Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anybody planning to add or have added a compass to your Helmsman? I don’t think the boat comes with one, and I can’t remember a picture with one installed.
If so, where would you install? I looked for a Telltale Compass (upside down) but couldn’t find anyone who makes them anymore. One could install an upside down compass above the pilot station if wire runs/instruments are clear of the area.

I will be adding one. It’s important to me. Basic.

I’m thinking there is sufficient space forward of the hatch to the stateroom big enough for a binnacle mounted model.

But it’s also just another one of those things I figure I just have to wait and see what works best, when I have my own boat to measure.

I have seen them mounted on the dash. That would not be my first choice on a cramped dash.

Never heard of a new boat like this not having a compass as standard. I would have just assumed it was. Anyone else think that's odd? Maybe it's just me.

Fletcher / Helmsman / Doug

Thanks for the heads up on the Amy Ann checklist doc. It was news to me. I found and downloaded that, and indeed its pretty good and at the very least a good start to build my own.

Much appreciated.

I am happy to share anything I have including my personal user manual (work in progress) and my pre departure checklist. Send me a PM with your email.

Exciting to see all of these new Helmsman’s coming on line.

IMO not a bad thing. A good thing. Helmsman is very up front about how everything is owner spec. It’s a key feature. I like that.

Just look at debates here on charts vs MFD. There is a sizable group who say no charts. Therefore I suppose no compass needed.

Of all the things I’ll do, adding a compass will be the cheapest and easiest thing.

Fletcher: BIG THANKS. I’ll send you something later when on my desktop.

I am happy to share anything I have including my personal user manual (work in progress) and my pre departure checklist. Send me a PM with your email.

Exciting to see all of these new Helmsman’s coming on line.

Thank you. I sent you a PM to ask for a copy of the pre departure checklist. I would also like to see the personal user manual if you would add that when you send it over. I certainly appreciate the help!

Never heard of a new boat like this not having a compass as standard. I would have just assumed it was. Anyone else think that's odd? Maybe it's just me.

Not odd at all. The boat comes without navigation equipment. It is a pretty personal choice as to what you want for navigation and why. It is a very low cost add if you happen to want one.

Most boats come without navigation electronics and I realize it's a minor cost to add a compass, but still was a surprise to me. Not a big deal and maybe that is the future of all boats, but still feels odd, but maybe that's just me.

Most boats come without navigation electronics and I realize it's a minor cost to add a compass, but still was a surprise to me. Not a big deal and maybe that is the future of all boats, but still feels odd, but maybe that's just me.

What you say makes sense. I didn’t realize there wasn’t one until Helmsman43 on this site mentioned there wasn’t one. So, my original assumption was that there was one onboard.

You could perhaps put one at the lower helm in front of the wheel on the flatter area there. But, you also have a lot of electrical components close by there, so not sure there wouldn’t be interference. My preference would be up above in front of the window, though that would need to be a Telltale (upside down) compass which evidently are very hard to find.

Hard to find a line of sight spot on the lower helm which may be why there isn’t one. If you place on the flat area, that eliminates the possibility of placing the Cummins engine display there, which is where I want that piece. Trade offs, trade offs….

Last edited:
An offline conversation suggested binoculars which provide bearings. That to me is probably the best choice. This is one of those decisions that are impacted by progress. Even if the electronics went down on an offshore passage, most folks carry a tablet or phone with GPS and charts that could be a get home option. I really wasn’t considering how many different choices which automation supplies. So, I am now good with not having one. I suspect most Helmsman owners would agree with that.

An offline conversation suggested binoculars which provide bearings. That to me is probably the best choice. This is one of those decisions that are impacted by progress. Even if the electronics went down on an offshore passage, most folks carry a tablet or phone with GPS and charts that could be a get home option. I really wasn’t considering how many different choices which automation supplies. So, I am now good with not having one. I suspect most Helmsman owners would agree with that.

Since you asked. I'd feel naked without one! Yeah, I'm old school that way.

In coastal cruising one is rarely out of sight of land and landmarks to steer by. In my old sailboats I never had a compass right in my nose, and don't need that on my H38. From a practical standpoint you are setting a compass course (if ignoring the MFD) and then sailing to a point on the horizon. A landmark selected by compass heading. Then just glancing at the compass from time to time to verify the landmark is still valid, and alter as needed. You don't sail with your eyes constantly on the compass.

IF the H38 had a wider instrument panel I daresay you would not object to looking more left and right. So a position just left of the panel seems like it would be a reasonable spot. And certainly easier to do that than picking up binoculars.

My two cents. Everyone has their own comfortable process.

I'm just hoping the spot forward of the stateroom hatch works as I think it will.

Since you asked. I'd feel naked without one! Yeah, I'm old school that way.

In coastal cruising one is rarely out of sight of land and landmarks to steer by. In my old sailboats I never had a compass right in my nose, and don't need that on my H38. From a practical standpoint you are setting a compass course (if ignoring the MFD) and then sailing to a point on the horizon. A landmark selected by compass heading. Then just glancing at the compass from time to time to verify the landmark is still valid, and alter as needed. You don't sail with your eyes constantly on the compass.

IF the H38 had a wider instrument panel I daresay you would not object to looking more left and right. So a position just left of the panel seems like it would be a reasonable spot. And certainly easier to do that than picking up binoculars.

My two cents. Everyone has their own comfortable process.

I'm just hoping the spot forward of the stateroom hatch works as I think it will.

I think that spot will work, if wide enough. It is certainly a personal preference. I had one on the boats I have owned, even a 19 foot run about. But, when I really thought through it the past couple of days, I don’t think that I actually ever used them. Ever.
I have used an IPad, and more recently a Sail Proof tablet. And, I have used binoculars for shore and boat identification, and looking at wildlife, etc.
The idea behind the binoculars fit with a compass, and perhaps a range finder as an add on, is that you could confirm your heading, but binoculars would also be useful with AIS if you have another boat headed your way out of normal visual sight, as suggested in an off line discussion. The additional utility of binoculars is what sways me, and that means one less “hole in the boat”.

Very good discussion started by the compass question. My essentials are binoculars, compass, AIS, MFD and radar when underway. Backups include Garmin 86sci and Navionics on iPhone. Sounds like a lot, but rely on them in open water, busy waterways, and especially on foggy mornings.

Adding to this. To each his own comfort level. Growing up on charts, compass, dead reckoning, smell, sound, etc. as a sailor, and then as a geologist living off of a Brunton compass and crummy topo maps, I was surprised at how easy it was to adopt modern technology when GPS came along, and then the miracle of collision avoidance, AIS. Add to that radar and my iPad with GPS and Aquamaps that is as good as my fancy Garmin system and....no compass needed. Still have my head on a swivel as my father taught me and the well known sailing trick of estimating whether you are on a collision course with another boat or are going to have to tack before you get to the mark. To each his own. I am thrilled and comforted by modern technology. Although I still have my Brunton compass.

Adding to this. To each his own comfort level. Growing up on charts, compass, dead reckoning, smell, sound, etc. as a sailor, and then as a geologist living off of a Brunton compass and crummy topo maps, I was surprised at how easy it was to adopt modern technology when GPS came along, and then the miracle of collision avoidance, AIS. Add to that radar and my iPad with GPS and Aquamaps that is as good as my fancy Garmin system and....no compass needed. Still have my head on a swivel as my father taught me and the well known sailing trick of estimating whether you are on a collision course with another boat or are going to have to tack before you get to the mark. To each his own. I am thrilled and comforted by modern technology. Although I still have my Brunton compass.

My introduction to navigation was as a Naval Flight Officer on Navy patrol planes. Most of our flights were over the open ocean far from land. Our navigation resources included LORAN-A, celestial navigation, dead reckoning and a primitive inertial navigation system that nobody trusted. Knowing where we were within a mile was considered pretty damn good. Often a three star celestial fix was the gold standard for locational precision.

I embraced the new technology just because it was so much more accurate and easy to use. We’re taking a major step up with the electronics on our new boat but I realize that a systems failure or a global conflict could put me back in the early 1970s. A reliable magnetic compass would be the bare minimum to at least get the boat headed in the right direction. While I’m learning the new Garmin systems, I think I’ll brush up on some my old school skills. At least you can’t get nearly as lost at 7 knots as you can at 340 knots.

Crimmeny, Doug. Loved the reply. Yes, at 7 knots you do have some time to respond. What incredible changes in technology in just our lifetimes! Astonishing, really, and it made cruising and navigating so much easier for so many that would never know the joy of messing around in a boat.

Keeping the Brunton compass. Hopefully for nothing more than a good luck charm.

I bought a Brunton compass today. One less “hole in the boat”.

Looks like it will be useful for other activities, also. Thanks for the recommendation, hydraulic!

Forgot to add that I have several spiral bound chart compilations for course planning, especially for surveying locations or anchorages I haven't been to before. Will have these on the 46. Currently discussing the design of the pilothouse console with Van at Helmsman.

Compass

What we are going to do is mount a compass at the fly bridge controls here:

Attachments

• Compass_Spot.jpg
    Compass_Spot.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 9
Forgot to add that I have several spiral bound chart compilations for course planning, especially for surveying locations or anchorages I haven't been to before. Will have these on the 46. Currently discussing the design of the pilothouse console with Van at Helmsman.

Does the 46 have a center console?

Does the 46 have a center console?

Yes, both in the pilothouse and on the flybridge.

Last edited:
New subject! How many of you are having a custom mattress made for your 38E? Are you going to use standard queen sheets or are you having contoured sheets made along with a custom mattress pad? Was thinking about getting a memory foam topper, cutting it to fit myself and then putting a queen mattress pad over the top. Had custom done on my last boat and wasn’t real happy with the quality of the product compared to the cost. You thoughts and ideas please! Thanks!

New subject! How many of you are having a custom mattress made for your 38E? Are you going to use standard queen sheets or are you having contoured sheets made along with a custom mattress pad? Was thinking about getting a memory foam topper, cutting it to fit myself and then putting a queen mattress pad over the top. Had custom done on my last boat and wasn’t real happy with the quality of the product compared to the cost. You thoughts and ideas please! Thanks!

We will get a topper. Do not plan to get a new mattress. We are going to use standard sheets and spread. We tuck those, so no need for custom.

I’d talked with Scott and Roger about upgrading the mattress and they recommended trying what it comes with first. They said the new beds were pretty good. We’ll still at least do a topper as we both like our bed squishy…

Good evening, you all. We just arrived at Off Leash in Elliott Bay after a month away from the boat. Fortunately, everything is in great shape and works, which is important for the thermally challenged (my spouse). We will head up to Poulsbo tomorrow to get a paella fix.

I think Scott has the right idea. Try sleeping on the mattress first. It is very firm, which I like while others will not, but you can always add a 2-3” memory foam topper after you sleep on it. We did that on our Ranger Tugs (both) and added the memory foam and were very pleased.

BTW: many of you have an old electric turkey carving knife lying around. It works very well for shaping the memory foam to the exact contours of whatever bed you have. And queen size is the baseline for sheets and blankets, but memory foam will need adjustment.

Two cents!

Thanks everyone for your mattress ideas. Think we’ll try what you all have suggested!

The boat will be delivered to Miami or possibly New Orleans. The booking is confirmed to leave Asia on October 30th. We will then bring it up to the Tennessee River to finish outfitting. Then we will head back out from there.

Just an update. It looks like our 38E will be offloaded in Miami around the 10th of December. We tried for a Gulf delivery, but just weren't able to get that worked out for our boat at this time. Now, if we can just lock down what we need to have ready for the trip....:)

Back
Top Bottom