Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember being jazzed about the concept of the N41, especially the range, the small-ish size, two small efficient engines, the Nordhavn brand, etc. Then I took a closer look. The discontinued N43 (now stretched out to the N47) is and was in my view a superior boat in so many ways. Indeed, when I started to dream of owning a pilot house trawler, the N43 was my search image. But the Nordhavn brand has incredible buzz, so I am not surprised that the N41 is back ordered 2.5 years. Imagine taking possession of your boat in Turkey and doing your shakedown cruise in the Med. Awesome. Still, I do not like the lines of the boat and you have confirmed what shows in photos and plans: it is cramped. That is not good for a long-range cruiser, no matter how fancy.

I write this from what we laughingly call “The Great Room” on the H38e. That is the salon/saloon or whatever you call it. And we now call the pilot house “The Office” because it is such a perfect work spot. This is a stunning amount of space in a 40’ trawler, which makes it so livable. And today we cooked a huge meal for our kids and grandkids in the expansive galley. A real kitchen! And just moving past each other doesn’t require an “excuse me” followed by sucking in your gut (as it did on the Ranger Tug). We have been blown away by how much space there is on this boat compared to others in its size or even bigger.

If living space and cabins is the priority, I was also aboard a Prestige 59. A Euro-style go-fast cruiser. Twin Cummins Zeus drives shift engines aft, which makes a full standing headroom owners suite (yes, suite) under the salon, and a couple of additional cabins forward. The salon is a spacious as a small dirt home. Snazzy cockpit. Not my thing, but a heck of an entertainment boat.

This review of the Takacat is from a couple who mention Annapolis so I assume (without looking further) that they are East coast boaters. A pretty good review. I am beginning to think whether the dinghy will work or not for a particular user surrounds its use case. I have always used a dinghy to get from point A to Point B. I am not looking for a go fast, spacious dinghy, but more one that will get me to a dock or shore from a mooring or anchor. They do state towards the end that beaching the boat will get you wet, and that the motor will splash water up through the transom, but other than that they haven’t experienced getting wet as an issue. There is a fix for the transom issue with a plate that Takacat supplies. Anyhow, just a post to add to the conversation on dinghies.

Nate. We had zero problem with this with our 300S (the one with the closed off nose) except that we would occasionally get water in over the transom when we slowed in rough stuff. I have yet to give the 300 LX a rough water test, but I bet it is much wetter than the S. So yes, this is a concern.

One more question for you. On the ePropulsion did you get the extra short shaft, the short shaft, or the long shaft? Thanks.

I was at the Newport boat show today.

Its a pretty good feeling when you step off boats much larger and more expensive and prefer the one you have to others.

Noteworthy, I was aboard a Nordhavn 41. I expected to be impressed. No so much. Less than half the main cabin + pilothouse living space in sq ft. compared to a H38. And calling it half is charitable. Might be a quarter. Quite tight actually. In that regard its closer to a Ranger Tug 31 than to a H38. The wood used in the cabin looks nicer in promo pics than in person. Yeah, a few nice features, but overall there was no wow factor there for me. At all. The salesman said the order backlog is running 2.5 years. Obviously others disagree.

The Kady 52 was nice, at $2.2mm I think. Modest size salon. Nice pilothouse, and liked the entry to the flybridge up through the pilothouse. But really what you get extra for the money and length is a couple of additional guest cabins. The owner's cabin is not as nice as the H38.

I went to the Newport Boat Show today, and also went aboard the Nordhavn 41, expecting to be impressed. Like you, I wasn’t.

The biggest thing for me was the interior finishes were disappointing, and in my opinion, substantially inferior to Helmsman. The brochure called the interior finish ‘walnut’, but I don’t think any trees were sacrificed in the construction. The cabinets and other supposedly ‘wood’ surfaces looked and felt like a composite/particle board with a veneer on top. The surface felt like it was made of some kind unspeakable use of polymers. It was not appealing, and looked ‘artificial’ to me. It might have been inspired by the look of walnut, but the execution was chemistry and plastics.

For $900,000, I expected better. It was useful to see it. Now I no longer lust after it and wish I stretched to buy one.

I didn’t mind the ‘cramped’ interior as much. The layout had a similar two opposing settee configuration as we spec’d for our upcoming Helmsman 38 Sedan, though the Nordhavn galley intruded into the flow. I’ve heard some people quip that in an offshore passagemaker, one doesn’t necessarily want ‘wide open spaces’, because it leaves too much room for a falling body to accelerate in a fall (which can happen often in heavy seas). In the Nordhavn, there isn’t far to fall, and always something close at hand to grab on to.

I liked the exterior styling, what felt like robust construction, and the twin engines and choice of power. But the interior finish would be an absolute deal-breaker, even if I could afford it. Like you, I much prefer the Helmsman, even if the Nordhavn was the same price.

On the ePropulsion unit I got the short shaft. We are going to give it and the Takacat a full test run tomorrow. If there are any big issues, I will report back. All I can say is that having a smaller/lighter dingy on the flybridge has been great. Two days ago when I was cleaning the upper deck I just tipped it up on its side and leaned it against the railing while cleaning the deck. And when we land on a beach tomorrow we will just lower the wheels and one of us will walk it up above the tide line. And we too use a dingy to get someplace and less to explore it. That is what the Eddyline kayaks on Magma racks off the flybridge railings are for (to start another thread…it’s a cool look).

On the ePropulsion unit I got the short shaft. We are going to give it and the Takacat a full test run tomorrow. If there are any big issues, I will report back. All I can say is that having a smaller/lighter dingy on the flybridge has been great. /QUOTE]

I have the same engine on a small inflatable dinghy. The "short" shaft is a little long, the XS would have been better, so measure carefully before ordering. My fault for not doing so and trusting the advice of the dealer. That said, I love the eProp. Just don't expect it to plane any dinghy regardless of size and weight. Otherwise it's a breeze to use, store, maintain, etc. Not good for every mssion, but perfect for mine.

But that brings up the fact that the days are getting shorter and cooler and the boat lives in the PNW. Since we leave our boat alone for weeks at a time (occupied for a week a month in the off-season), we should invest in one or more dehumidifiers. And we are looking for something small and easy to store when on the boat. On our old boat we did fine with those Caframo air circulators, but given the volume of this boat I can’t imagine those would be enough.

[Jeff

My 44 tri cabin layout likely has the volume you are getting. I keep it in Vancouver BC in the winters, so humidity issues here should mimic what you will see. I have tried various combinations of small heaters to control winter chill and condensation. Over 28 winters with this boat I have had condensation issues only a couple of time, so increased the heat the following winters, but decreased it again later to minimize energy costs. When I bought a Caframo Seeker for the forepeak, that proved to be a lasting solution. I haven't tried using a Caframo Seeker in the aft cabin, as the minimum output of a real heater (https://www.fisheriessupply.com/cabin/boat-heaters/portable) has proven to be just right. For the saloon, I rely on the ER warmth seeping through the floor along with extra from the aft cabin rising through the open door. In the Er I simply leave it to the water heater and charger to heat the space.
Your insulation will likely be superior to mine, of which there is none against the hull and only interior finishes against the cabin sides. I haven't dropped the headliners so don't know if those are insulated, except for the aft cabin, where some is used as the headliner.
No dehumidifiers have been necessary.

Thanks Keith. Our Ranger Tugs never needed dehumidifiers and were just fine with the Caframo Seekr. It just seems that a lot of the PNW Helmsmans I have seen have dehumidifiers in them during the winter. We are heading back to California shortly, so I will set up my Caframo Seekr units before we bug out. But I may return next month with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-13-P...mzn1.fos.08f69ac3-fd3d-4b88-bca2-8997e41410bb

Scott Helker, who runs the show at Helmsman, recommended this unit. And I have learned to pay attention to what he has to say. Will report back on how this works out.

Jeff

Our 46 is under construction with a completion date of May 2023. She will be hull #1. We opted for the alternate lower deck design. The large second stateroom will be an office/craft room, with additional storage. Scott and Van were instrumental in planning the new build. Today, our 2020 38E was sold with their generous help as brokers. Our 38E is Alaska proven. We completed the cruise earlier this summer, a round trip of 2711 nautical miles in 72 days. Plan to go back to BC and SE Alaska in 2024 in the 46. Beautiful country, endless anchorages, and abundant wildlife. Let me say again, Waterline is a top class outfit. You couldn't wish for more expert and experienced boaters and brokers. On top of that, their 38E's are extremely well designed, well built, with exceptional quality, fit and finish. Our 46 will be the same.
chanppr - will you be starting a new thread on your H46 build? I for one would be very interested in following that build and seeing pictures of Helmsman's present flagship.

On the ePropulsion unit I got the short shaft. We are going to give it and the Takacat a full test run tomorrow. If there are any big issues, I will report back. All I can say is that having a smaller/lighter dingy on the flybridge has been great. Two days ago when I was cleaning the upper deck I just tipped it up on its side and leaned it against the railing while cleaning the deck. And when we land on a beach tomorrow we will just lower the wheels and one of us will walk it up above the tide line. And we too use a dingy to get someplace and less to explore it. That is what the Eddyline kayaks on Magma racks off the flybridge railings are for (to start another thread…it’s a cool look).

We’re you able to get out on the Takacat? Would be good to get a little feedback, if so. Thanks.

Accessory questions for Helmsman 38E be

It looks like our Helmsman Trawlers 38E is nearing completion in the factory. While we have been waiting, we have been researching accessories we will need. Not having the boat here to verify measurements makes some items difficult to select. We would appreciate any suggestions from Helmsman owners on these items:

1. Rail mounted flag poles and holders (Boat deck aft top rail and bow pulpit rail) Top rails are 1 1/4" OD.
2. Stern tie reel (Starboard side staple mounted)
3. TV Mounts and TV size for fold down TV cabinet option (Salon and stateroom)
4. Master shower curtain and rod

Doug--we don't have a TV or a shower curtain/rod (which we don't find necessary), so can't help you there. I couldn't figure out a good place to mount a stern tie reel. So following a recommendation I found somewhere online, I flaked our line (all 600' of 1/2" polypropylene line) into an Ikea bag (dirt cheap on Amazon). It works great, and is probably even easier and quicker to deploy and retrieve than using a reel. It also stores easily in the lazarette.

Update on Takacat

Sorry for the delay in this report. We took our Takacat 300 LX and ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 short shaft out for a full test yesterday. Great boat and motor combo for point A to point B stuff, although very close quarters work with a 2 year old hanging over the bow with a net trying to sample marine invertebrates and algae was a good challenge. The ability to poke in and out of tight spaces silently and with only a twist of the tiller for forward and reverse was worth gold to this kid with her grandmother’s death grip on the pfd.

A couple of pertinent observations. First the dingy. 1) the Takacat is a breeze to launch from the flybridge because it weighs so little. We have the smallest crane/davit Helmsman puts on, I believe, and it was a piece of cake to launch and retrieve. I built my own sling out of four NRS cam straps, ss quick release buckles, and a heavy ring. 2) The best selling point about this dingy is its stability. You can literally stand on one tube without tipping it over. Great for getting people in and out. 3) While the LX is definitely dog friendly for landings, in retrospect I think the 300S is a better choice. It is drier and has a well-defined forward compartment. I have no regrets about choosing the LX—better for dogs—but would lean toward the S. 4) it took me 15 minutes (using a 12v blower) to set the dinghy up. It took me about half an hour to take it down and get it into its bags. You really have to get all the air out of the tubes to successfully put “the toothpaste back in the tube” with this challenge to the second law of thermodynamics. But I did put it all away and it is neatly stacked on the flybridge and will go under the canvas covers shortly.

The ePropulsion observations. 1) I got the short shaft. Looking at the ePropulsion documentation, I wonder if the extra short shaft might not be the better option. Please check this carefully. I think my shaft is too long (no snarky comments even though you are all thinking them). 2) this is a step up from the Torqeedo. It is much quieter, faster, and goes farther. It is not as solid a build as the Torqeedo (things seem cheaper in build and design), and it does not track your SOG, but overall I am very pleased with the choice. Easy to set up and take down and zips around just fine. I got the bags for the ePropulsion shaft and battery, but have come to the conclusion that if you are storing it on your boat, these are not necessary and may even be problematic because they add a lot of bulk. Great if you plan on carrying the motor lots of places. Otherwise, not so great.

That is my report. Apologies for the length. The Takacat/ePropulsion combo is not for everyone. It does a great job of poking around marinas and going to shore while at anchor. Not great for long trips in rough water.

Jeff

Sorry for the delay in this report. We took our Takacat 300 LX and ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 short shaft out for a full test yesterday. Great boat and motor combo for point A to point B stuff, although very close quarters work with a 2 year old hanging over the bow with a net trying to sample marine invertebrates and algae was a good challenge. The ability to poke in and out of tight spaces silently and with only a twist of the tiller for forward and reverse was worth gold to this kid with her grandmother’s death grip on the pfd.

A couple of pertinent observations. First the dingy. 1) the Takacat is a breeze to launch from the flybridge because it weighs so little. We have the smallest crane/davit Helmsman puts on, I believe, and it was a piece of cake to launch and retrieve. I built my own sling out of four NRS cam straps, ss quick release buckles, and a heavy ring. 2) The best selling point about this dingy is its stability. You can literally stand on one tube without tipping it over. Great for getting people in and out. 3) While the LX is definitely dog friendly for landings, in retrospect I think the 300S is a better choice. It is drier and has a well-defined forward compartment. I have no regrets about choosing the LX—better for dogs—but would lean toward the S. 4) it took me 15 minutes (using a 12v blower) to set the dinghy up. It took me about half an hour to take it down and get it into its bags. You really have to get all the air out of the tubes to successfully put “the toothpaste back in the tube” with this challenge to the second law of thermodynamics. But I did put it all away and it is neatly stacked on the flybridge and will go under the canvas covers shortly.

The ePropulsion observations. 1) I got the short shaft. Looking at the ePropulsion documentation, I wonder if the extra short shaft might not be the better option. Please check this carefully. I think my shaft is too long (no snarky comments even though you are all thinking them). 2) this is a step up from the Torqeedo. It is much quieter, faster, and goes farther. It is not as solid a build as the Torqeedo (things seem cheaper in build and design), and it does not track your SOG, but overall I am very pleased with the choice. Easy to set up and take down and zips around just fine. I got the bags for the ePropulsion shaft and battery, but have come to the conclusion that if you are storing it on your boat, these are not necessary and may even be problematic because they add a lot of bulk. Great if you plan on carrying the motor lots of places. Otherwise, not so great.

That is my report. Apologies for the length. The Takacat/ePropulsion combo is not for everyone. It does a great job of poking around marinas and going to shore while at anchor. Not great for long trips in rough water.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I purchased the T300LX. And the ePropulsion 1.0 Spirit. I got the short shaft, because I wasn’t sure the extra short shaft would absolutely work. Yep, jokes could abound, I guess. :) Anyway, I appreciate the report back, and it seems that the dinghy will serve our purposes well.

Our primary concern with a dinghy, was that we did not want to store up top, because we will use that area to entertain and hang out.

We use our dinghy for ship to shore, and won’t explore a lot, though we will use it for that when we want to.

The dinghy will be on the stern, and with the 5’2” width, will just fit with the davit system we already have. The weight of the dinghy and motor will allow for manual deployment and stowing, precluding a motorized winch, while allowing us older folks to deploy easily. The pontoons make the switch to electric a little easier, in that the dinghy will have sufficient speed for us. And we won’t have to store gas on board, or have to remember to fill that tank.

Our boat will have a dual use. We plan to do the loop, so for coastal and ICW travel it should work well, in a rather benign cruising ground. We do plan a Bahamas trip (or two) in the next couple of years. The second use will be our home port on the Tennessee River, which we will spend more time at after the loop. When we do have it more full time on the Tennessee, the ease of being able to stow the dinghy for weeks at a time in its bag, will be an added benefit to us, as we find we didn’t use the dinghy too often on day trips on our other boat.

Two issues I have tripped across with these dinghies is that the PVC version will not last as long as the Hypalon version. The Hypalon is about double the cost of the PVC version per the dealer I spoke with. The flip side is that you can replace sections of the boat if they fail. Both the Hypalon and the PVC have glued seams as opposed to welded seams. The reasoning for this is that the welded seams harden and tend to break in storage. The downside to the glue is that it is sensitive to heat. So, a cover is important to lower the direct sunlight on the dinghy. Chaps were also suggested, but that seems like overkill. Defender has the dinghy on sale through today for about $300 off.

Last edited:
Yes, I will be starting a new thread on the 46, in late October. The thread will be titled ‘The New Helmsman 46’.

Yes, I will be starting a new thread on the 46, in late October. The thread will be titled ‘The New Helmsman 46’.

I appreciate you doing that. It will be great to hear about the build and the decisions you make with it. Exciting times!

I got the short shaft. Looking at the ePropulsion documentation, I wonder if the extra short shaft might not be the better option. Please check this carefully. I think my shaft is too long (no snarky comments even though you are all thinking them).

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I spoke with a dealer who sells both the Takacat and the ePropulsion a few minutes ago. He said that in his opinion, the short shaft is the way to go. He said the extra short shaft cavitates at about 3/4 power which he described as annoying. He said that if a customer wants the extra short shaft, that they should buy the cavitation plate (which costs about $100) to limit the noise. He didn't feel like the cavitation had a marked effect on performance, but was annoying. Nate

Glad you checked in on that. So my "short shaft" is good enuf then. I do have to say, we both remarked how well it ran at WOT compared to the Torqeedo and how dry it would be because the short shaft brings the bow up a bit when you are going fast-ish (there is no fast in an electric motor of this size, just variations of slow-ish).

And to reiterate my report of last night, I set the dingy up in 15 minutes and took it apart in 1/2 hour (and will get better at this with time). It really is pretty slick to just stow the dingy when you don't need it and want the flybridge space instead.

It looks like our Helmsman Trawlers 38E is nearing completion in the factory. While we have been waiting, we have been researching accessories we will need. Not having the boat here to verify measurements makes some items difficult to select. We would appreciate any suggestions from Helmsman owners on these items:

1. Rail mounted flag poles and holders (Boat deck aft top rail and bow pulpit rail) Top rails are 1 1/4" OD.

Doug, Here is a video of the stern tie using a bag, as opposed to a reel that Two Truth’s posted about.

I, too, would like to know the cabinet dimensions of the TV cabinet and what size TV works there.

Doug and Patti, that is very exciting news. Any idea approximately when you will take possession? Since we are practically neighbors we would love to come by and see it when it arrives in La Connor.

Doug and Patti, that is very exciting news. Any idea approximately when you will take possession? Since we are practically neighbors we would love to come by and see it when it arrives in La Connor.

Scott said that it might be finished by the end of the month. Based upon yesterday’s photos, we don’t think that’s realistic. Now we think we’ll have the boat home sometime in November. We’d love to have come and visit “Alba Bella” and us of course.

Two new 38Es delivered to the east coast

Helmsman Trawlers has a new blog post on the delivery of the newest 38Es to Georgia and Virginia within hours of each other. I believe these are Hulls 47 and 48. The next two out the door will include our Hull 50 and Helmsman’s Hull 49.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/

Helmsman Trawlers has a new blog post on the delivery of the newest 38Es to Georgia and Virginia within hours of each other. I believe these are Hulls 47 and 48. The next two out the door will include our Hull 50 and Helmsman’s Hull 49.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/

Getting close, Doug. The Helmsman team has been working on delivery scenarios for our boat. Soon, a start to a new adventure!

So excited for you guys. Barbara and I are thrilled with our what we presume to be hull #40 based on the hull ID.

We have had a chance to show off the boat to folks on D dock in Elliott Bay and to friends (we are back in California now). Lots of admirers, including awkward moments when we look up and see faces pressed against the glass looking in at us. This used to happen a lot with our Ranger Tugs so we just roll with it and invite them in.

But the best part was being at the public dock in Winslow on Bainbridge Island last week and a gorgeous Selene 49 pulled up opposite us. I love the lines on that boat. Second only to the Fleming in my book. As I helped him dock and tie up the captain leaned over to me, pointed at Off Leash and said "what is that boat? I really like it". What? You sir have a gorgeous Selene. But enough about your boat, let's talk about my boat...

Very satisfying. Brace yourself for cheek prints on your cabin windows. It is a mark of admiration if not envy.

Jeff

We’re expecting

We have a delivery date for “Alba Bella”. The container ship from Shanghai will arrive in Seattle on October 30. We may have her home for Thanksgiving. Now we have a definite answer to the frequent questions about when we’re getting our boat.

Doug, Good news on the delivery date! I was invited to watch the unloading of our 38E from the container ship in Seattle. What an amazing experience. After hooking up the batteries we went to the Helmsman docks in Lake Union. Congratulations on your 38E. You will love her!!

We have a delivery date for “Alba Bella”. The container ship from Shanghai will arrive in Seattle on October 30. We may have her home for Thanksgiving. Now we have a definite answer to the frequent questions about when we’re getting our boat.

Great news Doug. Congratulations.

I hope we get to see the unloading too. We plan to spend time on the boat while it’s being commissioned on Lake Union. The arrival of “Alba Bella” in Shelter Bay will be a much anticipated festive occasion too. Our friends and neighbors all want to join us for a christening celebration.

Congratulations! Awesome news. Now the fun starts for you. What you need to have short term, long term, what to get now, what to wait on. And that is just before the boat arrives. Will be a great first passage to get familiar with how she handles, too!

Back
Top Bottom