Pay Back Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RT it took me a few minutes to type it. I got some Carpal Tunnel in the one finger I have been using so I switched fingers and immediately decided that wasn't a good idea as the same thing would happen to that finger as well so now I use a pencil. I peck w the eraser end. It's a day for confessions. I have a finger dexterity problem or I'd use 10 fingers but I may try again soon.

So what's the idea here, Eric? You hoping this thread will creep around to something you're actually interested in?:)

Here, I'll help you out. Boats with buttock lines that run halfway up the bi-quadra line don't do very well in a following sea if the waves are the square of the quarter-line multiplied by the wave frequency. If the waves are equal or above this three-dimentional measurement then a hull with a splayed chine on the forward portion of the hull that eases into a quadratron chine faired into the yahoodie between the transom and the maximum transverse brindle brace is required.

However this can only be achieved with a fiberglass hull because the required trim-set measurement relative to the brindle brace can only be achieved with this material. If aluminum is selected as the build material then a novella chine must be substituted for the splayed chine and the yahoodie moved much farther forward. Also, in order to make the aluminum hull more forgiving in a following sea, the after portion of the hull must conform to the bi-angled freeboard curve which is determined by multiplying the calculated draft of the hull times the square root of the straight-line distance between the yahoodie and the transverse brindle brace.

I believe you will find that this conforms to the current thinking regarding the relationship between hull efficiency and the curve angle of the novella chine.

Last edited:
Pet peeve? No

It is actually a violation of our community rules to do so. The link can be found at the bottom of any page http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules
under the subject line of posting standards...

Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately. Excessive use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc) is not permitted. Posts with violations may be edited or deleted without notification.

Dayum , I forgot there be a reason I should go back to just lurking. I got me no edjumication . Oh well. Sorry guys :facepalm:

Dayum , I forgot there be a reason I should go back to just lurking. I got me no edjumication . Oh well. Sorry guys :facepalm:

You don't have go gradiate to be on TF. Hang with us.:D Besides you can BS like the rest of us without having it on a diploma.

Last edited:
RTF--- A yahoodie is the one term I used that is actually real. But not in boats. It is the name of a section of the wing on almost every jet transport ever made.

Jennifer hit the nail on the head, re coined name Topic Creep! TC is what got technology to the point it currently stands and TC is a GOOD Thang - IMHO :popcorn: :socool: :whistling:
Math, physics, space exploration and other things as well as many inventions reached their pinicals due to Topic Creep! Think where we'd be without TC... which keeps us all thinking!! Well, most of us that is. - LOL :rofl:

Art :D

ernie.gif

Because rting on the tny keys of a BBerry or any other c phone is pain in the ass so the fewer letrs u have to pick out the betr things r.
If it's too much trouble for you to type it, why should I go to the trouble to try and figure out what you're trying to say?

or

if its 2 much trouble for u to type it y should i go 2 the trouble 2 try and figure out what u r trying to say

:rolleyes:

This place is better than Comedy Central TV.....:D:D:D

If it's too much trouble for you to type it, why should I go to the trouble to try and figure out what you're trying to say?

or

if its 2 much trouble for u to type it y should i go 2 the trouble 2 try and figure out what u r trying to say

:rolleyes:

I don't give a rip in hell if you read my stuff or not or if you can figure out what I say if you try to. Read what you want, ignore what you want. A poster can write whatever he pleases in whatever form he pleases. What are you, the spelling police?

I don't give a rip in hell if you read my stuff or not or if you can figure out what I say if you try to. Read what you want, ignore what you want. A poster can write whatever he pleases in whatever form he pleases. What are you, the spelling police?
What's the point in posting something if people can't understand it?

They teach that stuff in school for a reason.

I always understand it...not too difficult...there's the web to explain it if I don't understand something and care to decipher one or two abbreviations I don't know right off the bat.

For those that don't like so much here in TF...for the life of me I don't understand why they stay and complain so much.:rolleyes:

After having kids...I thought the little boy tantrums were over in my life...:D

I don't support it. It bleeds over into every day life.
I personally think it makes a person sound illiterate or just plain lazy.

The written word is becoming a lost thing in many ways.

At least let it die with dignity not hacked to pieces by lazy incompetent bums.

SD

I don't support it. It bleeds over into every day life.
I personally think it makes a person sound illiterate or just plain lazy.

SD

Are the lazy incompetent bums those who write that way or the ones who don't keep up with the times?

There's a big difference between writing novels and professional writing compared to texts, emails and forum jabber...heck some posters aren't worth listening to no matter HOW they write their input.....:D

(you are in the keeper bunch no matter what your pet peeves are...:thumb:)

Last edited:
It's a non issue in unofficial text messages or Facebook, etc. Not a big deal for that audience, but it shouldn't creep into business and professional writing.

We had an job application a few months back where the author took verbal short cuts and made grammatical errors in his application ("there" instead of they're, "steel" instead of steal, and used "OK" several times, etc.). His interview wasn't much better. I counted four times he used the non word "Irregardless" in a one hour interview.

When it's important, you need to write and speak professionally and to the level of your audience.

LB

Me Tinks it All B OK (except in business and professional text)... So lng as wd abbrevs r kept in contxt to msg gven and gen smrts r all that's needed to undstand apprevs in said msg. ;)

However, the moderators and big leaguers to this forum seem to avidly disagree with what I say above; as they clearly do in requested/demanded grammar portion of TF use-profile. :eek:

Personally I will continue pretty much with full words and relatively correct grammar/punctuation (I try to spell correctly too) - Now, that shows my age! Works well for me though. :rofl:

If a post is too skewed (in any way, shape, or form) I simply pass it by/bye!! :lol:

I enjoy Trawler Forum! :thumb:

Art :dance:

Last edited:
Wow!
The BS is getting so deep that we need no tide table!

I like what has been said though. But if I ran aground on the amount of BS in this forum then I'd need a haul out sooner than later.

Said with bilge in mouth as usual so don't take contempt.

Woody

Marin wrote;

"So what's the idea here, Eric? You hoping this thread will creep around to something you're actually interested in?"

Yup .... TC can be a good thing. But it's kinda creepy.

Lots of threads here could use some TC

Actually I'll bet if we went back over many threads we may find that's a very common way the content on this forum is as interesting as it is. Look at this thread. Started out about someone gett'in waked and basically venting a bit about it so this thread has benefitted from TC. If your'e talking about some thing that's not very interesting it's prolly only natural to drift on to something better. I just wish the thread titles/names would become more informative. What's "Pay Back Time" tell you about what this thread was initially about much less what it's about now. Gives no clue to either end.

What got me going on this is.
I hire a lot of high school kids.
I happened to notice one of the papers written as home work. There was a lot of this kind of stuff in the paper.
When I asked about it the person said. "The teacher never reads the work anyway and it is the way all the kids do it. "

I found that a sad thing.

SD

SD

A big part of my job is writing. I write scripts for videos that are shown to our executives, our board of directors, the CEOs and other executives of airlines, our engineers, and so on.

In my spare time, what little I have these days, I write books. So far I've had four published, seven if you count revised editions.

When I write for these audiences, I don't use "u" and "r" and all that.

But for casual writing on totally inconsequential media like Internet forums, I think keyboard shorthand is fine, particularly if one is using something that's challenging to write with fast, like a smart phone keypad.

But SD, I have some good news for you. I and my crew have international Blackberries issued by the company. So we are reachable at all times no matter where we are. As a result we spend a fair amount of time each day communicating with people in Seattle and the rest of the company. My videographer on this trip has a couple of kids-- one a sophomore in college and one a freshman in high school. According to them, "phone-speak" or whatever you want to call it, is falling out of favor. According to his kids, using it is no longer considered cool by the younger generations. It's becoming the mark of a dummy.

I haven't reached the point of using "u" and "r" and the rest of the phone-speak shorthand vocabulary when typing on the Blackberry or this iPad; I prefer to write out the words properly even though it takes a lot more time. But I can certainly appreciate the value in not having to type every letter but still have the meaning come through.

For things like Facebook, Twitter, and Internet forums, I think it's fine if a person wants to use it. I've never had any problem getting the meaning immediately and I don't find the use of phone-speak in this context at all annoying.

Last edited:
Woody,
Bilge in mouth.

That just cracked me up.

Thanks I needed that.

Marin and all. Sorry about that Topic creep. I had never seen the phone speak as Marin put it on this forum before. Just got me going a little.

SD

Last edited:
According to them, "phone-speak" or whatever you want to call it, is falling out of favor. According to his kids, using it is no longer considered cool by the younger generations. It's becoming the mark of a dummy.

Give them a hand.:Thanx:

Well over half of my effort at work was writing. My readers included supervisors, peer reviewers, auditees, action officials, and the general public.

There are many principles of good writing: make it easy for the reader to understand your message, avoid errors as they reduce one's believability, and so on.

Writing "in code" and using long, unbroken paragraphs are just two writing practices that make me not want to read someone's message.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom