Uship.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robvald

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lucky Star
Vessel Make
Ho Hsing
Has anyone used Uship.com to transport a vessel. Looking to transport a 28 ft Vhull from Tampa FL to SF CA.

We used U-Ship in 2014 for a 27' boat shipment from NY to WA.

This is not necessarily the fault of U-Ship, but my drive was saving money. The first guy flaked and cancelled the job. The second guy was a train wreck. In the end, the shipper from U-Ship went out of communication multiple times, had breakdowns that delayed him (truck was junk), and the boat was not adequately looked after and was damaged.

I should have spent more for a reputable shipper (endorsed by the forums) and there would have been no issues.

Best Wishes

Ive used Uship twice. both with good success. Reviews are everything, as well as communication skills. Make sure the bidder has the vehicle necessary to make the haul. Try to find someone that isn't going very far out of their way.

The lowest bid may not be the one you want.

With a 28 foot "V" hull I would put it on a trailer and tow it myself. No question!

pete

I tried to use Uship a couple times - once for a conversion van, once for my Willard 36, and another time for furniture. I mostly received responses from brokers who then posted to a different board for truckers. The initial rates were not honored and it ended up being a waste of time.

I forget the name of the program, but there's a reality TV show based on independent haulers who bid on loads. Some seem fairly well equipped. Others are shoestring.

My takeaway is Uship is not the place to look for a trucker. Maybe it works better for you.

Peter

Have a request on there now, zero responses. I am wondering if they are having the same issues everyone else is having. Of course I have asked for a hydrolic trailer....

But have used multiple times, one was terrible so document the boat very well prior to the trip, and make sure to take extra time inspecting the boat when you get it.

I used U-ship once, about ten years ago. Worrked out very well for me. I brought a Grady White up to New Jersey from Florida. Othere people have had a negative experience.

The boat I have now, a 28 foot cruiser, was brought in from Rhode Island. Had local references, but that guy was a real problem. Had to get somebody else.

As mentioned I think communicating with the hauler is critical.

-martin610

Used UShip once, for a generator. At the last minute, there was a $250 upcharge because the pickup was from a marina. "Marinas are small, difficult, and time consuming for semis". The fact that it was Fairhaven Shipyard (which has a 200 ton Travelift, hauls 100' boats and gets 53' semis delivering all the time) was not relevant. I didn't like it, but needed to get it done, so I paid.

Jim

With a 28 foot "V" hull I would put it on a trailer and tow it myself. No question!

pete

I agree with Pete whole heartedly. As the saying goes "if you want something done right...." Besides, no one takes care of your stuff better than you.
Just my two cents.

Is the boat on it’s own trailer or do you need a trailer?

I would highly recommend not using Uship I have been a yacht broker for over 30 years now and a client of mine against my advice used Uship and had nothing but problems. He ended up in a lawsuit and it did not go well - at one point one of the haulers was trying hold his vessel hostage and renegotiate their agreed transportation cost.

Any good experience with boat shippers out there? I need to ship my Mainship 30 from San Francisco to Maine.
And since i am planning to do it in May, I should probably winterize the boat since it is going over the Rockies.
And probably have it covered with the white plastic as well?

Sarah there are several reputable shippers I could recommend with that lead-time and that size of vessel. message me and I will be happy assist you.

Any good experience with boat shippers out there? I need to ship my Mainship 30 from San Francisco to Maine.
And since i am planning to do it in May, I should probably winterize the boat since it is going over the Rockies.
And probably have it covered with the white plastic as well?

Good thing about that trip is it is a backhaul. More boats coming west than going east. I've used Jim Wise trucking for two east -> west trips now and been happy. He is an independent, one guy one truck. However you do it, it is going to be expensive.

The usual thinking on covering with plastic is it is unlikely to survive the trip, and as it comes off it does more damage than no plastic. When I shipped my unfinished sailboat hull east, we did cover it with shrink, and it did survive, to the surprise of the trucker. That was a bare hull and deck so it shrank up pretty tight. Going east to west, sailboat (now finished) and trawler, no shrink and no damage. Dirty though - I'd recommend a heavy coat of wax on the forward facing surfaces, lay it on and don't buff it off until you get there. An intermediate method is to use some 3M sticky back films made for this sort of thing.

thanks for the info. I know it is going to be expensive. someone said 15K. I am still wondering whether to just sell the boat here on the west coast and buy another boat back in Maine.
the problem i know is that my boat is in perfect condition with a new Yanmar installed by the prev owner 200 hr ago and whenever i buy a used boat, it seems like there is always a break-in (break down) period of about a year. decisions decisions

Do you have a truck? For that kind of money you could buy a trailer and tow it yourself. You would likely need permits but if it doesn’t have a flybridge you wouldn’t be over height and that is the killer. Over wide isn’t so bad.

For reference, my AT34 came west for $19,100 in 2018 when diesel was $3. My sailboat came west in 2014 for $15,000, but was lower on the trailer. My sailboat hull (even lower on the trailer) went east (a back haul) in 2005 for $8000.

Also for reference, when the sailboat came west in 2014, I had Dockwise quote putting it on a ship and going around (Miami - Victoria via the Panama). The quote was $43,500. I opted for the truck.

My experience with UShip in 2021 was negative. After paying a $1000 deposit in June I waited for months with no pickup, no communication, and no refund.

Investigate their reviews, you’ll discover a lot of folks with the same negative experience.

Ultimately, I shipped my Willard 30 from Pittsburg Ca to Bremerton Wa through a broker I found in a boat transport group on Facebook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom