AC outlets to AC/USB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsaitz

Vessel Name
Cheers
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 35
ST35

Has anyone been able to replace the AC outlets with ones that are AC and USB? The outlets are a bit non-standard so not sure if such exists. Thx

Yes, it's been done. There may be some bleed over to ground in the outlets which may cause some of the most sensitive power pedestal breakers to trip.

I'm still researching whether I will do this on my boat. If I do, it will likely be only 2 or 3 as the bleed over is cumulative. Would also suggest buying 1st quality outlets like Leviton.

Ted

I'd make sure to get one that has only USB-C. Those old school USB Type A ports are likely looking more dated by the day with everything that has gone or is going to USB-C.

You can get outlets with one of each type or USB.

Ted

You can get outlets with one of each type or USB.

Ted

Yup. I'd just like to suggest all Type C. You can use a mixed type cable for any old Type A devices. And in a couple years, there will be no use for the Type A at all. The outlets will date themselves like screws on a wall plate for dipole TV antennas.

ST35

Has anyone been able to replace the AC outlets with ones that are AC and USB? The outlets are a bit non-standard so not sure if such exists. Thx

Pop one of the face plates off and look for a brand name. Likely Vimar. They may a whole slew of module types. Including AC-to-USB

https://www.vimar.com/en/int/catalog/product/index/code/09292.CM
https://www.vimar.com/en/int/catalog/product/index/code/09292.C.CM

But unless you want a SINGLE outlet I'd still go with a plug-in module, especially one that supported more than one device. Charging standards have changed a lot in the past decade and will no doubt continue to change. But meanwhile AC outlets are the same as they ever were. You can swap out a plug-in module for a lot less time and money than swapping hard-wired modules.

Back
Top Bottom