convert single stateroom Nordic Tug 37?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foster Nordic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lesser Light
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32
Hi all;

I'm looking at purchasing a NT37 which is in stellar condition. My biggest reservation is that is was built as a single-stateroom model so has a narrow port side for washer/dryer and an additional freezer instead of the "normal" second stateroom.

This portside is about 36 inches wide and I'm wondering if it might be converted into a usable single bunk for a friend.. 74 inches in length by about 35 inches wide.. See photos attached.

Any thoughts or experience out there?
Don

Attachments

• IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 47
We have the 42. So far the second stateroom is used mostly for storage. But it’s there should the need arise and is a nice bunk. The washer/dryer is there as well. Because the admiral wants me in visual range when she’s on watch have slept in the salon several times. It’s not bad at all. Just wonder if you friend is only on the boat occasionally whether going through th expense and inconvenience of redoing that space is worth it. Rather wouldn’t a comfy berth on the salon couches adequate.

We have the 42. So far the second stateroom is used mostly for storage. But it’s there should the need arise and is a nice bunk. The washer/dryer is there as well. Because the admiral wants me in visual range when she’s on watch have slept in the salon several times. It’s not bad at all. Just wonder if you friend is only on the boat occasionally whether going through th expense and inconvenience of redoing that space is worth it. Rather wouldn’t a comfy berth on the salon couches adequate.

I was going to suggest that but I am unfamiliar with the layout in the salon so I wasn’t sure if it was reasonable or not.

I mean TWO friends

Ideally I'd like to be able to bring 2 separate friends (all male - no couples) for trips up the inside passage. One could certainly be in the salon, but I'd really like another bunk for a second friend to also join for a week or so..

thanks for you comments.
Don

There has been discussion about two guys that aren’t able to share a bed, look at a bundle board…

What’s on the starboard side? An extra-wide head?

If you do convert it to a second stateroom and it isn’t done professionally then you may kill the resale value of the boat.

I think that was a pretty popular model. The time, effort and expense to do the conversion would be better spent in expanding your search for a boat with the layout you want.

have a realistic look at how often you'll have a friend aboard. from my experience and watching many friends over 40 years - few people will accompany you on cruises or even daysails. surely you can rig up a comfortable berth on the saloon settee for the times there's another person on board, if you worry about your guest's comfort you could sleep on the settee.

single stateroom is a great option for experienced cruisers and adds value to the vessel

As far as resale goes, consider that the usual twin bed is 78" long. 74" is getting kind of shy. While a six footer can nominally go there, the pillow inevitably takes up a few inches and there are more and more people over six feet.

Jim

For an occasional guest get a blow up mattress.

Back
Top Bottom