250' Tsunami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
A 250 foot tsunami? You bet.

Due to possible increases in commercial shipping traffic into my hometown of Kitimat, BC, a modern survey was recently done of the sea floor to accurately identify hazards. (There is a *doomed* proposal currently being reviewed for a supertanker oil port here.)

What they found instead were two submarine landslides, both over 30,000,000 cubic metres in size, and a 50 km fault line nobody knew anything about.

Here's the preliminary report;

https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/ll-eng/li...timat_Arm_-_A2X2V9.pdf?nodeid=844697&vernum=0

Here's the wave height modelling report;

https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/ll-eng/li..._A3D4F0.pdf?nodeid=888137&vernum=0&redirect=3

So, if you are up in Douglas Channel and you happen to notice the forested mountainsides shaking like crazy, hang on tight!

Murray

Last edited:
There was an 1,100' tsunami, as measured by felled treeline inlet in Alaska that occurred about 45 years or so ago due to seismic activity. You gotta love these studies, if allowed to go viral there would be no sea ports built anywhere. And no homes built on the Jersey shores!

The predicted Juan DeFuca plate "big one" takes out part of the Puget Sound, Victoria and Vancouver waterfronts. These types of hydro-geology and seismic studies, can be made to prove or disprove any point.

What a way to go though - think of the excitement. We're all going to die - the timing is the only matter in doubt. Personally I'd rather go out living than dying. Right now my father is dead but his body won't quit - that's no way to finish up a life. I'd rather get shot by a jealous husband but going down in a storm wouldn't be all bad either.

I've surfed a fully loaded double kayak before...it's fun until you start going faster than the wave and you broach to one side or the other, then you have to stick a high brace paddle into the face of the wave, lean into it, and hang on until it's all over.

With a trawler, I guess it would be the First Mates job to climb the radar mast, fire a high brace into the face of the wave with a dinghy paddle, and enjoy the ride for as long as you can. Probably trip on the keel though, then it's endo's, summersaults, airborne figure eights, double daffy's and pirouettes for as long as it holds together.

Might have to put that on my bucket list.

Yeah, I've also thought of going out in a big tsunami. Here on Key Biscayne (Miami), we'd be goners for sure. If I knew one was coming, I'd probably just head on out to sea. Unless one was able to clear the continental shelf, chances are likely that the compressed air flow in front of such a giant wave would wipe you out before you actually got there, but what the hey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom