Hurricane Ian was Tropical Storm Ian was Tropical Depression 09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
Not looking good. Living in Florida you have to expect these but one could hope that the forecasters are wrong. Crap!

Attachments

• 7D037364-2A0F-46F8-B4E0-4161F5D57235.jpg
    7D037364-2A0F-46F8-B4E0-4161F5D57235.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 5A11611C-DE1F-43C1-AB8E-F77209B9921E.jpg
    5A11611C-DE1F-43C1-AB8E-F77209B9921E.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 75
  • B8713ACF-3D2A-4DEA-B3A3-B4D94B6F8A2A.jpg
    B8713ACF-3D2A-4DEA-B3A3-B4D94B6F8A2A.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 73
If you are in Jaxsonville, you have a lot less to worry about than those in the south west parts of Florida.......The storm will weaken considerably as it travels over land without the warm water to sustain it.......and 8 or 9 days out things can change drastically.

The thing I hate about hurricane forecasts is the hope and prayer hand-wringing because it's a zero sum game. Right now, the "M" is right around Sarasota, which puts St Petersburg on the clean side, which is good for us, bad for Sarasota.

The models have a surprising amount of convergence right now.

Peter Screenshot_20220923-160437_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I truly hate the fact that the current cone has the 2PM Weds "M" right on top of us. We've got the house sold and are ready to head out - Buyer's walkthrough is scheduled for Weds morning and closing is scheduled for Thurs AM. Hoping this storm will move to one side or the other...

If you are in Jaxsonville, you have a lot less to worry about than those in the south west parts of Florida.......The storm will weaken considerably as it travels over land without the warm water to sustain it.......and 8 or 9 days out things can change drastically.

I agree but disagree and hope you’re right that things can change

Winds and/or/storm surge plus winds are a big issue when a hurricane hits land but even when the storm is weakening or 100 miles away you can still be screwed. Jacksonville had 250 year flooding in 2017 with Irma. We live at less than 5’ above sea level.

Spent the day taking down canvas, stowing deck chairs - all the fun stuff. If the current cone of uncertainty (remember agent 99?) holds true we will see a Cat 3 pass right over our marina :banghead: Really surprised that I was about the only one doing boat preps there today - my guess is tomorrow will be different...

Preparing the best I can and hoping for the best. Admiral and I will watch it all on the news while in Atlanta. Just too old and grumpy to deal with this hurricane crap on-scene anymore :D

Spent the day taking down canvas, stowing deck chairs - all the fun stuff. If the current cone of uncertainty (remember agent 99?) holds true we will see a Cat 3 pass right over our marina :banghead: Really surprised that I was about the only one doing boat preps there today - my guess is tomorrow will be different...

Preparing the best I can and hoping for the best. Admiral and I will watch it all on the news while in Atlanta. Just too old and grumpy to deal with this hurricane crap on-scene anymore :D

We are doing boat prep too, except for the winter…

The thing I hate about hurricane forecasts is the hope and prayer hand-wringing because it's a zero sum game. Right now, the "M" is right around Sarasota, which puts St Petersburg on the clean side, which is good for us, bad for Sarasota.

The models have a surprising amount of convergence right now.

Peter View attachment 132287

With a Cat 4 it will be problematic no matter which side if its close enough and you are at or near the coast.

With a Cat 4 it will be problematic no matter which side if its close enough and you are at or near the coast.
All relative. Being 20 miles to the left of the centerline is a helluva better than being 20 miles to the right. May not make it good, but definitely makes a BIG difference.

Latest NHC projection attached. Remarkably steady forecast.......for now

PeterScreenshot_20220924-051812_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I still remember when someone asked me, "What do you do when it rains?" to which I replied, "I generally stay inside and dry."
:D

Last edited:
I think I remember that the dangerous semi circle's real power is partially defined by the speed of the storm when it hits.

On the other hand, surface winds in the lesser semicircle are are often degraded by land based obstructions,, except where funneling occurs or tornadic activity....

Last edited:
If the present forecast track holds, the west coast of Florida from the Keys to around Bradenton is in for major punishment. But, if the eyewall drifts just 40 miles to the west of the forecast track, it will make landfall someplace north of Clearwater. In that case, Tampa Bay itself will finally experience its "perfect storm" scenario, with hurricane-force winds out of the southwest pushing water through the Bay entrance causing major flooding all the way up its rivers and estuaries. If it doesn't happen with Hurricane Ian, it will eventually - just a matter of time. I love the Tampa Bay area - lived there for 25 years - but its vulnerability to this particular hurricane orientation is scary.

IF you choose to believe the projection, they shifted the models projections further west with a projected land fall around St Petersburg FL

I live just north of Clearwater in new port Richey and hope it drifts really far west and clears our area.
But is is what it is. I’ll be watching via my security cameras unless the power goes out as I’m currently in CT with our travel trailer

If the present forecast track holds, the west coast of Florida from the Keys to around Bradenton is in for major punishment. But, if the eyewall drifts just 40 miles to the west of the forecast track, it will make landfall someplace north of Clearwater. In that case, Tampa Bay itself will finally experience its "perfect storm" scenario, with hurricane-force winds out of the southwest pushing water through the Bay entrance causing major flooding all the way up its rivers and estuaries. If it doesn't happen with Hurricane Ian, it will eventually - just a matter of time. I love the Tampa Bay area - lived there for 25 years - but its vulnerability to this particular hurricane orientation is scary.
I have wondered about wind-surge pushing up Tampa Bay. I was a presenter at a TrawlerFest in Solomons MD in the early 2000s. That year, a hurricane had swept up the Chesapeake a few weeks prior (Isabel?). The surge floated docks over their pilings, and when the water ran out, created an ultra-low tide. A lot of damage, just from the wind-pushed surge up the bay.

When Irma came through in 2017, I was living in St Pete. I was pretty sure my house was a goner when I left to stay with friends in Ocala. However, Irma veered inland placing us on the "clean" side, however JAX was hit pretty hard. We had bo property damage, but sure had a lot of yard cleanup to do.

Seems there are natural threats in all my adopted homes. SF had earthquakes, mountain cabin in Colorado has wildfires.

Peter

My neighbor, who is older than Methuselah and has lived on the northern Gulf coast all his life, says that right now if he had a boat at Apalachicola or Carrabelle, that he would be very worried. He thinks the eye will come ashore over there, no matter what anyone else may think. Who knows? Not me.

My neighbor, who is older than Methuselah and has lived on the northern Gulf coast all his life, says that right now if he had a boat at Apalachicola or Carrabelle, that he would be very worried. He thinks the eye will come ashore over there, no matter what anyone else may think. Who knows? Not me.

I think he may be right...

The 11 PM EDT advisory would seem to bear your friend's worries out, but Ian is still four-plus days away. There's a lot of worrying yet to be done.

The point of landfall, just a few miles either way, certainly can make all the difference - just ask the folks in Panama City who experienced Hurricane Michael on October 10, 2018. But even twelve hours out, predicting the point of landfall is a fool's game. Honestly, anytime a Big One takes aim at the eastern Gulf of Mexico, boaters everywhere along the coast should check their insurance, prepare as best they can and then lace-up their running shoes.

Sunday 8 am update.

Attachments

• AE92035E-E5F1-4AC1-BB58-A775805EA979.jpg
    AE92035E-E5F1-4AC1-BB58-A775805EA979.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 36
  • C10E0035-1593-4197-9C55-75FFA8D58D85.jpg
    C10E0035-1593-4197-9C55-75FFA8D58D85.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I think he may be right...

Yeah, he was cackling a bit this morning when I went over and had coffee with him. Well, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom