Ever notice......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floridakeyz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sterling Lady
There is some good news about the fuel crisis , and economy crisis,, the big boys in their Sea RAys are seldom out, and if they are, they are going slow.

I haven't been waked in months!

smile.gif

Sterling
MV Sterling Lady
Slowly crawling south.

Attachments

• lady.jpg
    lady.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 82
YES!

I also noticed that virtually every cruiser who came through this little corner of the universe this year was a ragboat. I have never, ever been waked by a ragboat.

Oh just wait! I had one blast past me in the Clear Creek Channel one time throwing a pretty good wake for a snailbote! He had to have his engine going full throttle, weaving in and out of traffic, just an A-hole!

Of course I returned the favor later once we got out in the open. I mean, with my two 400 hp mercruisers, I just had to get up on plane to pass him!
smile.gif
*This was with my previous boat of course.

I have never, ever been waked by a ragboat.

Guess you made nice passes and were not on anyones sh** list.

Our 90/90 like most boats has a way oversized engine Rated 35 hp Volvo , but its at least hand startable.

We use 3/4 gph at 6.5K which is about 13hp, the mechanical reefer can ad an other 10 , for a half hour , then drops to 2-4hp.

2 150A alts can probably take another 2 each .

So on start after e or 4 quiet days out , the engine does get to work for a couple of hours.

But after a day motoring on the ditch the fridge is happy and the batts are floating.

The Volvo folks rate this engine at 15hp when a single cylinder , 25hp when twin cyl.

So there keeping a good deal in reserve rating it at 35hp.

Naturally we have a cruising prop which is oversized 19dia so can absorb mucho HP.

When given a crappy pass by a marine motorist , we simply note the name and wait.

Eventually he will be found tied alongside one of the many 1/2 mile long docks parallel to the ICW , that are EZ to come alongside.

1500rpm is 6.5 but flank gets us up to 7.4K.

Sure with the slight overload we blow black smoke , but with a north sea exhaust ,(out the side) and water lift wet wxhaust , its really hard to see.

At 7.4 our transomed stern design immerses the stern about 2 extra feet!

And we toss a nice 3ft wave.

Nice to watch the bouncing 10 min after we pass.

Agreed it solves nothing , but sure seems rewarding !!

Hey Sterling, what kind of boat is that?

DOug

Dougcole wrote:

Hey Sterling, what kind of boat is that?

DOug
It's a Heritage West Indian.....a Boat at the VERY TOP of our list.* If my boat was sold right now, I would be all over it.* Charlie Morgan(of Sailboat fame) designed it and Chris Craft built the last few.* I think there were only 60ish built but I may be wrong about that.

The Sterling Lady is for sale, sorta, to the right buyer.

I figured that out, thanks Sterling. I enjoyed your website BTW.

I saw one other heritage, it doesn't have a lower helm station, right? (That is a good thing for my kind of cruising). I'm a big fan of Charlie Morgan's boats, my current Gulfstar is named Morgan after our now deceased lab, who was named after Morgan boats.

Anyway, it is a really beautiful boat, good luck selling her. What are you asking?

Doug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom