Retired Life in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
This is retired life in Mexico!
No responsibilities.
Maybe check social media in the morning.
Go for a bike ride

Margaritas with the other cruisers at 5:00

What's the weather going to be today??? Warm and sunny.

Attachments

• C4BA499A-4274-4995-B650-AA946FB8A6FE.jpg
    C4BA499A-4274-4995-B650-AA946FB8A6FE.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 99B952F3-3E64-4B02-8C07-B95B9000F96B.jpg
    99B952F3-3E64-4B02-8C07-B95B9000F96B.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 39B47784-AC18-453B-810B-E00BF8EF9094.jpg
    39B47784-AC18-453B-810B-E00BF8EF9094.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 98
Sounds sweet!
Did you feel any ripples from the earthquake?

Hey Kevin. I'm down the road in Centro (downtown). Tacos de Camaron hoy! (Shrimp tacos today)

Peter 20220919_114524.jpg20220919_114928.jpg

If we could just get paid to do what your doing... LOL

If we could just get paid to do what your doing... LOL

You can make a small fortune cruising. Just have to start with a large fortune.....and know when to stop (I know, an oldie but a goodie).

You can make a small fortune cruising. Just have to start with a large fortune.....and know when to stop (I know, an oldie but a goodie).

LOL! Yes, I started with nothing, and I still have most of it left...

Hey Kevin,
How tough has it been to secure a slip in La Paz? I called a bunch of marinas there and everything was a wait list...... Someday I'll be there:)

Greetings,
Re: Post #2. "Did you feel any ripples from the earthquake?" Can an earthquake be felt on a boat short of a tsunami?

Mssrs. ks & mv. You fellows are getting VERY close to being on my "Naughty List" for posting the beauties of Mexico. Colour me...

iu

RTF, yes a good earthquake is felt on a boat.

KS, you tried Mariscos Moyeyo? One of my fav's.

The envy here is real.
Tacos are part of the culture in Mexico. If you have a Netflix subscription, watch "Taco Chronicles." About a dozen 1/2 hour episodes, walks through the country one taco at a time.

A good friend lives in Costa Rica. The food there is decent, but nothing like Mexico. The food here is so simple but freshly prepared. In the US, would be "farm to table" and charge a hefty premium. Here it's "rancho a la mesa" only because that's the supply chain.

My wife and I don't understand why it's so hard to get a good taco in the US yet in Mexico they range from good to exceptional.

Our current culinary excursion is Birria, a stewed meat (lamb or goat, occasionally beef) that is served in a bowl with tortillas on the side and the broth ("consume") on the side. It is exceptional.

And we have not even gotten to the epicurean heartbeat of Mexico- Oaxaca.

Americans have a monochromatic view of Mexico. I can tell you there are wonderful shades of rainbow. Mecico has some very difficult challenges with corruption and narco trade. But at the street level, an exceptional travel experience.

Peter

I’m a long time lurker and infrequent poster. This is my very favorite story (read all of them since before you left) on here. Kudos kevin you are an inspiration.
And Peter that was a nice ode to Mexico. I agree. Lot of nice beach towns. Haven’t been by boat. Yet

My wife is a Tapatia (from Guadalajara). I've been to every state in MX on my motorcycle & other forms of transport, but not yet by boat. She might take issue with Peter's assertion the Oaxaca is the heart of MX cuisine - but so would the people of Puebla, Mexico City, and probably most cities, towns & villages :)

This is of course what makes the cuisine so great - intense local pride, just like in Italy, France, etc. I love a lot of things about Mexico, but the food is right at the top of the list. Enjoy! Eat lots of fruit too - I remember the first time we got our kids one of the big cups of fruit that are prepared in front of your eyes by a street vendor - mango, orange, watermelon, papaya, maybe cucumber... add lime, salt, chile if you like, maybe chamoy (fermented plum sauce)... I usually just have it with lime. Anyway my kids took a couple of bites of the fruit and looked at us like: "why have you not told us that this exists?" It's really not much like the stuff we get in the US - the mangos in particular. Usually costs a dollar or two. Amazing.

Great stuff. Some serious questions though if I may, and I know they may sound silly to you….

How do you get medical and dental care

I studied Spanish from third grade through a year of college. That was over forty years ago for me. I can understand a bit still if spoken slowly enough, but certainly am not close to conversational anymore. Do I need to be.

Can you drink the water. Seriously.

Retired Life on the East coast

Between salivating and envy fits, reading these posts

Have done a lot of those wonderful moments while living on the West coast and spent precious time on both coastal Mexico and inland.

Since moving to the East coast (NC) those times are now impossible to recreate.

Have the time and the boat, BUT WHERE?

Have looked at the west coast of Mexico ,Veracruz for instance and found no options, short of getting close to the Isla Mujeres, Cancun and the extensive developments there, what experiences do you have?

As fall approaches, planning "going south"

Ideas?suggestions?

thanks

Vaya con Dios

Great stuff. Some serious questions though if I may, and I know they may sound silly to you….

How do you get medical and dental care

I studied Spanish from third grade through a year of college. That was over forty years ago for me. I can understand a bit still if spoken slowly enough, but certainly am not close to conversational anymore. Do I need to be.

Can you drink the water. Seriously.

I only have second hand info on medical and dental. I can tell you that there seems to be a brisk business of attracting gringos into border towns with American trained doctors and dentists. I'm sure some are better than others, but have heard several reports of very well equipped offices with American style care at very affordable costs.

My Spanish speaking skills are pretty poor. I have a lifetime subscription to Rocket language study which is good, but only if you practice. Ensenada has a fairly low percentage of English speakers. Rosarito 40 miles north is extremely popular with gringos and has a much higher percentage of English speakers. Bottom line is you can get by with a few words and phrases that are fairly easy. A little effort goes a long way. Complex conversations are impossible for me. If I buy the incorrect part or tool at a store, no way would I even attempt to return it.

Water. The Mexican water system is not designed to deliver potable water. Some areas are better than others, but tap water should always be assumed to be non-potable. Ensenada is a desert area with a lot of people. Water here is pretty bad. Larger hotels have their own water treatment facilities. Imodium is your friend.

5-gal water jugs are easily available at grocery stores and OXXO stores (a 7-11 style convenience store). Swap is around 40-pesos ($2 USD), or you can go to an ice store which has purified water and refill for about 20-pesos ($1 USD). If you want to refill tanks on your boat, most likely will be bottled water.

As you can tell, being embedded in Mexico isn't all margaritas and tacos. They do not have the same investment in infrastructure the US or Canada has. Not uncommon to have lengthy electricity, internet, or water outages. Once in Playa del Carmen, cell service was out for a day. Not uncommon to approach a traffic light and all the lights are out. Sometimes for weeks.

It's not for everybody. I have several friends who view Mexico as a dangerous place full of people who mean them harm. When they go to a taco stand, they avoid any condiments on their taco for fear of water contamination - a plain taco is as interesting as a plain hamburger with no bun. These friends enjoy all-inclusive resort style placed that present a highly curated vacation experience. Occasionally they will venture out to a restaurant with stellar Trip Advisor reviews, but only cautiously (tip: eat at the place next door).

You have to have your mind in a certain place of acceptance to travel in Mexico. Most of the street food vendors have no electricity so no refrigeration. But when you see they are only open for a few hours and everything is cooked on-site with virtually no holding time, you realize it's all good. In cities with Saturday markets, it's an amazing experience. Whole hogs are brought in and butchered early in the morning and sold within a few hours. For folks who enjoy cooking, it's fascinating to see how different cultures butcher meat- Mexicans eat the entire animal. What's particularly interesting is there is very little variation in price (in the US, some cuts are prized, others are not).

Not for every taste. But if you have a cultural curiosity abiut travel and can accept the downsides, it's a great experience.

Peter

My wife and I don't understand why it's so hard to get a good taco in the US yet in Mexico they range from good to exceptional
Peter

AZ, NM and TX have outstanding Mexican cuisine plus it comes without Montezuma's revenge!

