Seattle area boat yard recommendation, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BCRyan

Vessel Name
MISTRESS
Vessel Make
Horizon 76 Skylounge
Hello, I'm looking for a shipyard in the Seattle area to haul our boat and perform some stabilizer work on it (new fin seals) plus a couple other minor items. We're new to the area and hoping that someone might know of the obvious place or two to call.

Boat is approximately 60 tons with a beam of 19', length is 76'.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

we use seaview boatyard. Check out mv freedom you tube channel. They just pulled there boat and did the fins and other work.

If you have Naiads, get in touch with Pacific Yacht Management and see if Doug can work on your boat. He’s been working on Naiad as long as anyone and he’s excellent. Doug and a helper came up to Anacortes last time my boat was hauled out to do the seals.

we use seaview boatyard. Check out mv freedom you tube channel. They just pulled there boat and did the fins and other work.

If you have Naiads, get in touch with Pacific Yacht Management and see if Doug can work on your boat. He’s been working on Naiad as long as anyone and he’s excellent. Doug and a helper came up to Anacortes last time my boat was hauled out to do the seals.

Thank you both for the quick and excellent recommendations, thank you. And yes, I do have Naiads, so that's especially good to know about Doug!

S3 Marine works on Stabilizers. They might be related to Pacific Yacht Management, I’m not sure about their relationship.

I use S3 Maritime for my Naiad maintenance. They can come
to wherever you get hauled out in the area.

Not related specifically to stabilizers, but I had a very bad experience at Seaview Boatyard (Bellingham but same company) and do not recommend them. Due to this experience, I question their honesty. Just my experience and fully realize others may have had differing experiences.

Not related specifically to stabilizers, but I had a very bad experience at Seaview Boatyard (Bellingham but same company) and do not recommend them. Due to this experience, I question their honesty. Just my experience and fully realize others may have had differing experiences.

This reflects my opinion of Seaview boat Yard in Seattle.

Thank you for this. Seaview told me that their Seattle (Ballard) location couldn't handle our 19' beam, so they have me scheduled for haul-out up at their Bellingham location. I'm not thrilled about having to make that long round trip (boat is currently in Lake Union).

Any other recommendations besides Seaview?

CSR has a good reputation (in the lake) but is pricier. We typically head up to Port Townsend as it’s a co-op and diy friendly yard.

With the size of your boat you may want to reach out to commercial yards. Because you are on Lake Union Pacific Fisherman Shipyard and Stabbert Yacht and Ship could be good choices.

A bit of advice when putting a yacht into a workboat yard. Be sure they will allow you to use the vendor / sub contractor of your choice should you want to use the servicers mentioned above thread. Understand these are workboat yards. You may want to draft a contract for the work you expect the yard to do. Were it my boat this would include protecting the decks etc from scuff marks. Easy enough to do but you will have to pay for it. The crew in these yards are used to workboats and will come aboard in work boots that have walked through all manner of stuff in the yard. Depending up the lift they use yard crew may need to be aboard for line handling.

Pacific Marine Center in Anacortes is equipped to handle vessels of your size and larger. It is the big boat facility in Anacortes. Talk to Todd.

Pacific Marine Center
2302 T Avenue
Anacortes, WA 98221
360-299-8820

This post very much reflects my feelings. Haven BoatWorks in Port Townsend.

Great, thank you both. I have a call into Boat Haven in Port Townsend. Their haul and yard storage rates are very competitive, hauling ~$500 less then Seaview.

Pacific Marine Center in Anacortes is equipped to handle vessels of your size and larger. It is the big boat facility in Anacortes. Talk to [/QUOTE said:
I could not disagree more. I had them do a project, it went south, they were very reluctant to fix their oops,

Port Townsend Boat Haven - Pros

This reply does not address the OP stabilizer needs specifically, but may add value as Port Townsend (PT) Boat Haven is mentioned.

We hauled at PT one year ago. The Port of PT yard employees were ALL prompt, polite, experienced, and very conscientious. They continued to add value through our week there with suggestions, answers, and a general, “yes, we can accommodate” or “you can find what you need at xxx” to every reasonable request. The scheduling office was very positive and easy to work with as I coordinated dates with the service business, arrival moorage, and final payment/departure moorage. The yard guys were “taken care of” after the haul and after the launch. This was an exceptional experience and I recommend them without hesitation.

I do not recommend the PT service business we contracted with. They were unable to complete much of the work we specifically agreed to and scheduled in advance, and were less than candid as the week progressed. The service manager (still there) claims to be a cruiser - initially providing some confidence - but leaving an even more bitter taste at the end because he must know better than to treat fellow cruisers in this fashion. Please PM if additional details are desired.

This reply does not address the OP stabilizer needs specifically, but may add value as Port Townsend (PT) Boat Haven is mentioned.

We hauled at PT one year ago. The Port of PT yard employees were ALL prompt, polite, experienced, and very conscientious. They continued to add value through our week there with suggestions, answers, and a general, “yes, we can accommodate” or “you can find what you need at xxx” to every reasonable request.... .

Thank you, Jeff - great feedback on this yard. Still waiting to hear back from them regarding a potential haul-out; hopefully we'll get something scheduled today.

Cheers!

CSR has a good reputation (in the lake) but is pricier. We typically head up to Port Townsend as it’s a co-op and diy friendly yard.

+1 for CSR. We use CSR for our boat with 18' beam and they have always treated us great. S3 will meet your boat at CSR for any work too. They have serviced our Wesmar stabilizers there multiple times now.

-tozz

+1 for CSR. We use CSR for our boat with 18' beam and they have always treated us great. S3 will meet your boat at CSR for any work too. They have serviced our Wesmar stabilizers there multiple times now.

-tozz

I find this combo to be one of the most professional in Seattle. Not the cheapest but sometimes money is not what’s most important.

I find this combo to be one of the most professional in Seattle. Not the cheapest but sometimes money is not what’s most important.

Thank you both. Just spoke with Tom there and unfortunately they are booked out through the end of October. Seaview (Bellingham) can get me out a month sooner; Port of Port Townsend isn't available until Oct 17th.

I guess I'll need to be patient -- it's that time of year when everyone wants to have work done...

Thank you both. Just spoke with Tom there and unfortunately they are booked out through the end of October. Seaview (Bellingham) can get me out a month sooner; Port of Port Townsend isn't available until Oct 17th.

I guess I'll need to be patient -- it's that time of year when everyone wants to have work done...

Try Nordlnds in Tacoma. They’re a full service facility. They might not have filled up yet. Ask for Rick Tinsley.

Do not under any circumstances, go to Salmon Falls boatyard.

Actually, the yards have been backed up for 2 years now. It’s not a case of the season is over and everyone wants their boat worked on. The work that is there now are the ones who called last May to get their boats ready for the summer.

I called in January and couldn’t get in until June.

boat yard recommendation

We recently had a Freedom Lift davit installed. S3 did an excellent job - of course, while the boat was hauled out, found other things that needed repair/
They were prompt and did a great job of providing us with estimates and keeping us apprised of costs along they way. Very happy with the service and level of professionalism.

Seaview Bham is running a promo presently. Half off the cost of the haulout if you get their bottom paint package. They run this throughout the year when they get slack for work. I missed it for my haulout this time.:banghead:

I had good service from Platypus Marine in Pt Angelas sime years ago. Port Townsend is another good broad service option. Get your bottom painted while it is out of the water.

Thank you to all for the recommendations. After finding it impossible to get S3 to return my phone call (they must have more business than they can handle), I decided to select Pt Townsend Boatyard and do the new stabilizer seals and other misc work myself.

I understand that this is a DIY yard and all tools must be supplied by me. But I have one question for anyone who has been there: Are there truly no ladders or stairs made available? If that's true (as they state), then I guess I'll need to bring my own ladder and remember to take it off the boat prior to them lifting...

Talk to the foreperson running the yard crew (usually the hoist operator) when you get there. They were incredibly helpful to me 14 months ago, and they produced a ladder. As previously mentioned, a "greased palm" was appreciated and subsequently earned.

What brand of stabilizers are you servicing? I am interested in helping you for the experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom