Extreme Weather Event in SouthEast Queensland, Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw this explanation for the engine failure:
"Mr Holliday says the original fault to the vessel came from the a "problem from the Turbo blower which helps cool the engine", but crews had to keep using the engine in rough seas on Monday, causing more damage to it."
We`ve had threads recently regarding inadequate ER ventilation,seems it should be taken seriously if losing the blower can disable engine and ship.

It`s secured, towed into Botany Bay.
https://www.aap.com.au/news/nsw-ship-saga-continues-as-weather-
eases/
31178e4a8aa87126e776656e3147cd83

99c9b489-4e66-4f53-816d-b56440fa5157.jpg

Last edited:
40 days and 40 nights. I am sure I read that somewhere. History repeats itself?

This too will pass, stay dry and safe.

And here we are again
The last 24 hours we have had gusting around 40 at our location
The things we put up with to get an anchorage to ourselves leading up to the weekend. (-;

Attachments

• 066dcdc2bdff9edd9573868124f94249.0.jpg
    066dcdc2bdff9edd9573868124f94249.0.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Pales into insignificance compared to "Ian", but Sydney just set a new record for the most rainfall in a calendar year since recording began in the 1800s. And it`s only October!
Dams and rivers are full, ground is saturated leading to immediate runoff. Rain is forecast for much of eastern Australia this weekend. I still haven`t been able to get roof repairs done since the Feb/March deluge, roofers are so busy, and of course they won`t work on a wet roof.
Ah well, that`s nature for us. Funny when I recall Tim Flannery, purported climate expert, saying in 2009, the dams would never fill again.

well this is interesting. We have today extended water use restriction due to the drought. Longest summer without rain (to speak of). Are we going to rename the wet coast?

This thread started in February. Have you had any good weather spells? Dry out and repeat, or is it one long drawn out wet spell.

Had a few days of nice weather
Don't ask me when but I remember not running the Genset for a few days there so there must have been some sun.

Blowing it's tits off and pissing down rain today.
East coast low pumping in 45knots at the weather station not far from us.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-23-11-33-52-742_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-23-11-33-52-742_1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here in Qld we are also starting to cop it. Here on Bribie, we've had 140mm since Wednesday night. Getting a bit sick of it, but really, compared to other places we are so lucky.

Raining in Sydney,heavy at times. The ground is saturated, so immediate runoff. Same everywhere else, the ground cannot absorb the rain, it runs off and it floods.

We`re blaming New Zealand! A high is stalled over NZ blocking our low moving away eastward. Another rain system low is approaching from the west.
We came into the marina threading our way between boats on swing moorings. One of the neighbors pointed out our track took us over a large log/tree brought downriver by flooding. We were unaware, no warning notice at the marina, no float over the hazard. The debris brought down makes people reluctant to use their boats for fear of running gear and hull damage.
We`re lucky. Our home is not getting flooded, we`re not farmers losing crops and livestock, we`re not a store losing its merchandise, or even its business. Fortunately there are reports 2 problem regions, Lismore and Echuca,may fare better than predicted. Let`s hope so.

The pictures can do the talking:

Bruce, is this a case of waiting to long and not managing the level in advance with slower release?

There seems no let up to the rainfall all over this vast country Bruce, most states have been effected so far, NSW and VIC the worst though.

We are grateful for personnel coming from NZ,Singapore and USA to relieve our exhausted State Emergency Service people.
The water is like the lump in a snake from an oversized meal, gradually moving down the snake(river) affecting area after area it passes. Unfortunately this snake/river keeps getting fed more water. Dissipation isn`t expected until early next year.
It`s not a tardy failure to release from dams earlier. It`s just too much water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom