SH Skull Creek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Hippocampus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
Wondering if anyone has experience or opinions about Safe Harbor Skull Creek in Hilton Head SC? Thinking of putting the boat there for a month or two in order to take a break and come home for family time.
Also wonder if anyone has knowledge of good techs/vendors nearby. Apparently Skull Creek is not a service yard?
Thanks in advance.

Skull Creek marina used to be a nice place to stop. It seemed a bit away from the heartbeat of Hilton Head so transportation is desired...if leaving for a month it would be OK but is not a hurricane hole at all...been destroyed at least once I know of.

Last edited:
A bit farther north just south of Charleston is a well known yard with a good rep...

https://www.rossmarine.com/

Another just north of Beaufort, SC..... but I don't know much about them but a good rep too.

https://marshharborboatworks.com/

The real deals are down in Thunderbolt near Savannah (not far from Hilton Head) and they include Hinkley and Thunderbolt Marine which was the old Palmer Johnson yard.

I kept my sailboar at Skull Creek when we lived in Atlanta and dropped down to HH to sail and hang out on the weekends. It was a great marina, and then the yard did minor work. This was 25 years ago.

Skull Creek did get devastated by hurricane XX and the northern group of floating piles were over topped so all of the boats piled up along the center pier. That was just a 100 year (yeah I know) storm and it may not reoccur. Your MMV.

We enjoyed the HH restaurants as well as sailing to Beaufort and anchoring out. Beaufort has a nice dinghy dock which also allows bigger boats to tie up alongside during the day.

David

We have stayed there overnight a cople times and it seems like a well built and well run marina. I can't think of a reason not to leave your boat there.

R see that you’re from that region. Any suggestions on service people? Divers, techs, wrenches?

Very cool I have a friend with a boat there now and we own a 60 ft slip in Harbor Town. He likes the location and I think they have upgraded most of the marina.

i have a broker friend, nicest broker in the business no kidding who has all the contacts that can save you a few bucks with reasonable services. I’ve known this guy for over 30 years, honest and dependable. Tim Thomas Quarter Deck Yachts 843.338.2577. https://quarterdeckyachts.com/about-us/

Also, if you get to Harbor Town let me know and I will send you a code for the top deck, bar etc. Best view on the island to see the sunsets etc and overlooks the marina.

Www.htyc.com

Restaurants, our favorite is Ombra www.ombrahhi.com. We still like CQs near HHYC www.cqsrestaurant.com, and Michael Anthonys www.Michael-Anthonys.com

Ask Tim about boatyards and services. If we are there love to have a drink with you and share some stories.

Final note, don’t miss this event:

Hilton Head Island Concours d’ Elegance and Motoring Festival. Wonderful event, great cars, and they have a weekend of aircraft at the airfield which adjoins the Port Royal Plantation golf course where the event it held. We will miss it this year traveling to the Clemson Notre Dame game sadly. Love this event.... www.hhiconcours.com

A Dopo

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has experience or opinions about Safe Harbor Skull Creek in Hilton Head SC? Thinking of putting the boat there for a month or two in order to take a break and come home for family time.
Also wonder if anyone has knowledge of good techs/vendors nearby. Apparently Skull Creek is not a service yard?
Thanks in advance.
What services do you need? Haul Out? Bottom job -if so, best locally is Marsh Harbour Boatworks in Beaufort, SC just N of the bridge. In Beaufort without haulout facilities:City Marina and Ladys Island Marina both of which are easy access of AICW (best at slack tide) Lady's Island is closer to grocery shopping. Beaufort City is downtown with lots of restaurants and bars with short Uber across bridge to Lady's Island grocery shopping.
On HHI, Skull Creek is fine - not close to anything, and although right on the AICW, this is not a formal "No Wake" zone and fairly exposed to N & S winds. Current is brisk so slack tide optimal for inner dock approaches. More protected on HHI include: Windmill Harbour where I keep my boat, (inside a lock, 2 local restaurants, no marine services/haul out but very secure as inside a gated community). Shelter Cove Marina - pricey, no marine services/haul out & a fair way up Broad Creek (all a no wake zone) but protected & very close to multiple bars, restaurants, and shopping. Palmetto Bay: - recently rebuilt so make sure your electrical system is compatible with the new ELCI Dock receptacles. Has haul out, local restaurant and short Uber to Coligny Beach & main HHI attractions, short trip up Broad Creek but also significant current. Harbour Town Marina: -no marine services on site & pricey but several restaurants etc., no current, was recently rebuilt after Hurricane Mathew so make sure your electrical system is compatible with the new ELCI Dock receptacles.

All good information. Thanks. Current concern is how much destruction from the hurricane and flooding.

All good information. Thanks. Current concern is how much destruction from the hurricane and flooding.
Essentially none, Ian landed way N of here, N wind do no surge, max winds 50-60. Back to normal now. ( We are so very fortunate).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom