2001 Mainship 390 packing material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WMinder

Vessel Name
Rambling Rosie
Vessel Make
2001 Mainship 390
Does anyone know the correct packing material size for a 1.75" shaft on a 2001 Mainship 390?

any input on manufacturers would be appreciated.

Thank You!

You can back the nut off and see what size drill bit fits in the gap between the shaft and the shaft log.

Thank you. When I back up that nut with the boat start to fill with water?

Thank you. When I back up that nut with the boat start to fill with water?

Yes, but much slower than you would expect. The existing packing will stay wedged in and slow the flow and because it is only about 2' below the water line, it isn't under much pressure (under 1 psi). Have an old large rag or small towel to wrap around it if you need to take a break or go retrieve a tool and you will be less stressed.

Once you realize how manageable the flow is and relax, go ahead and remove all of the old packing and start fresh ..

Yup, that is correct. You will get some dripping but not a gusher. Lots of people replace packing in the water just be efficient and have everything ready to go. Have the packing cut to length. I have a short section of PVC pipe that I cut into 2 pieces length wise to push the new packing into the log. Get a piece that has the same ID as the shaft. You may need a packing removal tool, looks like a corkscrew. I like Duramax packing but that is personal preference. On our last boat that was what the yard put in and it was adjusted to no drips. They have a breakin period and you adjust it after the packing is broken in. Good luck!

All good suggestions above. For packing use Gore GFO: packing. Once it is bedded in, you will never have to replace it again. Also can function with little or no drips.

David

Thanks guys for all your input, I feel a lot more comfortable taking the measurement.

Your 2001 390 isn't dripless??

Back
Top Bottom