Want to buy a Willard 40. What should I be looking out for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi!
I have a pending offer on my sailboat and am going to be making the transition to a trawler (I’m still a young 50y/o but physically can’t do it anymore). The Willard seems to check most of the boxes. Looking for a vessel that will do the loop and get me to the Bahamas as well as across the gulf.

Like most boats there are inherent issues I assume. What should a surveyor and a prospective owner be looking for? Wet keels? Deck rot? Window seals?

Also wondering if there are any special challenges when repowering these. There’s a 40 for sale but has almost 10k on the clock. Thinking it’s close to that time and I’ve sort of always wanted to do a Beta Marine repower if ever fell in love with the right boat. Would love a Nordhavn or Great Harbour But

check that the ballas is sealed. It is concrete and old steel. Be sure to check the lazaret for for leaks. My was real bad and the surveyor didn't pick it up and had to have the rear bulk head replaced. make sure fuel tanks are inspected

What engine is in the Willard? There are plenty of engines that 10k hours are not even broken in yet, others are at the end of their life cycles? Don’t know about beta marine but I would think a jd4045 is about the perfect engine for the boat. I’ve got a pair of jd6068 generators on the boat at work that have just stroked off 63,000 hours without the heads ever coming off, they run for a week straight and use exactly one gallon of oil in a week. don’t be making any assumptions based off of hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom