the hard copy output from the app. The user interface is very clean and simple. The audio prompts and replies may be useful.

View attachment 133558

Thanks for the checklist. I will add a few of these to mine.

<b>Log Book – Maintenance
Helmsman (Nate) and all,​
</b>

Looking for the best log book for record-keeping other than a written Journal.
Attending the Seattle boat shows a couple of years back a speaker offered a copy of a logbook that is excel based and date referenced. He still offers it today and encourages to use and modify to your own liking. The author manages a website showing his journeys around the world on his Nordhavn 52. MV Dirona
I like the spreadsheet in that it has conditional formatting to make you aware your past due to maintaining line items. This should be easy to modify for the 38 (less wing engine ?).
Take a look at this and in a few minutes, can you let us know if you have something interesting or better.
Here is the overview:
https://mvdirona.com/2018/11/updating-the-maintenance-log/

Here is the details of the workbook:
https://mvdirona.com/blog/content/binary/DironaMaintenanceScheduleWithOtherMachinery.xlsx
Let me know what ya think. Thanks, Tom

I am tentatively planning to use the M/V dirona spreadsheet for maintenance items. I started to modify it a couple of weeks and ran into a lack of spreadsheet skills for the mods I want, so may default to building one without tables.

I plan to use a written daily logbook. Maintenance will be recorded there first, and then monthly will be put in the spreadsheet. I will scan invoices into the excel maintenance worksheet, also. I am also thinking about Nebo, which will track your trips, hours and miles. It also will show you where other Nebo users are, if that is your thing. (I probably won't use that feature.) Here is a link to their website. https://nebo.global/

⚠️DISCLAIMER: I am a FarSounder "shill". That said, I am also an engineer excited to be working on this tech so I thought I would chime in here. If I'm not supposed to be here just DM me and I'll bow out of the forum. I realize I'm responding to quite an old comment - but just now learning about this forum. ⚠️

Wow, these are some interesting use cases to hear! I'm enjoying reading through this thread, thank you for sharing those.

Great summary - knowing how these system work, how to interpret the data, their limits, and how that relates to how you want to use them is essential.

I wanted to point out that FarSounder now has an Argos 350 unit - that is smaller and goes to a 350 meter range. Before launching this smaller unit, it was as you suggested: most of our customers were private super/mega yachts and commercial expeditionary vessels for our Argos 500 / 1000 models. That guided our development for sure, but now, accidentally launched at the start of the covid pandemic ��, we've been producing Argos 350s for more recreational vessels and some USV applications. It is still primarily a standalone system, and the system is typically bigger and more expensive than other FLS systems mentioned ITT, but with 3D field of view updated per ping, longer detection ranges, and now bathymetric data storage (re: anchorage use case).

I also want to add that for 3D detection range - so how far the systems are able to detect depth ahead of the vessel - Argos systems performance is an 8:1 water depth ratio. That is, Argos system detect to a range that is 8x the depth below the Transducer. However, other hazards are still detected to the full range of the model in 2D (so 350 meters with an Argos 350 for example) - they'll have range and bearing info, signal level info, but no depth information. That's just a distinction that I wanted to point out as it may be interesting to some in this thread. Not necessarily for the anchorage use case / mapping the bottom, but in the context of finding something like an old "misplaced" concrete pile for example :) - it could certainly be useful!

Interesting product and better protected that those which just “hang down”. What is the cost of the product? Is it connected via NMEA2000, 0183, or OneNet? Thank you.

Starlink attachement

I saw some discussion on placing a starlink antenna via scotty rod holder.. Any thoughts (aside from $$) about using a dome (Intellian) for the antenna, has anyone heard of this idea if it works? Feasible or not?

Attachments

• dome.jpg
    dome.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom