Old 10-26-2022, 08:04 PM   #1030
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
It's a shame that you bought the wrong anchor for such a fine boat! Just kidding. The Vulcan is a great choice in my opinion. I bought an Ultra a couple years ago and love it. I saw West Marine recently posting a sale on all Rocna anchors at 40% off. That doesn't necessarilly mean a great deal, but occasionally West marine can be competitive when they run some good sales. Good luck regardless!
I am impressed with what I see about the Ultra. I had pretty much settled on getting one. But the Vulcan had two advantages. 1) from memory its 25% of the cost of the Vulcan, and 2) one can massage the test stats to say the Vulcan has a slight edge in performance. I would not hang my hat on the performance advantage since they both seem to do very well in the kinds of bottom I expect to mostly see. The Ultra, being stainless, is darned pretty. It has that going for it. At the price, though, I could not quite swallow it. For a while I was concerned the Vulcan would not fit the Helmsman roller, but I was shown an example on a Helmsman where it can and does. Problem solved, and money saved.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote