I have a new boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tidahapah

Guru
Vessel Name
Flora
Vessel Make
Timber southern cray boat
About 7 months ago I decided that I would sell Tidahapah and possibly buy a smaller boat that is more suitable for single handing.
Well she sold about 8 weeks ago and as much as i was not going to get another timber boat here I am with a very old southern cray boat.

Myself and my favourite boat builder did an inspection some 8 weeks ago and I made a silly offer. A little increase and she was mine. No out of water inspection , just as is where is.
I have been up to see her and now waiting for our lockdown to be lifted so that I can go north to Mackay, haul Flora out , renew all skin fittings, repack stern gland , sand and paint plus new antifoul.
Just need to get her ready for a trip south to Manly, Brisbane. Probably about a 2 week trip. Day sailing only plus good weather.
She is 39 ft, 5 ft draft and 12ft 6" beam, built in 1948 but not sure where.
Main engine a Perkins 6-354.
She is a project, still has fish hold and a couple of bunks down the forecastle.
I just want to make a nice comfortable fishing/cruising boat out of her and not to fancy.
Lets see how it all pans out.

Here are some photos.
I have just purchased a new #5 Sarca Excel from Rex, gotta keep her safe when I am out there.

Attachments

• DSC06437 (Medium).jpg
    DSC06437 (Medium).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC06442 (Medium).jpg
    DSC06442 (Medium).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC06450 (Medium).jpg
    DSC06450 (Medium).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC06458 (Medium).jpg
    DSC06458 (Medium).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC06478 (Medium).jpg
    DSC06478 (Medium).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6774.jpg
    IMG_6774.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6778.jpg
    IMG_6778.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 37
  • ph2.jpg
    ph2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 39
Looks nice... Congrats! Enjoy, stay safe!!

I can sure see why you were drawn to her. Nice!

I hope the time until you can get to her passes quickly (lots of time for mental planning anyway).

Good luck with the trip south and ongoing resto.
You have made a good choice with the new Sarca Excel, I’m about to do the same, they are getting great reviews for excellent holding in most bottom types

Good luck with the trip south and ongoing resto.
You have made a good choice with the new Sarca Excel, I’m about to do the same, they are getting great reviews for excellent holding in most bottom types
Yes have been a Sarca Excel fan for many years. I first installed one on Tidahapah about 12 years ago and also had one of the 2 piece aluminium ones as a spare.

I love that bridge. The white helm helps brighten up and modernize the look, which could be overly dark if it were varnished wood also. BTW, is that a pre-fab fiberglass ship's helm, or was it custom built?

Your city's name ... "Mooloolaba" ... you Aussies know how to enjoy life!

Congrats on your new boat. Pretty lines.

Nice one Benn, will be perfect size for next phase of "mucking about in a boat". Less acreage of stuff to maintain and cheaper marina berthing will be a nice bonus too.

She looks fine Benn!

Also very sensible of you to limit any shock to your system by sticking to timber and only reducing 10ft for your first downsize.

the fact that you re purchased another timber vessel gives me lots of hope :dance:

Have just completed my first haul out. Changed out all the skin fittings, have done some minor timber repairs plus an engine service. All filters changed out. Steering checked out and linkage bulked up where required.
Back to Mackay next week for trials and then the voyage home. With good weather should be about 10 days.

Sounds good Benn, have a great trip down.

Well it's 12 months down the track and FV Flora and I are still together.
After the solo trip down the coast, Mackay to Manly Harbour (Brisbane) I parked up with only one trip out. This was the "Event That Stops The Bay" a first edition a gathering of nearly 100 timber cruisers of all sizes 20 odd to 70 odd feet.
I am now down at Gold Coast City marina for my annual haul out and some major rot eradication. Shorten up the fish hold hatch for some deck chair space in front of the wheel house.
various other jobs, replace a couple of deck beams and renew the gunnel rail and planks , stem to stern.
So far going well. I had done some prelim work alongside before heading down to the yard.
Still a lot of work to do but she will be nice and firm when we have finished.

Attachments

• IMG_7769.JPG
    IMG_7769.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7859.jpg
    IMG_7859.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7861.jpg
    IMG_7861.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7863.jpg
    IMG_7863.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7865.jpg
    IMG_7865.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7867.jpg
    IMG_7867.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7874.jpg
    IMG_7874.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7878.jpg
    IMG_7878.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7879.jpg
    IMG_7879.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7881.jpg
    IMG_7881.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 14
It does sound like quite a bit of work Benn! Glad to hear that its going well.

Wood boats have likeness to a body builder's body. Keep em in shape and few big items go wrong to need repair. Let it go for too long... well... see Benn's photos.

Good luck Benn! I'm sure she'll be near perfect when you finish.

I'm a 70 yr old lifetime weight-lifter, body builder; with a really cool gym I built next to my office - nearly 30 years ago. Before that I worked out with professional weight lifters in "Worlds Gym"... Arnie's favorite! And... in the 1960's / 70's I did restoration work on a lot of woodies in South Shore LI boat yards!

I know of what I speak! :thumb:

Well built fiberglass boat is basically a no muss, no fuss blast to use and maintain. :speed boat: :dance:

Last edited:
Progress. All new gunnel post now installed, decking down, 2 layers 18 mm ply glassed over. This has now all been bogged and ready for painting. Next will be the cap rail and then the gunnel planks.
The fish hold hatch has been shortened to give some deck room in front of the wheel house. I was going to raise the fish hold hatch, but not this time.
The mast has been sanded back, 2 coats of high build undercoat and a coat of Perfection 2 pack gloss, the same for the bullwark cleats.
Bloody good progress for just over a weeks work, great team and they really crack on.

Attachments

• IMG_7887.jpg
    IMG_7887.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7888.jpg
    IMG_7888.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7889.jpg
    IMG_7889.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7890.jpg
    IMG_7890.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7891.jpg
    IMG_7891.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7892.jpg
    IMG_7892.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7893.jpg
    IMG_7893.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 11
Great progress Benn. Who is doing the work?

Great effort and work completed!

Great progress Benn. Who is doing the work?
Thanks Bruce.
Doug Fielding and his team at Regatta marine based at Gold Coast City Marina are the team. Doug and his 3 are are great team and he also looked after Tidahapah every year from 2013 on wards until I sold her.
Great timber boat builder/repairer with a good hold of modern materials.

A big job Ben, but not unexpected in the areas being rebuilt. It’s good to find clever shipwrights who can work quickly and efficiently.

Keep the post updated, I’m keen to follow progress.

Looks like a great restoration Benn. However, even though not cheap, you are clearly having a ton of fun doing it. :thumb:

OK , more progress photos. As of the end of last week.
I think I will be out of the water for another 10 to 14 days.

Attachments

• IMG_7910.jpg
    IMG_7910.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7911.jpg
    IMG_7911.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7912.jpg
    IMG_7912.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7915.jpg
    IMG_7915.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7916.jpg
    IMG_7916.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7917.jpg
    IMG_7917.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7918.jpg
    IMG_7918.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7920.jpg
    IMG_7920.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7921.jpg
    IMG_7921.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 18
Being a life long masonry, concrete and tile building contractor... just gotta say... not that I mean anything other than "been there - done that"! Close the big door if an OSHA official comes anywhere near on site. That scaffold arrangement is amusingly remarkable! LOL

Being a life long masonry, concrete and tile building contractor... just gotta say... not that I mean anything other than "been there - done that"! Close the big door if an OSHA official comes anywhere near on site. That scaffold arrangement is amusingly remarkable! LOL
Art, We are working in Australia and all is good with our arrangements,
Gees I even put on work boots some days.
I work in the Offshore industry for many , many years so was up to the eyeballs with OH&S people. Glad to be retired.
More updates next week.

Art, We are working in Australia and all is good with our arrangements,
Gees I even put on work boots some days.
I work in the Offshore industry for many , many years so was up to the eyeballs with OH&S people. Glad to be retired.
More updates next week.

:thumb::D:dance::speed boat:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom