Garmin inReach Obsolete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The iPhone 14 will have a satellite emergency signal capability. Don’t think it will replace a PLB or an inReach but it is going in that direction.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426
Probably not for my use. It won't be as robust with respect to being waterproof, tough and a long battery life. Will it be linked to 24x7 proven emergency response enter?

Looks like it is just for communications with EMS and not texting to family and friends etc.

The In Reach is a pretty decent device for text communications with both other In Reach devices or email to non In Reach subscribers. When offshore or otherwise out of cell range it serves well as a "safety" device.

It's an interesting concept but not yet a replacement for the Garmin inReach. In addition to concerns about replacing a rugged piece of gear desgined for outdoor and emergency use with a relatively fragile iPhone there are technical limitations.

From Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

Emergency SOS via satellite availability

To use Emergency SOS via satellite, you need an iPhone 14 model.*It will also require an iOS 16 software update coming in November 2022.

You also need to be in a place with no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage.

Emergency SOS via satellite is available only in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada.

International travelers who visit the U.S. and Canada can use Emergency SOS via satellite, except if they bought their phone in China mainland, Hong Kong, or Macao. Emergency SOS via satellite isn't offered on iPhone models purchased in China mainland, Hong Kong, or Macao.

Emergency SOS via satellite isn't available in Guam or American Samoa.

Emergency SOS via satellite might not work in places above 62° latitude, such as northern parts of Canada and Alaska.

This article goes into more detail https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobil...ncy-sos-satellite-how-work-cost-availability/

The Apple SOS feature seems to be less reliable and requires more from the user to work properly than the inReach. Tracking the satellite, keeping alignment and more interaction required by the user.

Also the iPhone's satellite communicaiton is emergency only, no general text or tracking that the inReach offers. I have used both in urgent situations that had the potential to become emergency situations. Without going off topic I once had the USCG Morrow Bay standing by in case the urgent developed into emergency.

Apple uses the same term as Garmin for their emergency communications. SOS. However I wonder if Apple's response system is a robust as Garmin's? Garmin's IERCC has a proven track record of success.

Additionally Garmin offers search and rescue insurance that will help with the costs of a rescue if needed.

So, at this time, for anyone who cruises remote areas or outside of the US and Canada the iPhone is not a replacement for the inReach. Apple will likely improve that in future, who knows when.

For me a cell phone will never replace a dedicated well designed piece of emergency gear. The cell my be the first thing I reach for because it's easy and I'm familiar with it. But it won't replace the EPIRB and inReach which are what I carry aboard.

Garmin inreach has many more functions such as sharing your tracking data, general SMS and access to weather and mapping. Also as pointed out, much more robust and designed for the environment where it will be used. I don't see the upcoming SOS functions from phones being a threat for any mariner who really wants access to emergency service.

I have a very old "SPOT" which works great. No texting, just sends out a small message stating we are all ok and lists our position on the map.

Nice and quite, no nose in a cell phone. We are safe, that's all!!!

Other phone manufacturers have announced plans to offer something like this, too. At this point it's either vaporware, or in its infancy.

But I think it will replace the InReach at some point. Basically what they're doing is putting 5G antennae on existing satellites. It'll be very low bandwidth, but fine for getting off the occasional text or location breadcrumb, which is all InReach does.

As for form factor, I would gladly replace my InReach with an app on my phone which does the same thing. We always have two phones on board, and generally two tablets, as well. One of the tablets has a SIM card for cellular data. If the day came when two or three of those devices allowed satellite text and SOS, then the InReach subscription would be pointless.

Back
Top Bottom