Between salivating and envy fits, reading these posts

Have done a lot of those wonderful moments while living on the West coast and spent precious time on both coastal Mexico and inland.

Since moving to the East coast (NC) those times are now impossible to recreate.

Have the time and the boat, BUT WHERE?

Have looked at the west coast of Mexico ,Veracruz for instance and found no options, short of getting close to the Isla Mujeres, Cancun and the extensive developments there, what experiences do you have?

As fall approaches, planning "going south"

Ideas?suggestions?

thanks

Vaya con Dios
I've spent a lot of time in the Yucatan area, though not by boat. That will change somewhere down the line as Weebles works her way to Florida.

Best i can tell, there is no attraction on the belly of the Mexican gulf coast (Vera Cruz area). There are some commercial ports and a fair amount of offshore drilling with support vessels, but not much of interest for a recreational boat.

Jaunt from Florida to Isla Mujeres is about 400 nms. Cruises gulf stream twice so there is some challenge. Per pilot charts, May is the best month, but you have hurrican season starting June 1, so something to consider.

Isla Mujeres is a popular cruiser hangout, sort of old school.

Puerto Aventuras, south of Playa del Carmen (45-mins south of Cancun) is a large basin with several marinas, homes and condos, and restaurants. Roughly similar to Marina del Rey on west coast.

There are a few other marinas including some in the Cancun area, but most are more commercial in nature. To my knowledge, there is not a lot of dawdling and anchoring like there is in the Keys or Bahamas. At least until you much further south towards Belize, Rio Dulce (Guatemala), and Honduras Bay Islands.

Peter

AZ, NM and TX have outstanding Mexican cuisine plus it comes without Montezuma's revenge!
I actually had a decent taco on my drive from Colorado a couple months ago - a friend mentioned there was a food truck in Filmore Utah of all places.

I havent spent much time in Arizona except the interstate, but I've eaten at a lot of Mexican restaurants in Texas and New Mexico (which has its own distnctive style of food - heavy on chiles which i love). The food can be good (I do love TexMex), but not same caliber, even when serving a very local and Mexican clientele. Tortillas are rarely warmed (a cardinal sin). Meat has been chopped in batches vs chopped to order just like better BBQ joints do (makes a difference). Salsa is heavily tomato based vs chile based (there are dozens and dozens of different types of chiles, dried and fresh, all with different atrributes). Tortillas are rarely freshly made - they are delivered every hour or two to taquerias. Cevicje is prepared to orfer, not in large batches. Cooks are some sort of line cook vs an owner with passion and years of reputation. In the end, taco stands in Mexico often serve one type of taco . The fish taco stands serve fish or shrimp tacos. Thats it. If you want a meat (beef or pork) taco, go somewhere else. If you want birria (stewed meat), you go somewhere else - your choice is lamb, goat, or beef. Large or small. If you want carnitas taco (large chunks of pork shoulder cooked in large vats of oil), you go to a carnitas place. The salsas are all made fresh all day long, not one giant tub. The avocado is sliced right out of the skin and dropped onto the taco. In some regions, al pastor (marinated pork on a vertical roaster) is served with pineapple that rotates on the top of the spit and is cut and tossed ceremoniously onto the taco. In some regions, game is popular so you'll see deer served. Some areas the tacos are more stewed meat - turkey is popular in some areas and cooked in a black, charred sauce that is mouthwatering. Or the pigs are pit roasted for hours (Yucatan cochinita pibil). All labor intensive preparations that are simply not possible in America's highly processes and streamlined world of restaurants dominated by Sysco food deliveries.

Okay, I've probably had too many tacos. But they never cease to amaze me.

Peter

Edit: I have had virtually no issues with stomach problems beyond normal travelers diarrhea which happens at home too.

Last edited:
Great pictures! I'll be back in La Paz in October. I can't wait! For all of you expressing interest in boating down there, just do it! It is fabulous! This will be my ninth season down there.:dance::dance:

Salud! Bill

Maybe I’m the outlier, but I get bored quickly without more adventurous things to do such as traveling to see the sights, etc. Even the Sea of Cortez after a week anchoring out and I got stir crazy. The heat can do that to me too. I definitely couldn’t spend a winter there, great tacos and margaritas not withstanding!

I've spent a lot of time in the Yucatan area, though not by boat. That will change somewhere down the line as Weebles works her way to Florida.

Best i can tell, there is no attraction on the belly of the Mexican gulf coast (Vera Cruz area). There are some commercial ports and a fair amount of offshore drilling with support vessels, but not much of interest for a recreational boat.

Jaunt from Florida to Isla Mujeres is about 400 nms. Cruises gulf stream twice so there is some challenge. Per pilot charts, May is the best month, but you have hurrican season starting June 1, so something to consider.

Isla Mujeres is a popular cruiser hangout, sort of old school.

Puerto Aventuras, south of Playa del Carmen (45-mins south of Cancun) is a large basin with several marinas, homes and condos, and restaurants. Roughly similar to Marina del Rey on west coast.

There are a few other marinas including some in the Cancun area, but most are more commercial in nature. To my knowledge, there is not a lot of dawdling and anchoring like there is in the Keys or Bahamas. At least until you much further south towards Belize, Rio Dulce (Guatemala), and Honduras Bay Islands.

Peter
======================
I included all of your post because that is my experience, it is amazing such a huge track of coast (the Yucatan Peninsula) and so little to offer the small boat owner.

I continue to explore my "going south" and as you have pointed out is not an easy sail or even motoring with currents and prevailing winds.

Have registered my boat with the Salty Dogs for their Rally to the Caribbean and yet longing for what Mexico offers in contrast to the Islands (for my lifestyle and preferences)

A picture tells a thousand words.

Attachments

• 017335F3-F64B-463E-B557-C84C975F7921.jpg
    017335F3-F64B-463E-B557-C84C975F7921.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 31
Belize, Rio Dulce (Guatemala), and Honduras Bay Islands.

When I sailed back home from Panama, I bypassed Belize, back in the late 90's checking in was rather difficult, Port captain offices were inland and involved an inconvenient travel, perhaps that has changed.
Rio Dulce could be an alternative?

A picture tells a thousand words.

Adobada! Mmmmm....

Tortillas de arena? I'm still not used to the northern MX wheat tortillas vs southern MX corn, but they are delicious as well.

Man does that look good.

Edit: in Mexico City they call wheat tortilla tacos "Tacos Arabes" or "Arabic Tacos"; some sort of cultural mashup that happened long ago with shawarma. Corn is of course indigenous to MX as wheat is to Persia. I love this kind of thing.

Edit 2: Harina! Not Arena! Thx for the correction Peter. Arena means sand so you definitely don't want those tacos...

Last edited:
Adobada! Mmmmm....

Tortillas de arena? I'm still not used to the northern MX wheat tortillas vs southern MX corn, but they are delicious as well.

Man does that look good.

Edit: in Mexico City they call wheat tortilla tacos "Tacos Arabes" or "Arabic Tacos"; some sort of cultural mashup that happened long ago with shawarma. Corn is of course indigenous to MX as wheat is to Persia. I love this kind of thing.

I was never a fan of flour tortillas.....until I spent some time in northern Baja. The tortillas de harina (flour vs corn/maiz) here are excellent. They bear very little resemblance to the flour tortillas north of the border. Here they are a bit chewy and elastic, and usually fairly thin. When they heat them, they puff-up into big pillows that immediately collapse. Rosarito, between Ensenada and Tijuana, has their own style of tacos which are quite a bit bigger. Attached is a picture of a taqueria in Rosarito that serves only grilled beef tacos called "perones." Cooked over an open fire and served with guacamole and grilled green onions/jalapenos - something to behold.

Vertical spit-roasted meat is apparently fairly new to Mexico, really since the 1950s. They pagiarized shwarma or something. Early in the morning, you will see the shops loading-up their spits with layers of marinated meat, a great difference from the American restaurants that purchase some sort of pressed loaf of meat specifically fabricated for vertical spit roasting. It's the differnce between a gyro in Greece vs the US.

Peter

El Yaqui Rosarito.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom