Doug made it to Mexico from Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I am happy to announce that my good friend Doug, and fellow TF member has made it to Mexico from his home port in Homer Alaska.

Doug made the trip, over 2800 Nautical Miles in his 30' Willard Pilothouse, all by himself.

This is a Fantastic accomplishment!

Congratulations Doug!

Attachments

• 6B7163B9-B1AE-4DA9-97A2-85256CDC1371.jpg
    6B7163B9-B1AE-4DA9-97A2-85256CDC1371.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
A great accomplishment!

Reading about this sort of thing makes me sooo envious..! But good on Doug for doing it. ☝️ ?

Congratulations. Wonderful sense of achievement I bet on a well planned and enjoyed voyage.

A Wonderful Accomplishment! I hope to follow that path south from Washington State in 10 years.

Awesome!!! Congrats. You put all those who said you couldn't do it wrong!! Alaskans are a Hardy bunch.

Great Accomplishment!

I'd really like to encourage Doug to post some details of how he did it, where he put in, fueled, engine maintenance stories, etc. This is something we can all learn from.

Congrats Doug,

It was a pleasure meeting you on your journey and having you here at our marina for a couple days, hope you have continued fair winds and calm seas.

Regards,
Jim

I'd really like to encourage Doug to post some details of how he did it, where he put in, fueled, engine maintenance stories, etc. This is something we can all learn from.

You can follow the original thread, just search Doug's posts from the start of his trip.

Is there a diary/log to read. Would really like to learn from his experience of a long voyage on a relatively small boat.

Me included! Congratulations and inspirational!

^^ What Olivia said. Though a daily reader of this site, I had no idea Doug was engaged in this kind of voyage.

Congratulations ����

+1

Bravo Zulu Doug

As Kevin pointed out, it was mostly a series of one day trips, one after the other but still one day at a time. Plans have to be fluid, especially in Alaska where the weather changes quickly and forecasts aren't good for very long. I basically followed Kevin, because there is only one route down :) I ran to the far end of Montague Island the first day, prepared to jump to Kayak Island where I would hopefully find shelter and get some rest.

It didn't work that way, the weather split the Island right down both sides, so I had to continue on to Icy Bay running through the night. There was a lot of debris in the water around Kayak Island, the Copper River dumps into the Gulf between Cordova and Kayak Island providing plenty of debris. Once past Kayak Island though, the waters are relatively clear of debris until you approach Icy Bay, then it's ice bergs you have to watch for. Icy Bay was amazing, clean beaches covered with bear tracks and strawberries, it was nice to get off the boat after 3 days of sitting.

The next morning, well rested, I pushed on to Yakutat Bay and the marina there. I was there for about a week, while serious weather blew by outside the bay. The next run was hopefully to the Inside Passage but I didn't make it quite that far, settling for Torch Bay which has a boot shaped head protected from the swells. As I shut down I noticed Twisted Tree and his Nordhaven in the next bay over on my AIS receiver, which also has a boot but is a larger anchorage.

The next morning I opted to run towards Sitka, having never been there. The back channels through the islands were excellent, many power trolling fishing boats were working the waters. Short of Sitka I lost another day to travel due to weather, but the following day motored in amongst the cruise ships and tied transient for a couple of nights. My chart chip had expired and wasn't updatable, requiring me to purchase a new Navionics chip and download the charts. I was navigating on my iPad, which had the same charts installed and updated, so it wasn't an issue.

My boat has phenomenal range, so fuel was never an issue. I fueled in Sitka, diesel was $5.50 a gallon, which didn't seem bad considering everything there comes in by barge. With full fuel and fresh groceries I continued to Ketchikan, losing another couple of days to weather, but only one in a row (twice).

I am 520 hours on the Hobbs, but when I don't have power I run the engine for two hours a day to top off my batteries. I have a 100 amp alternator, and a Honda 1000 w generator, but the engine is the most economical way to charge my batteries when I am not traveling. Obviously I prefer to travel, but with only 420 amp hours of AGM's I keep them up. I have a 40 quart Engel DC freezer to supplement my refrigerator freezer, mostly for coffee (whole bean) and meat, but there is some ice cream in there too.

When traveling I run at 2650 rpms, about 7 knots. When cruising I travel at 1850 rpms and about 5.5 knots. The alternator seems to charge the batteries fine even at relatively low rpms (1000) and I use maybe .25 gph to top off the batteries and it also makes hot water for showers and dishes.

The water maker uses 9 amps (DC) and I run it only when traveling so it has no battery draw down. Also I almost never shut my electronics down completely, and the stereo runs pretty much the whole time I am on board except when sleeping.

Hey Doug, Congrats man thats one hell of a trip to run all by yourself!! Would love to hear more about the adventure.

LOl just saw and read one of your adventure. Thank for the info. The knowledge will be useful for future endeavors.

Leaving Ketchikan my plan was to run the International waters on a three day run to Neah Bay, but the Windy forecast rapidly degraded to Gale Warnings, so I cut back inside Graham Island and then jumped from there back to the inside passages through Queen Charlotte Strait, past Dent and the rapids, and down to Anacortes.

I spent a few days in Anacortes, repaired the broken diverter valve on my septic system, and generally rested for the next leg of my voyage. It was a pleasure to be in a harbor like Anacortes, with everything at hand and familiar since it's where my boat was delivered when I purchased it in Virginia and had it trucked across the country.

Leaving Anacortes with full fuel and provisions I ran to Neah Bay, anchored for the night and proceeded down the coast to LaPush, which was a train wreck of a harbor. The docks literally had trees and grass growing out of them and it was extremely shallow. I wound up anchoring in the channel outside the harbor for the night and pushed on in the morning at first light.

I pushed down to Hoquiam, fighting my way against the current running 4.5 knots against me, and found the marina was full, shallow, and there was no harbor master available. I came in about dark, tied for the night in a 30 minute loading zone with 3' of water under the hull, and left in the morning when the docks became active. There is a long waiting list for slips, and the locals have taken pretty much all of the transient spaces. Kevin said he tied to the fuel dock for the night and left at sun up.

Things get better after that, with stops in Newport and Bandon, good docks, plenty of transient space, water under the hull. I had to stay in Bandon for a few days while weather blew past before running to Brookings, which was dark and poorly lighted, fumbling my way in and slowing down the local mariners until I finally pulled aside and let them lead me in.

I used my iPad for fine navigation in the channels, and it worked well and was very accurate. My autopilot has a Bluetooth remote control and I used it to steer while manipulating the iPad. The next morning I departed for Eureka where I stayed for several day (weather again) on Woodley Island, which had a marina with some security.

There is only one fuel dock in the entire area, next to the public marina, due to leasing by the city. So I topped off, as Bandon fueled boats from a fuel truck and I wasn't confident in the quality of the fuel due to low fuel turnover in the very small harbor.

I will continue the story at a later date, it's time to go wander the streets of Ensenada and become further acclimated to being in Mexico :)

Back
Top Bottom