refinishing exterior windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertas

Vessel Name
Passages
Vessel Make
Defever 49 CPMY
Have a 2000 Defever 49 CPMY. Exterior window frames are wood with screws and bungs going through the cabin wall holding the interior wood trim. Bungs are just starting to give way, making some small cracks around the heads. rest of the paint is in good condition. I need to sand this down and reset the bungs. wondering how to get a good match to the gelcoat next to it. They match perfect now. Maybe it is gelcoat on the wood frames. Was considering using Alexseal for the paint, but again need a color match or compliment. Anyone done this project before?

Attachments

• IMG_1762 (1).jpg
    IMG_1762 (1).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 31
Nobody that I know of would gelcoat wood unless it’s glassed and exterior trim like in the photo is a poor candidate. In fact I doubt you’ll find gelcoat used on any of the deckhouse. These deckhouses are built up and not a molded structure. Those yards cannot afford or is it worth the time and effort to tool up such a complicated and fragile mold.

I’m not sure what material is used to build the deckhouse but you can find out by locating a vent, or shore power connection finish plate. Remove it and look at the cut out in the panel which should reveal either plywood or a sandwich with balsa or foam.

Anyway I only see one proud bung and it’s being pushed out by the fastener below. If there are a lot more than you may have a problem. You could very very carefully pop that bung, if it’s wood, with the white coating intact using a small sharp fine tool. If the bung is putty it still may be possible as the photo reveals it seems to have broken free 360° but you have to wonder if it’s bonded to the screw head. For a small finesse job like this all these considerations are important if you want a quick easy aesthetic fix. The bung has popped because the fastener underneath is working and loose.

Track down that fastener on the interior and see if a similar problem exists. I’m sure it’s a flathead machine screw nutted inside but it may be a screw if it’s nutted inside so you won’t be able to tighten it but look anyway. Either way the screw must be re-torqued/tightened then with real finesse apply some glue and reset the bung. If you are careful to realign ( similar to a pottery chip ) the bung and attached paint will seat with very little evidence. If afterwords it looks a bit rough around the edges take some BonAmi cleanser and rub the area until you get a white slurry and let it set up and dry. Wipe with a wet cloth gently and wax. If this fails it would suggest taping off the frame, sanding with 180-220 grit and spray the same color with a PreVal throw away spray unit.

Good luck
Rick

I rebuilt all my windows on our blog, grandbankschoices.

With Awlgrip the window frames now look molded in.

Choices,
Did you use some fairing compound to do a filet between frame and exterior wall? If so you must have ended up painting it all. Big job for sure.

Not sure what you mean.

I used a fairing compound to fair the frames after priming mounting, and the bungs installed.

Then reprimed and color coated.

I used a urethane sealant between frame and cabin. Then masked 1/8" extra to allow paint to seal completely.

I did not leave a fillet from frame to cabin. Kept it a sharp clean 90. That will hide any imperfections.

Any questions PM me and I will send my number and we can talk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom