Thread: Medical kit
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
OldDan1943
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I keep a ZOLL defibrillator on board with child and adult pads. Not only to batteries need to be changes but also the pad. The pads get old and lose their 'sticky'.
Based on my observation, the existing "prepared" medical kits spend a lot of space on bandaids and gauze. A versatile 'drug' is aspirin. Those places that sell the large kits also hold classes. Consider taking the classroom courses. If out to sea or near shore, you have a question, they offer the ability to talk to doctors and/or nurses.
The kit (large) I have is currently in my store room and intended to go on voyages only. Gotta keep it readily available in a dry area. You need to learn how to immobilize broken bones and compound fracture.
Dont forget to get a few large packs of the 'magic powder" to stop bleed. Learn how to properly to use a tourniquet.
Learn how to close wound.
Of course CPR. I would think one of the oxygen generator is of some value too.
So many things to learn and the time to learn it is before you need. You need to learn far more than basic First Aid.

I keep a smaller kit on board too.